Which MB Model Would You Convert to do This? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
That certainly helps. There is just so much you can do with rearwheel drive after the AWD cars came along. But then again, I can't imagine the desire to do airport drifting much. It would require a tire sponsor as he had to have burned $3K of tires doing that shoot.

I am still thinking about the supra motor in the 500E. It will provide much better economy daily driving and can still be programatically mapped to tune up to stupid power when desired by Palm Pilot on the dash.
I remember seeing that someone has already done that....could have been Japan, I dont recall, but that would be the ride!! Especially if you put a stick behind it. I always thought it would be great to do a SBF or SBC with a 6 speed behind it. You can make stupid power with either of those two for not alot of $$ and of course it would be EFI.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1969-280s, 2000 SL500, 1981 300D, 1980 450SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like videos of this sort... usually~~~~ but, but..
but, this guy certainly knows how to drive this car.
it must have a bullet proof engine and drivetrain.
It looks as though he doesn't use all wheel drive through most of it.
or am I mistaken?
I can drive, but no way could I even come close to doing this!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94 View Post
I remember seeing that someone has already done that....could have been Japan, I dont recall, but that would be the ride!! Especially if you put a stick behind it. I always thought it would be great to do a SBF or SBC with a 6 speed behind it. You can make stupid power with either of those two for not alot of $$ and of course it would be EFI.
There is a righthand drive 400E in japan that did a similar conversion. They are running two VERY large turbos. I have talked to the owner and have the mapping and wiring conversions that he used but I will be using a US based motor/tranny so I can keep everything EPA legal in case Kentucky decides to start testing.

I would use a six speed manual for the conversion. We tried to convert one of the 500Es to the Getrag 5speeds from an M5 but getting the custom bell housing correct was a real bitch. So after about a year I put that aside.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
That certainly helps. There is just so much you can do with rearwheel drive after the AWD cars came along. But then again, I can't imagine the desire to do airport drifting much. It would require a tire sponsor as he had to have burned $3K of tires doing that shoot.

I am still thinking about the supra motor in the 500E. It will provide much better economy daily driving and can still be programatically mapped to tune up to stupid power when desired by Palm Pilot on the dash.
I'm sure you've seen Pumpish's work with stock longblock M103s, which I believe are kicking out 500+whp, with a massive turbo and stand alone engine management. That combination in a W201 w/5sp and LSD would be a killer setup for autocross or gymkhana
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I'm sure you've seen Pumpish's work with stock longblock M103s, which I believe are kicking out 500+whp, with a massive turbo and stand alone engine management. That combination in a W201 w/5sp and LSD would be a killer setup for autocross or gymkhana
Except he keeps frying the motor from what I read. But he does awesome turbo work. Just needs a stronger platform and doesn't understand that he has to lower the compression to make it SAFELY work.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Except he keeps frying the motor from what I read. But he does awesome turbo work. Just needs a stronger platform and doesn't understand that he has to lower the compression to make it SAFELY work.
I think the frying started once he bumped it up into the 600whp range. Another option would be to run with an OM606, which can make 450-500hp with relatively simple tweaks and a stock longblock--gobs of diesel torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in