For Tracee - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
For Tracee

On an April morning back in 2000, my wife's sister was on the phone, chatting with a friend. The conversation was suddenly very silent on one end of the phone and the friend could hear my sister-in-law's two toddler sons trying to "Wake up, Mommy." The older of the two boys, Ben, picked up the phone and the friend quickly realized the emergency nature of the situation. She kept Ben on the land line while she called for help on her cell. The paramedics arrived within 5 minutes and were able to revive Tracee and quickly transported her to the hospital.

Despite everyone's best attempts, the brief interval of oxygen deprivation had damaged too much of Tracee's brain. She was left in a vegetative state and given no hope for recovery. No one was ever able to determine the cause. A family decision was reached and the life support was removed. Tracee began to breathe on her own and so she was brought home under the 24 hour care of a hired assistant. She was placed on a "Do Not Resuscitate" order but just a year, later, while her mother was visiting, she suffered another attack. Despite the DNR order, the two women did what came naturally and administered CPR, bringing Tracee back again.

Tracee has been to every family event that it was possible to which she could be transported. A special wheelchair, a van equipped with a sling lift and other ingenious devices allowed her to be in the pictures.

She lost weight. Her feet dropped. She gnawed holes in her lower lip. But she also had reactions to stimuli such as light, sound and temperature change. There were times when you would swear that she was responding to the sound of your voice and so she was loved. Her two sons grew to be teenagers with faint memories of the vital woman that their mother had been. Her daughter from her first marriage became a dentist with kids of her own but she always maintained a hand in the management of her mother's health.

Nearly a decade later, right around 11 P.M. EST on Christmas Eve, as I was reading and responding to threads in BWOT, I received a call from Chrystal who tearfully informed me that her mother had passed. I awoke my wife with the news and we went downstairs to tell her mother that her middle daughter, one of six children had just died.

We made the drive over to Tracee's house. The emergency crews had departed with a single police officer awaiting the arrival of the mortician.

Death had been kind to Tracee in a perverse sort of way. Her skin had smoothed to that of a newborn child and the blotchy redness that accompanied her struggle for life had lightened into the alabaster sheen of a precious china figurine. The two men gently gathered Tracee onto a stretcher and took her from her home and family for the last time.

I don't know what today will bring but for the first time since their deaths, I was not at the cemetery on Christmas morning to witness the sunrise beside the graves of my 2 year old grandson and my father. Somehow, I don't think they will mind this year.

More, later.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Moderately subtle
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman

So sorry for the loss of your loved one. My wish for you and your family is comfort in knowing she is in a better place.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hang in there bro
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by Brentwood MB View Post
Wow, Dig, you are if not already, one hell of a writer. The very best to you and your family this holiday season. Seriously, you need to write more, you have the gift.
Very smart too! I had the pleasure of meeting him and I hope to see him more often
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you, buddy. Glad you shared this, hope you're encouraged to tell us more when the time is right.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
She will always live on in your memories as she will always be smiling down on you guys and her children from heaven.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Dig, Best of wishes for those who hnew and loved Tracee.....
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Not the xmas you were expecting, Dig, but one that will undoubtedly prove more memorable than most. Condolences to you and yours, enjoy the holidays as you can.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wishing you and the family patience, courage and goodwill to see you through this difficult time.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The very first post ever, on BWOT, that moved me to emotion and tears. I wish you and your family comfort on this Christmas Day.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: