It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming
And yes management DID have guns, literally and figuratively, put to their heads!

Pics or GTFO......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs View Post
now, they are just sitting on a time bomb then.
The "time bomb" already went off. The Beg Three is just trying to make repairs at our (taxpayers) expense. They were doomed several years ago, and are just now trying to use the economic downturn as an excuse to get us to give them the money to continue their failed enterprises. They will be back w/in a year for more tax dollars to resurrect their failed enterprises when they are on the brink again. I say let them go NOW!

Don't believe everything you think
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what about the millions who will go unemployed? are you willing to just give them some cash to hang out for a while?

would that be the recession you seem not to see just yet?

in political asylum
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
what about the millions who will go unemployed? are you willing to just give them some cash to hang out for a while?

would that be the recession you seem not to see just yet?
The UAW has well over a $$$Billion in their coffers for laid-off workers. When one considers how the UAW has inflated the worker rolls w/ their "dirty dollars," the whole world knows that this is a "crisis" made by the unions and a "crisis" to be fixed by the unions. I say let them pay for the mess they have created!

Don't believe everything you think
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Toyota Production Shutdown
Friday, 05 December 2008 13:19

Workers at the Toyota plant in Georgetown will have a long break for the holidays whether they like it or not.

The company tells WTVQ 36 News it is shutting down production at its plant from December 18th through January 12th.

Toyota says the production stoppage is because of a bad economy, poor sales and reduction in requests for new vehicles.
Toyota usually stops production temporarily during the holidays, but this year's stoppage is nine day longer than normal.

Toyota says employees will still be paid during this extended stoppage

WTVQ 36 News - WTVQ-TV - Lexington, Kentucky - Toyota Production Shutdown

Toyota adding idle time at Georgetown
By Scott Sloan - ssloan@herald-leader.com

Toyota's Georgetown plant, hampered by declining sales of its vehicles, will shut down more often than normal this December and January.

The plant typically closes for the holidays from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1, but this year, it also will stop production on Dec. 18 and 19, as well as Jan. 5-9, 16 and 19, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The factory typically has not shut down for that holiday.

The plant, along with all but one of Toyota's North American plants, announced last month that it would shut down on Dec. 22 and 23. It has also previously said it would shut down on Jan. 2 since it falls on a Friday.

On most days, Toyota's workers will be given the choices of coming to work and doing non-production jobs such as training, or taking paid vacation or unpaid time off.

However, on three of the days in January — Jan. 5, 6 and 19 — Toyota will require employees to use paid vacation. The company has required employees to do that before in years when holiday dates fell in such a way that workers would have come back for just one day in a week.

But this is the most it has asked of employees at any one time.

"We've never had a condition like this with sales being so poor and having to make production adjustments," Toyota spokesman Mike Goss said.

The automaker told workers at all of its North American plants on Friday to expect these shutdown days. The number of days at each plant will differ, though, based on inventories of the vehicles produced at each site, Goss said.

Toyota announced its North American sales for November earlier this week and said the number of vehicles sold dropped by more than one-third.

Sales of the Camry, which is produced at Georgetown, fell 28.8 percent from the same period a year earlier, while the Georgetown-produced Avalon saw sales fall 61.6 percent.

Camry sales, though, are down just 5.6 percent for the year, faring far better than SUVs and pickups.

The Tundra pickup is down 28 percent year-to-date and 56 percent in November

Lexington Business - Kentucky Business | Lexington Herald-Leader
What I have been saying is don't bail out the big 3 with a loan. Bail out the nation put the money in sales.

If the government gave 35% of the price of a vehicle to the dealer the consumer would pay 65%. do this for 45 day's and watch the car sale's jump thru the roof.

One catch it must be a US built vehicle. Meaning some of the big 3 vehicles would not apply. But some import's will. This would spur our economy moor then any loan to the big 3.

No matter how much money they have if they don't sale cars they can't survive.

If you thank you can or you thank you can't your right
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
I am so tired of the Wall Street / Detroit blatant hypocrisy. Our values are fucked. No wonder we can't produce anything viable anymore.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Any organization that regulates the amount of work one person can do in a day is not looking out for anyone but themselves. As a union trades person the amount of work you are expected to do is the amount you do. no more. If the union states you run two hundred feet of pipe in 8 hours that is all you can do. If it is a easy run and you can run 100 feet per hour you make that work last all day other wise you will" work yourself right out of a job". One of my co-workers went to the union after his apprenticeship. He was a 1st year journeyman working with guys that had more experience then him but he was twice as fast and did better work. He was warned on the job by some of his coworkers that he did not have to impress anyone. He did not think anything of it and kept working at his normal pace, not rushing, just working at a steady pace and getting the job done. the following Fri. the job foreman sent him to the hall. When asked why he was no longer on the job ( 2 floors done out of 15) he was told " We don't want your kind on this job". What ever is considered good for the company is bad for the employees in the union. That same shop refused portable sawzalls from the employer free of charge saying they cut pipe smaller then 1" with a hack saw and if the owner wanted them to use the cordless sawzalls on all size pipe he would have to give them a pay increase to compensate for the time lost on the job.
He sat at the hall for 6 months before calling it quits. He is now a respected foreman at one of the larger non- union shops in Milwaukee.
How can anyone say that a organization that will picket and terrorize your customers is good for anything. It reminds me of when I was a little kid and the crybaby in the neighborhood did not get his way, I am taking my ball and going home.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SL 500
i think it just plain wrong to blame unions for this problem. even though there is corruption in some cases there is just a much corruption in private corporations and they just call it business!

i think wealthy corporations use their money and lobbying strength to brainwash many Americans into believing all unions are bad so the wealthy can finally get more control that they want in this country and dissolved the middle class.

most people, like myself, who work for private corps know that know matter how hard you work, how efficient you are, and how profitable you and our team maybe, many of these company's will treat you like shit!
they behave like they are doing you a favor and continue to cut back on pay, bonuses, overtime, health care and vacation even though your excelling. all the while they are increasing their benefits.

i also think like 1 senator said there is a double standard for white and blue collar workers. there were no requirements for the banks and their wealthy employees (1 bank had an average $324k employee income) to reduce their pay or bonuses in order to recieve bailout cash. but now some want to point to the salaries of union workers who probably make less than 70k a year.

i believe unions level the playing field for the average worker.

05' SL500 - 06'RR SPORT
"Stop acting like you hit a triple, When you were Born on third base"
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Unions have out lived its usefulness I am a business owner i don't need a union to keep me inline I just need good employs and that is hard to find.

If you thank you can or you thank you can't your right
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBear
Folks at Toyota and Honda get the same benefits as UAW guys do simply because of the union.
Quote:
so $14/h = $24/h, does it? interesting... hmmm
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but they aren't correct.

Here is one source:
[/quote]From Detroit Free Press

The UAW is losing its edge in pay compared with non-unionized U.S. assembly plant workers for foreign companies, even as Detroit automakers aim for deeper benefit cuts to trim their losses.

In at least one case last year, workers for a foreign automaker for the first time averaged more in base pay and bonuses than UAW members working for domestic automakers, according to an economist for the Center for Automotive Research and figures supplied to the Free Press by auto companies.

In that instance, Toyota Motor Corp. gave workers at its largest U.S. plant bonuses of $6,000 to $8,000, boosting the average pay at the Georgetown, KY, plant to the equivalent of $30 an hour. That compares with a $27 hourly average for UAW workers, most of whom did not receive profit-sharing checks last year. Toyota would not provide a U.S. average, but said its 7,000-worker Georgetown plant is representative of its U.S. operations.

Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. are not far behind Toyota and UAW pay levels. Comparable wages have long been one way foreign companies fight off UAW organizing efforts.

But Toyota workers' pay topping that of UAW members comes as the union faces contract negotiations this year with struggling Detroit companies that will seek billions in concessions, partly because they face higher costs for retiree health care and pensions than their foreign-owned competitors.

UAW Losing Pay Edge: Foreign Automakers' Bonuses Boost Wages in U.S. Plants as Detroit Car Companies Struggle: aftermarket News
[/quote]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in