Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Location: Sussex Wi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, 1st of all do not leave any incandescent light fixture on unattended for long periods of time. It is a fire hazard. The rating on the bulb is similar to the amount of heat it produces when it is burning. Would you turn on a 600 watt space heater and leave for the day?
Next, If all of your under cabinet lights were fed from one transformer it would draw 50 amps we have wired several low voltage track lights that we have had to run #6 wire to to feed them, rated for 60 amps. Everyone else here is correct watts is watts the voltage does not matter. The reason they use different voltages is to make it safer in some applications and cheaper in others. When installing some lighting systems, fixtures less then 48 volts, the wiring system changes, we can use exposed wires and terminals instead of junction boxes and conduit systems. When installing feeder panels and wiring large machines we increase the voltage to bring down the amperage so we can use smaller wire pipe breakers etc... it is a lot more cost effective for the consumer and easier on my back.
Now, to figure how much it would cost you to run it there is a formula for that.
Energy= Power x time
E = (watts/1000)xtime
In this example your wattage is 600/1000 because power is billed in kilowatt hours times the amount of time you will be leaving them on we shall use 8 hours in this example
E=(600/1000) x8 which equals 4.8 kilowatts if your utility charges you .05/ kilowatt it will cost you $0.24 / 8 hours you leave them on.
You can use this formula to calculate any appliance based on usage/ and the power it consumes.
"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."