Chrysler says to shut down all production for month - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
I like the little note that Uaw workers get paid even when the plant is shut down. No wonder they don't give a shit if the place is going to close. Fucking scum bags.
Is it the hourly workers fault that there is an inventory control issue?

THAT is the reason that particular bit has been in contracts for years.

Now, as an example, all of your workers show up for work Monday morning. But you fail to bring materials for them to do their job. That means you have to send them home until you get the materials together and on site. Do you pay them during that time period?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
1. A decision by German automaker Daimler AG to suspend vehicle production at 14 automotive plants due to poor economic conditions will not affect the Mercedes-Benz plant in Vance.

Daimler AG officials said the shutdown, which will last from Dec. 12 to Jan. 12, will be confined to plants within Germany and will have no bearing on the company's North American operations.

2. Porsche has stopped production for one month

3. Fiat to shut most Italy plants for a month
The Associated Press
Published: December 16, 2008

ROME: Fiat Group said Tuesday that it would for the first time shut down most of its Italian plants for a month, laying off nearly 50,000 workers for an extended holiday as it copes with the precipitous drop in demand for new autos.

The shutdowns through mid January affect 14 of Fiat's 20 Italian plants, and 48,000 blue collar workers out of its nearly 80,000-strong Italian work force.

4. Renault has halted production at the Le Mans plant for several weeks.

More automakers are likely to follow.
But...But...But...I thought it was all the UAW's fault? I didn't know the UAW was in Germany, France, Italy.

And what are these confusing "demand" and "inventory" terms. They have NOTHING to do with legacy pensions. How can they have impact on the auto industry. I think they are hiding something.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Hah, they will be so anxious to get rid of those things, they will have used car crushers installed at each dealership (the ones left standing)........
I had a conversation on this very subject at lunch today. I would not be surprised if someone thought of a "buyback" for older vehicles that took all the cheap "buy here-pay here" type cars, offered either a tax credit or a tradein credit and crushed hundreds of thousands of them to pull them off the market and start moving the 3-8 year old lease returns through the system and opening up the market again.

That would help the dealer networks, instantly raise the general CAFE averages and take a bunch of "less safe" cars off the road. While I don't endorse the concept, I can see it happening.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Let's hope that "sleeping beauty" never wakes up
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I had a conversation on this very subject at lunch today. I would not be surprised if someone thought of a "buyback" for older vehicles that took all the cheap "buy here-pay here" type cars, offered either a tax credit or a tradein credit and crushed hundreds of thousands of them to pull them off the market and start moving the 3-8 year old lease returns through the system and opening up the market again.

That would help the dealer networks, instantly raise the general CAFE averages and take a bunch of "less safe" cars off the road. While I don't endorse the concept, I can see it happening.
It is a wonder of theses modern times that you manage to ingest enough food to sustain yourself what with all of your lunchtime conversations! Who does all of the talking?

If they do decide to hunt the dinosaurs down, I suggest they use Google 'street view' to see who's got what cars parked outside. Technical time saver, yanno?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 AM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^I say anyone who leaves their car outside should have it taken away. There is just no excuse, if people hate their car that much then give them the bus pass.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
I'm telling you, at the end of 2009 it will be: Buy 1 get 1 free Car Sale...........
Its happening NOW!
Deals: Buy One Dodge Ram, Get One Free

University Dodge Buy One Get One Free Davie FL INC Deal Offer | TechBanyan
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
^I say anyone who leaves their car outside should have it taken away. There is just no excuse, if people hate their car that much then give them the bus pass.
ignorant
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
It is a wonder of theses modern times that you manage to ingest enough food to sustain yourself what with all of your lunchtime conversations! Who does all of the talking?
It depends on the conversation. Since there are usually six or eight at the table, and we talk/eat for an 90 minutes, we cover much ground.

It is quite often like BWOT in that there are several conversations going on at the same time and sometimes food gets thrown.

And at least one guy has to get driven home about once every two weeks [the local DA most likely would not like him coming back to work in his enhanced state]

McBear,
Kentucky

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
ELITIST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in