Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Bush: Iraq intelligence failure 'biggest regret'

50 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US President George W. Bush said in an interview set for broadcast Monday that he came to office "unprepared for war" and that his "biggest regret" was the US intelligence failure on Iraq.

But Bush, speaking to ABC television, refused to say whether he would have ordered the March 2003 invasion if he had known that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction.

"That's an interesting question. That is a do-over that I can't do. It's hard for me to speculate," said the US president, who took office in January 2001 and hands the keys to the White House to Barack Obama on January 20.

"The biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq," Bush said. "I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess."

Bush launched the war in Iraq after a months-long public campaign centered on the charge that Saddam possessed vast stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, but no such arsenal was ever found.

"A lot of people put their reputations on the line and said the weapons of mass destruction is a reason to remove Saddam Hussein. It wasn't just people in my administration; a lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington DC, during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence," Bush told ABC.

Asked what his greatest accomplishment was, the US president replied: "I keep recognizing we're in a war against ideological thugs and keeping America safe."

Asked what he was most unprepared for when he took office in January 2001, Bush replied: "I think I was unprepared for war. In other words, I didn't campaign and say, 'Please vote for me, I'll be able to handle an attack.'"

"In other words, I didn't anticipate war. Presidents -- one of the things about the modern presidency is that the unexpected will happen," he said.

Bush, whose administration recently accepted a formal timeline for withdrawing from Iraq, also stood fast behind his refusal for years to set a pull-out timetable.

"It would have compromised the principle that when you put kids into harm's way, you go in to win," he said.

"It was a tough call," he said, because "a lot of people" were advising him to bring US forces home. "But ultimately, I listened to this voice: I'm not going to let your son die in vain; I believe we can win; I'm going to do what it takes to win in Iraq."

Copyright © 2008 Agence France Presse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Now does he have the balls to admit where he bought that intelligence from?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US President George W. Bush said in an interview set for broadcast Monday that he came to office "unprepared for war" and that his "biggest regret" was the US intelligence failure on Iraq.

"The biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq," Bush said. "I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess."
The revisionism continues.

Hint bushie, much of the intelligence WAS different. You just chose not to listen to the intel that did not adhere to your preconceived notion.

No amount of revisionism can erase all the contra evidence that was presented and ignored. But nice try, now go away.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
What a putz.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
An excreable fucking liar.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Bush's intelligence failure 'Our biggest regret'
There I fixed it.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.

Last edited by slybydesign; 12-01-2008 at 01:14 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Bush is deflecting blame and accepting no responsibility. In other words he is staying the course.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some quotes require framing.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
More the reason why I think he is fucking criminal and deserves every treats that come his way. He is one sorry ass mother fucker for a human being.

It goes the same to all those voted for him. And twice for those voted him the second time.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau View Post
And twice for those voted him the second time.
Understatement of the decade. I can forgive those who voted for him the first time; it's possible they didn't know what we were getting into. But the second time? Even in the face of an unattractive Democratic alternative? No way. By then there was absolutely no mistaking what GWB was all about, and the magnitude of the disaster in the making. Absolutely no mistaking it. And they made it happen.

Those people should have their wealth confiscated and should then be put to hard labor for the rest of their lives to try and help dig us out of this nightmare hole we're now in. Time we did away with the secret ballot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in