So true. They want to use every means in the book to over complicate things and then pull out what doesn't present as "Apples to Apples" and say it is inconsequential.
That to me says they do not understand the basics of capitalism.
Lesson one yoohoos, you sell a product for more than what it costs. That equals profit.
When you say that the cost of the product does not include money that you have to pay to make it (i.e. retirement contributions, job banks, etc.) the money is still coming from somewhere!
All of these supposedly educated people on this forum should understand that. Apparently they do not.
Job Banks may have been a good idea at some time in the past but I do not see Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagon, Mercedes, etc. having these issues. They are able to idle the plant for a week or two and that seems to stanch the flow of blood for them.
Oh and by the way, wasn't it Marsden who said that Auto manufacturing shouldn't be going on in a 1st world country?
We understand Capitalism completely. Some of us have even dealt with it first hand for decades.
Now that you have union bashing out of your system which accounts for just under 10% of the cost of a car including actual labor, legacy costs, health benefits and pension benefits that leaves the other 90%. Let's repeat so you can focus on the BIG BOGEY. N I N E T Y - P E R C E N T
. That is where you need to be focusing your attention on any systems analysis as to what is going on with the system. Not the 25% of the 10% that is the legacy costs of the Union contract.
To answer your question on job banks and Toyota/Honda etc, they utilize temporary agencies for up to two years of employment for many folks which means that those employees get ZERO benefits. So they simply get told not to come to work. When they need new workers they have to train them [something that is not always brought up in the Toyota manufacturing is God speeches]
I notice you fail to mention the articles that negate the $29 cost gap by the Toyota General Manager. Kinda blows a hole in your theory.
Now, speaking of money coming from somewhere. I know that you don't like government intervention for the Big 3 or providing them with bridge loans or "Socialism" as you call it. What do you call the Billions of dollars in tax incentives that states have given to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mercedes and BMW to build plants in their little Red States?