Cut oil sales to Israel's backers-Iranian commander - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cut oil sales to Israel's backers-Iranian commander

Cut oil sales to Israel's backers-Iranian commander

TEHRAN, Jan 4 (Reuters) - An Iranian military commander called on Islamic countries to cut oil exports to Israel's supporters in response to the Jewish state's offensive in Gaza, the official IRNA news agency reported on Sunday.

IRNA said commander Bagherzadeh described oil as "one of the powerful elements of pressure" on the Jewish state's Western backers in the "unequal war" faced by Palestinians in the coastal strip.

"Pointing at Westerners' dependence on the Islamic countries' oil and energy resources, he (Bagherzadeh) called for cutting the export of crude oil to the Zionist regime's supporters the world over," IRNA said, referring to Israel.

IRNA gave only the commander's last name but it may have been referring to Mirfeysal Bagherzadeh, a brigadier-general of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards. There was no immediate comment from other Iranian officials.

Iran, which often rails against the United States and Israel, is the world's fourth-largest oil producer and a leading member of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). Top exporter Saudi Arabia is a U.S. ally.

Israeli soldiers and Palestinian militants battled in Gaza on Sunday after Israeli troops and tanks invaded the coastal enclave in the most serious fighting in the conflict in decades.

Israel's attacks on Gaza have sparked repeated protests in Iran, an Islamic state which does not recognise Israel.

In 1973, Arab countries directed an oil embargo at Israel's supporters in the Arab-Israeli war, causing the first oil shock. Primarily the United States but also Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal and South Africa were affected. The price of oil quadrupled to almost $12 a barrel and inflation infected the economies of other industrialised countries.

Crude is now trading at about $46 after plunging by some $100 since July on the global financial crisis and a weakening world economy.

IRNA, which did not provide direct supporting quotes, said Bagherzadeh was speaking about the measures Islamic countries could take in response to Israel's attacks on Gaza.

"Among the tactics the world of Islam can use to help the innocent Palestinian people, Bagherzadeh called oil one of the powerful elements of pressure on the Zionists' European and American supporters in the unequal war," IRNA said.

Bagherzadeh is the director of Iran's Foundation for the Preservation of Works and Publications of Sacred Defence Values, IRNA said.

Iran is embroiled in a row with the West over its nuclear programme and has in the past threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic transport route for global oil supplies, if it is attacked by the United States or Israel.

News | Africa - Reuters.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That will justify an invasion of Iran. How dare they use our oil as a bargaining chip?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's not Iran's fight any more than it's ours. So now our unnecessary entanglement in the region will cause us to pay higher oil prices?

Ron Paul keeps sounding smarter and smarter.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1990 500 SEL, 2003 Range Rover HSE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iran playing the "Iran is Palestine's best friend" silly game again . If Iran's oil was exported to "Israel's backers", he would've shut up and never uttered a single word.

Iran can stop the Israeli incursion of Gaza in a minute if they tell Hezbulla to fire a couple of mortars, even if into empty desert (for those who fear a few Israelis may have a nervous break down in their bunkers). Israel can't fight a war on two fronts now. What did some Iranian official do yesterday in Damascus? He clearly told Hamas political leadership that Iran and Hezbulla will not fire a bullet. Hassen Nassralla of Hezbulla urged Egyptians to overthrow the Egyptian regime. Everyone is suggesting something for others but not for themselves.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
^ Here's how to put this to an end, right now - Hamas disbands it's military and announces an immediate cease fire. It fires it's military commanders. It pleads to the international community to mediate peace talks, and states up front that it's sole desire is ______________. It announces it will do whatever is necessary to demonstrate to the world it's desire to act peacefully, in exchange for demand ________________ being met. I'm not certain what exactly they're so pissed about, but there has to be something they want. That's a starting point.

From that position, any aggression by Israel will be viewed as barbaric. And it will stop. If Israel really wanted Gaza that badly, there's nothing Palestine could do to stop them and everyone knows it. If Israel wants prisoners back, give them back. If they want X or Y, give it to them. Nothing but the CORE issue should be on the table now, and any activity involving weapons or violence or what not has got to stop if any progress is to be made. Hamas picked this fight, apparently without considering whether or not it would lose. That was stupid, and it's nobody's fault but theirs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Correct me if I'm wrong: Israeli killings will be considered barbaric if and only if Hamas surrenders/gives Israel what it wants/states what it wants.

You can't be serious. Israel doesn't want Hamas. Period. If there were no Hamas, Israel would still not want some other party. In short, Israel doesn't want any Palestinians. Even if Palestinians were exterminated, Israel would still not want some other people, especially those Arabs that occupy Israel's God given land from the Nile to the Euphrates.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
^ The feelings you attribute to Israelis of their Palestinian neighbors doesn't seem to be unique. Not even their arab "bretheren" seem to want anything to do with them, and this goes back 60 years.

Maybe they're both bitter than nobody else in the world can seem to stand them for very long, I dunno. It just seems like an ocean's worth of mis-placed hatred and immaturity.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ The feelings you attribute to Israelis of their Palestinian neighbors doesn't seem to be unique. Not even their arab "bretheren" seem to want anything to do with them, and this goes back 60 years.

Maybe they're both bitter than nobody else in the world can seem to stand them for very long, I dunno. It just seems like an ocean's worth of mis-placed hatred and immaturity.

Sorry I didn't get you. Are you saying Israelis are hated wherever they go?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
^ It's an observation. They've had trouble finding a place to live where people didn't want to round them up and kill all of them. I honestly wish I understood why that seems to be the case, because I just don't get it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ It's an observation. They've had trouble finding a place to live where people didn't want to round them up and kill all of them. I honestly wish I understood why that seems to be the case, because I just don't get it.
My theory is that most people are lazy but expect good things to just happen to them but when it doesn't happen they will take it on the ones that actually did something to make it happen for them. Jews in general have a STRONG cultural mechanism that encourages excellence so that in itself plays a role in their success wherever they go but unfortunately they seem to always encounter the locals that are bitter at such success.
The BIG mistake Jews have made over and over is that they most of the time kept wealth and knowledge within their families and sometimes felt a religious duty not to mingle with non-Jews. The latter always felt used and ended up building a grudge against the Jews. That comes very easily since like I stated earlier, people are lazy on many levels and thinking is one of them; so they tend to generalize and blanket their hatred on a whole race.
Again, I am not an expert in sociology but that's what I deduct from observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in