Just got to ask...
And with full protection I mean leathers or goretex, boots, gloves, splineprotector and so on.
That depends on a lot of things:
1. Money-how much can the rider afford
1.a. Or how motivated is the rider? Cheap gear, used gear can be found all over.
2. how does the rider ride? A lot of cruiser guys, cops included, do not think they need gear because the do not go fast. But tell that to the Dr. and his wife in AZ (Tucson in think) who died on their bike after a car hit them, their injuries to their bodies were minimal, a few broken bones (shorts and T shirt), but ...no helmet...and they are dead.
3. Age/marital status-in my 20 years of riding I find the older the rider the more gear, the more children...the more gear.
4. what kind of bike, you will find more full gear in the sport bike groups because there are some racers, wanna be racers, Pretty Ricky M/F's (the guys that have the Suzuki bike, suzuki jacket, helmet, gloves, socks, underwear, and if Suzuki made condems...they would buy them..but they cant ride.
5. Where do you ride? There are 3 kinds of riders in Atlanta, the crew that goes to the mountains (a lot of gear), the guys that drag race (all gear) the guys that hang out at bike nights (very little gear)
there are more factors, but for me, full gear. Any scars I have on my body are from crashing and not wearing gear, I have crashed (lowsided) tons of times, slid along the pavement in full leathers.....no scars.