post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama calls on Blago to resign

Nice to see a president who simply sees the right thing to do, unlike the soon to unemployed Mr. Bush, who protected his cronies with pardons and refusals to testify:

Obama: Gov. Blagojevich should resign
President-elect believes governor can't serve effectively, spokesman says

Mark Carlson / AP
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, center, leaves his home through a back alley Wednesday on his way to the governor's office.
View related photos
updated 16 minutes ago

CHICAGO - President-elect Barack Obama is calling for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said Wednesday.

Gibbs said Obama agrees with other prominent politicians that "under the current circumstances, it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois."

Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday, accused of scheming to enrich himself by selling Obama's vacant Senate seat. The governor has authority to appoint the replacement. Blagojevich denies any wrongdoing.

In response to questions from The Associated Press, Gibbs said Obama believes the Illinois legislature should consider a special election to fill the seat. Gibbs said the hope is to put a process in place to select a new senator who will have the trust and confidence of the people of Illinois.

Blagojevich returned to work on Wednesday, having posted bond Tuesday. The governor left his home on Chicago's North Side and waved to the media before quickly getting into a dark SUV without talking to the reporters.

A short time later, Blagojevich's SUV arrived at his office.

"He is still the sitting governor of Illinois today, now, and that is not something we have any say in or control of," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in unveiling corruption charges on Tuesday against the 52-year-old governor.

The governor's attorney, Sheldon Sorosky, said Tuesday he didn't know of any immediate plans for the governor to resign. Blagojevich believes he didn't do anything wrong and asks Illinois residents to have faith in him, Sorosky said.

"I suppose we will have to go to trial," he said.

Who'll fill Obama's seat?
Blagojevich could conceivably still appoint someone to fill Obama's seat despite the charges that he tried to barter it away for cash or a plum job in what Fitzgerald called "a political corruption crime spree."

But pressure is growing for state lawmakers to call a special election.

"No appointment by this governor, under these circumstances, could produce a credible replacement," U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin said Tuesday after the governor, a second-term Democrat, was arrested on charges of conspiring to commit fraud and soliciting bribery.

Obama was not accused of any wrongdoing.

"I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so we were not — I was not aware of what was happening," Obama said Tuesday. "And as I said, it's a sad day for Illinois. Beyond that, I don't think it's appropriate to comment."

Prosecutors stepped in and had the governor arrested because he was on "what can only be called a political corruption crime spree," Fitzgerald said.

Speaker Michael Madigan, D-Chicago, said he is prepared to call the Illinois House into session as early as Monday to set a special election to fill the seat. Illinois Senate President Emil Jones said he had something similar in mind.

In Washington, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., made it plain he didn't want to seat anyone under such a cloud, saying the charges "are appalling and represent as serious a breach of the public trust as I have ever heard."

Chief of staff also charged
Charged along with Blagojevich was his 46-year-old chief of staff, John Harris, who was accused of taking part in the schemes to enrich the governor.

The FBI said in court papers that Blagojevich was overheard conspiring to sell the Senate seat for campaign cash or lucrative jobs for himself or his wife, a real estate agent. He spoke of using the Senate appointment to land a job with a nonprofit foundation or a union-affiliated group, and even held out hope of getting named Obama's secretary of health and human services or an ambassador.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not like it makes a difference, the fucking guy is going to prison anyway. What is Obama trying to hide? The % he was going to get?

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Pres elect BO isn't even in office yet and already he lies to the public about haven
spoken to the Gov about the seat selection.
What next?

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah, I suspect we'll be bombing Tehran on January 21st, in a desperate bid to distract the public from this outrageous scandal.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Probably what Fitzgerald thought, so he ended the investigation early.
Can't leave the net out to long, might catch something your not fishing for!

reserved.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Just how many people can BO fit under a bus?

reserved.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's amazing to me that BO could be nurtured in the Chicago political quagmire and come out if it and say, "Rezco, don't know him that well. Ayers? Uhmmm, I think I met him once. Blago? Never talked to him about my seat. Rev Wright? Never heard him say those things on his 'Best of Reverend Wright CD.'" WTF. Just come clean.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Pres elect BO isn't even in office yet and already he lies to the public about haven
spoken to the Gov about the seat selection.
What next?
Your the one who says he is lying, so it must be true. But one thing bothers me - if Blago's phone has been tapped for the last three months, how come there is no record of this supposed conversation that you claim to have such great knowledge about?

Once again, you show how pathetic the right wing has become. You assert something to be true, with absolutely no evidence. No wonder the public drove you guys from every branch of government.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-11-2008 at 07:03 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
It's amazing to me that BO could be nurtured in the Chicago political quagmire and come out if it and say, "Rezco, don't know him that well. Ayers? Uhmmm, I think I met him once. Blago? Never talked to him about my seat. Rev Wright? Never heard him say those things on his 'Best of Reverend Wright CD.'" WTF. Just come clean.
Perhaps you can weave a nice conspiracy theory out of it. Let's see - Reverend Wright and Ayers conspired with Obama to bomb the Pentagon, or perhaps, Reverend Wright conspired with Obama to turn Ayers into a Muslim. Or maybe you fucking right wingers can just tell us all what the fuck it is you are trying to say? Did Ayers advise Obama in any way? Is Rev Wright going to play some role in an Obama administration? Has Obama announced that the Weather Undreground is his real political party? Did Obama stand up on the stage with Wright and denounce the country? Is Rezko going tobe our new Secretary of State? In the end, this is just right wing politics as usual - no substance, just innuendo in the hopes of a come-stained dress. Tell you what, if something really happens, get back to us.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-11-2008 at 07:04 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Perhaps you can weave a nice conspiracy theory out of it. Let's see - Reverend Wright and Ayers conspired with Obama to bomb the Pentagon, or perhaps, Reverend Wright conspired with Obama to turn Ayers into a Muslim. Or maybe you fucking right wingers can just tell us all what the fuck it is you are trying to say? Did Ayers advise Obama in any way? Is Rev Wright going to play some role in an Obama administration? Has Obama announced that the Weather Undreground is his real political party? Did Obama stand up on the stage with Wright and denounce the country? Is Rezko going tobe our new Secretary of State? In the end, this is just right wing politics as usual - no substance, just innuendo in the hopes of a come-stained dress. Tell you what, if something really happens, get back to us.
You're right, how dare we question any democrat. I'm not a right winger, just making an observation. You've clearly lost your objectivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in