LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toyota Plant Christmas Bonus: Oh what a feeling!

Toyota Production Shutdown
Friday, 05 December 2008 13:19

Workers at the Toyota plant in Georgetown will have a long break for the holidays whether they like it or not.

The company tells WTVQ 36 News it is shutting down production at its plant from December 18th through January 12th.

Toyota says the production stoppage is because of a bad economy, poor sales and reduction in requests for new vehicles.
Toyota usually stops production temporarily during the holidays, but this year's stoppage is nine day longer than normal.

Toyota says employees will still be paid during this extended stoppage

WTVQ 36 News - WTVQ-TV - Lexington, Kentucky - Toyota Production Shutdown

Toyota adding idle time at Georgetown
By Scott Sloan - ssloan@herald-leader.com

Toyota's Georgetown plant, hampered by declining sales of its vehicles, will shut down more often than normal this December and January.

The plant typically closes for the holidays from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1, but this year, it also will stop production on Dec. 18 and 19, as well as Jan. 5-9, 16 and 19, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The factory typically has not shut down for that holiday.

The plant, along with all but one of Toyota's North American plants, announced last month that it would shut down on Dec. 22 and 23. It has also previously said it would shut down on Jan. 2 since it falls on a Friday.

On most days, Toyota's workers will be given the choices of coming to work and doing non-production jobs such as training, or taking paid vacation or unpaid time off.

However, on three of the days in January — Jan. 5, 6 and 19 — Toyota will require employees to use paid vacation. The company has required employees to do that before in years when holiday dates fell in such a way that workers would have come back for just one day in a week.

But this is the most it has asked of employees at any one time.

"We've never had a condition like this with sales being so poor and having to make production adjustments," Toyota spokesman Mike Goss said.

The automaker told workers at all of its North American plants on Friday to expect these shutdown days. The number of days at each plant will differ, though, based on inventories of the vehicles produced at each site, Goss said.

Toyota announced its North American sales for November earlier this week and said the number of vehicles sold dropped by more than one-third.

Sales of the Camry, which is produced at Georgetown, fell 28.8 percent from the same period a year earlier, while the Georgetown-produced Avalon saw sales fall 61.6 percent.

Camry sales, though, are down just 5.6 percent for the year, faring far better than SUVs and pickups.

The Tundra pickup is down 28 percent year-to-date and 56 percent in November

Lexington Business - Kentucky Business | Lexington Herald-Leader

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How dare they require them to take a paid vacation day. Those fucking cocksuckers. We need to get UAW in there to stop this mistreatment.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
How dare they require them to take a paid vacation day. Those fucking cocksuckers. We need to get UAW in there to stop this mistreatment.
Why do you think they give them paid days?

And pay that is equal with UAW rates?

Toyota does everything but blow the employees to insure that the UAW doesn't get a foothold in that factory. I have a friend who I have known since kindergarten who is asst. HR director out there. She and I have dinner pretty often so I keep up.

In effect the UAW did its job without even being in the factory.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

You missed the Joke Bear.

Toyota is living proof that there is no use for the unions. They build more reliable, more valuable, and longer lasting cars then anything the UAW has put there name on. Free enterprise rules. The unions can go fuck themselves, when you have no need to work hard for your job you won't.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
You missed the Joke Bear.

Toyota is living proof that there is no use for the unions. They build more reliable, more valuable, and longer lasting cars then anything the UAW has put there name on. Free enterprise rules. The unions can go fuck themselves, when you have no need to work hard for your job you won't.
I got the joke. I was just following it with some facts I heard today.

But I disagree about the unions. They set the standard of living and wage scales for pretty much everyone, union or not. The bad elements are mostly non existent in current contracts but the unions still get the rap for 30 year old sins.

Folks at Toyota and Honda get the same benefits as UAW guys do simply because of the union. IBM, as another example pays equal or better than other similar companies in order to keep CWA or IBEW out. So the union benefits IBM employees also. Then the entire IT industry base is raised to a middle class wage as both IBEW/CWA jobs are at a scale, IBM is in the same range and others like Microsoft or Bob's IT Department keep up to get talent.

Not all bad.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Toyota does good by its workers because of the unions. Fear has a way of correcting errant behavior. Unions go away, and Toyota's benevolence disappears as well. Unions then come back bigger than ever.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I got the joke. I was just following it with some facts I heard today.

But I disagree about the unions. They set the standard of living and wage scales for pretty much everyone, union or not. The bad elements are mostly non existent in current contracts but the unions still get the rap for 30 year old sins.

Folks at Toyota and Honda get the same benefits as UAW guys do simply because of the union. IBM, as another example pays equal or better than other similar companies in order to keep CWA or IBEW out. So the union benefits IBM employees also. Then the entire IT industry base is raised to a middle class wage as both IBEW/CWA jobs are at a scale, IBM is in the same range and others like Microsoft or Bob's IT Department keep up to get talent.

Not all bad.

But aren't more and more of these type jobs being outsourced, no need to look any further than members of the BWOT for the proof. Isn't the outsourcing expanding instead of leveling off and what I suspect after this next round of layoffs for the current crisis, when the work does come back, the new hiring will not be done here but offshore.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Toyota does good by its workers because of the unions. Fear has a way of correcting errant behavior. Unions go away, and Toyota's benevolence disappears as well. Unions then come back bigger than ever.

It has not had much effect here...........
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

So... If I pay my guys well and give them the shirt off of my back your telling me that I am doing it because of the union??? Not because I value my good employees and want to keep them. ?The unions have not been contributing anything positive to society other then greed and extortion for the last 20 years.
I have worked on several split jobs over the years. The non- union guys show up and work and get the job done. The union wants a special entrance just for union employees, and even though they got 1/2 the job the have a picket crew outside the entrance harassing everyone coming through the gate. they are a bunch of fucking cry babies that want every job handed to them because they hold a useless card that says I pay money to a organization that will harass, extort and bully you so I don't have to work for a living. What a joke.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
But aren't more and more of these type jobs being outsourced, no need to look any further than members of the BWOT for the proof. Isn't the outsourcing expanding instead of leveling off and what I suspect after this next round of layoffs for the current crisis, when the work does come back, the new hiring will not be done here but offshore.
YES, more and more are being outsources, on all levels. Right now, if I don't actually fly to NYC and yell across the conference table at directors I would end up with 75-90% Indian or Chinese programmers. And by yell, that sometimes means yell. I have to explain that work has to be done repeatedly as quality control is nonexistent and the concept of schedules apparently does not exist on the same plain of reality. I have a stack on my computer that shows the actual cost associated with re-doing offshored work and the impacts to end clients. And I have to repeat that over and over again.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in