What a friggin mess!
I am right now taking a break from this job. I went ahead and supposedly drained the system from water but I forgot about the expansion tank
When I finished cutting the last bolt on the flange I got drenched and basically turned the basement into a pool. Anyway, I just finished cleaning up and my next job is to drill out the bolts from the flanges. They did not want to come out or cooperate; one had its head fused to the flange as if the metals combined and no amount of chiseling is delineating where one end and the other starts. To top it all, I am working in a very confined space with asbestos wrapped pipes hanging all around me. Right now my wife is applying duct tape
so when I come back the exposure will be minimal.
This is as bad as replacing the engine mounts on my W126 yesterday. One allen bolt was stripped while the other was not accessible as it hid behind the cross member. I got them bad boys out but I swear I will not do this again unless I have a lift.
Anyway, going back to the subject, the flanges seem salvageable if I don't destroy them in the process. Will see!