Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Acid influx

Yikes, I did a really bone-headed thing last night. The battery died on my Audi, so I put it on the charger at the 35 amp setting, then promptly forgot the whole thing and let it sit overnight. I just went out there and smelled sulfur pretty strongly. The battery sits under the rear seat and there was steam and hissing coming out from under there. I'm a bit freaked out, 'cause there's moisture all over the under seat area, which also houses most of the car's ECUs and such. I think I should try to discharge the battery before I disconnect the cables, but I'm afraid to turn the ignition on with all that moisture and overvoltage. It really looks like that thing could blow at any moment. I'm thinking of neutralizing the moisture/acid(?) with baking soda. Any thoughts or experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Yikes, I did a really bone-headed thing last night. The battery died on my Audi, so I put it on the charger at the 35 amp setting, then promptly forgot the whole thing and let it sit overnight. I just went out there and smelled sulfur pretty strongly. The battery sits under the rear seat and there was steam and hissing coming out from under there. I'm a bit freaked out, 'cause there's moisture all over the under seat area, which also houses most of the car's ECUs and such. I think I should try to discharge the battery before I disconnect the cables, but I'm afraid to turn the ignition on with all that moisture and overvoltage. It really looks like that thing could blow at any moment. I'm thinking of neutralizing the moisture/acid(?) with baking soda. Any thoughts or experience with this?
Let it sit for a few days and everything will be alright, Trust me I know.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately, that's not an option. I have to move the car so the construction guys can work on my shop. Thankfully, it appears that the moisture under the seat is in fact just condensation and not acid--wheeiuwww!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Shart?

Over-voltage is a danger from a faulty alternator/rectifier. Each cell of the battery has an absolute maximum output of about 2.15 volts, irrespective to how much/long it has been charged.

You do however want to avoid any ignition source in the vicinity of the battery until it has finished gassing and cooled. Hydrogen/air at certain ratios is spectacularly explosive.

The condensate is almost certainly acidic* - taste each patch of it it. Make up a solution of bicarbonate of soda and sponge the whole area thoroughly. If left, the concentration of the acid increases as the water evaporates.

The battery may well be toast. Is it possible to determine the level of electrolyte left in it?

*On reflection, I think 'sealed' batteries have a system to retain H2SO4 fumes, but taste the damp patches anyway.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca

Last edited by Smackrattle; 01-04-2009 at 12:32 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Well, the only reason I thought that it wasn't acid, is that it didn't fizz when I sprinkled baking soda on it. You're right, it no doubt is acidic. I dropped some soda on the top of the battery and that stuff went berzerk. Frankly, I'm scared to even get close that the boiling hissing tinderbox right now. That battery is a goner, for sure. The fuckin' car smells like an outhouse, too.

Whudda dumbshit
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
I'm surprised your charger delivers 35 amps for charging. Did you borrow it from TK?? Are you sure that's not the cranking 'boost' setting? 10 amps is considered high for a car battery, with 3-5 amps recommended under most circumstances. At 35 amps you are delivering just about 500 watts. Think of the heat produced from 5x 100 watt bulbs.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
It's a big charger. Has a 35amp "fast charge" and a 200amp "start mode". Imagine if I'd left it on in the latter setting--wowza, that would be a mess! I should've used the 2amp trickle mode. I really need to step up to the models with a built in timer.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here's a possible solution...

Don't believe everything you think
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done the same thing. I fried one overnight at regular charge in my MG (actually two, it takes two 6v in series. What a friggin' mess.)

You're doing the right things now...baking soda everywhere, scrub it in good. I'd take the battery out as soon as things calm down, clean everything up good and dry and put a new one in. Wear latex gloves (I get them by the box at Rite Aid.) Don't forget to find your radio code.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
I've done the same thing. I fried one overnight at regular charge in my MG (actually two, it takes two 6v in series. What a friggin' mess.)

You're doing the right things now...baking soda everywhere, scrub it in good. I'd take the battery out as soon as things calm down, clean everything up good and dry and put a new one in. Wear latex gloves (I get them by the box at Rite Aid.) Don't forget to find your radio code.

Anything else you want to share with us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in