Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Yikes, I did a really bone-headed thing last night. The battery died on my Audi, so I put it on the charger at the 35 amp setting, then promptly forgot the whole thing and let it sit overnight. I just went out there and smelled sulfur pretty strongly. The battery sits under the rear seat and there was steam and hissing coming out from under there. I'm a bit freaked out, 'cause there's moisture all over the under seat area, which also houses most of the car's ECUs and such. I think I should try to discharge the battery before I disconnect the cables, but I'm afraid to turn the ignition on with all that moisture and overvoltage. It really looks like that thing could blow at any moment. I'm thinking of neutralizing the moisture/acid(?) with baking soda. Any thoughts or experience with this?