Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
San Diego Jet Crashes

You need to check in, SlyByDesign. Hope you and yours are ok

Smoke rises from a San Diego, California, neighborhood where a military jet crashed Monday.

(CNN) -- Two people were killed in Monday's crash of a military jet into a neighborhood in San Diego, California, Fire Department officials said.
Smoke rises from a San Diego, California, neighborhood where a military jet crashed Monday.

The pilot safely ejected before the F/A-18 jet crashed into the neighborhood shortly before noon PT, the Marine Corps said in a news release.

Two homes were destroyed, said Maurice Luque of the San Diego Fire Department, according to CNN affiliate KGTV.

Details about who was killed weren't immediately available. The pilot -- the two-seat jet's only occupant -- was taken to a hospital, the Marine Corps said. Photo See photos of fiery crash site »

The crash happened as the jet was returning to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar after performing landing training on a Navy aircraft carrier, the Marine Corps said in a news release. The cause of the crash is under investigation, it said. Video Watch aerial footage of crash site »

The crash site is about two miles from the airfield, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said. See map showing crash site, airfield »

Firefighters aimed jets of water from high-pressure hoses at the smoldering rubble of what appeared to be at least one house. Smoke continued to rise in clouds from the site nearly an hour after the crash.

Authorities cordoned off the area. Residents told reporters they had been informed by police that chemicals were in the air and they should stay away. iReport.com: Smoke rises from fiery crash

One resident interviewed by CNN affiliate KFMB said he saw a fighter jet at a very low altitude, and "it just spiraled, right out of 'Top Gun.' "

The movie "Top Gun" was based on the Navy fighter pilot training program at the Miramar facility.

The resident said he saw a flier from the aircraft on the ground after parachuting from the plane. He said the pilot was dazed but able to move on his own.

Bank worker Scott Bloom told KGTV he was on his way to visit clients when he saw someone eject from the plane. He said the plane was silent in the moments before it went down.

"I thought I was dreaming," Bloom told KGTV. "It was so surreal."
advertisement

The principal of a high school about three blocks from the crash site said students had just finished lunch when staffers heard "two large pops or two large booms." The school and its students were not directly affected by the crash, but the school was put into lock-down mode for students' safety, Principal Mike Price said.

The pilot was in communication with military air traffic controllers before the jet crashed, the FAA said.
E-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
You need to check in, SlyByDesign. Hope you and yours are ok
The pilot of the aircraft, which had been taking part in a training exercise and was approaching the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar when it crashed, ejected safely and landed in the grounds of a nearby school.

Quote:
The pilot was in communication with military air traffic controllers before the jet crashed, the FAA said.
Maybe the ATC went something like this..

Pilot to traffic controller: I don't have the balls to avert tragedy by trying at all costs to avoid the aircraft plummeting into a residential area, I'm ejecting!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
The pilot of the aircraft, which had been taking part in a training exercise and was approaching the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar when it crashed, ejected safely and landed in the grounds of a nearby school.

Maybe the ATC went something like this..

Pilot to traffic controller: I don't have the balls to avert tragedy by trying at all costs to avoid the aircraft plummeting into a residential area, I'm ejecting!
My thoughts exactly.

What a pussy - even though I am a civilian and have no military experience, I deserve to deride the pilot for his spineless action.

I still remember a particular air show in which one of the planes from Japanese elite acrobat flying team crashed; the pilot of the plane could have ejected to safety, but held on to the controls until the very end to ensure that the plane crashed into a rice paddy amidst dense residential area.

A true pilot would have prioritized the safety of the civilians and their property he had the duty to protect.

What a pussy.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm wondering if these things automatically eject a pilot when a crash situation is imminent
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I'm wondering if these things automatically eject a pilot when a crash situation is imminent
I should be automatically ejected after 9:30. And seriously I am saddened by the loss of life.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0 View Post

A true pilot would have prioritized the safety of the civilians and their property he had the duty to protect.
Speaking as a humble PPL with a half share in light aircraft, I don't have the luxury of an ejection seat and not even a parachute.
My first concern would be to aim for something green, preferably a field or trees, not roof tiles.

There have been many instances where pilots have sacrificed their lives to avoid ploughing into crowds or built up areas.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
No. They go through too many maneuvers during an engagement that could simulate "crash situation" that would make an auto system awkward. [note, this old info on my part, my brain stops with F4, A4, F15, F16, F111 era fighers/FB].

My guess is he wiggled as far as he could. Witnesses said the plane was quiet when as he ejected which would mean he had minimal if any flight control. Since he was on final glide in, less than two miles from the threshold, he could not have been 500 ft. off the deck if all was well, and it wasn't. Not a good day no matter what the circumstance was.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

What a pussy - even though I am a civilian and have no military experience, I deserve to deride the pilot for his spineless action.

I still remember a particular air show in which one of the planes from Japanese elite acrobat flying team crashed; the pilot of the plane could have ejected to safety, but held on to the controls until the very end to ensure that the plane crashed into a rice paddy amidst dense residential area.

What a pussy.
Also not a pilot but isn't it possible that all control was gone? Are there mechanical redundancies in a fly by wire system? Shouldn't we wait to hear more details before we lynch a person who may have done exactly as he was trained to do?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Also not a pilot but isn't it possible that all control was gone?
Quite possible. Fresh underwear was probably provided upon arrival at the base.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Also not a pilot but isn't it possible that all control was gone? Are there mechanical redundancies in a fly by wire system? Shouldn't we wait to hear more details before we lynch a person who may have done exactly as he was trained to do?
True, pending the outcome of 'full' disclosure of the event, I may revise my initial reaction.

On the other hand, if he had acted as he was trained to do, then I question the training itself - what kind of training that makes armed forces personnell choose to preserve his life at the expence of civilians he had the duty to protect at such a critical juncture as this?

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in