BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
I will rest up. the battle will continue tomorrow.
Good night ol' friend!

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Bush claims civil rights gains; trusts history to judge his record fairly...

Declaring Barack Obama's election a "very hopeful moment for race relations," President Bush asserts his own administration did much to empower minorities, calling the No Child Left Behind education law "a piece of civil rights legislation" and saying his call to overhaul Social Security was aimed at giving blacks a greater stake in the nation's future.

In a wide-ranging Oval Office interview with The Washington Times, the president also laid out the challenges facing Mr. Obama. "The international economic turmoil ... will affect a lot of his early presidency," Mr. Bush said. He also warned of a looming war with drug cartels where "the front line of the fight will be Mexico" and dismissed as "urban myth" a commonly held belief that he squelched dissenting opinion among his advisers.

Mr. Bush, who leaves office in exactly 30 days, said he had worked hard throughout his eight years in office to lift minorities, in part by increasing homeownership and expanding opportunities for small businesses. But he said that the Republican Party will have to find new ways to persuade blacks and Hispanics that it is working in their best interests, citing his landmark bipartisan education bill to hold failing schools accountable as a prime example.

"No Child Left Behind is a piece of civil rights legislation. And it's going to be important for future Republican leaders to remind people that accountability in the public schools is leading toward closing an achievement gap, and that it was a Republican president who worked with both Democrats and Republicans to get it passed," the president said in a 40-minute interview Friday.

Mr. Bush said Mr. Obama's election is a "moment of healing for the country," but added that race relations "is an evolving issue." Still, the election of the first black president clearly moved the president, who leaned forward in his chair by a fireplace in the Oval Office as he recounted what he saw on the day his successor was chosen.

"I was touched when I saw on television people with tears streaming down their face saying, 'I never dreamt I would see this day.' And there was a lot of emotion and a lot of pride in America as an African-American rises to the presidency. And to me this is a very hopeful moment for race relations," he said.

Although Mr. Bush started working on passage of the education bill even before he took office in 2001 - inviting top lawmakers to Austin, Texas, to seek consensus and eventually winning the strong support of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy - Democrats, including the liberal icon from Massachusetts, now deride the bill as fatally flawed and advocate either its repeal or a major overhaul.

The president made the legislation an early centerpiece of his first-term agenda, calling the proclivity of inner-city schools to advance students who cannot read or write at grade level the "soft bigotry of low expectations." Since passage of the law, the gaps in reading and math scores between white and minority 9-year-olds fell to an all-time low, and 44 states improved on standardized test scores.

Mr. Bush said his ownership society was "aimed at a lot of people," especially the black community. And while Democrats opposed the creation of personal savings accounts with investments in the stock market - investments that would have been prone to the very financial meltdown that has occurred on Wall Street - Mr. Bush said overhauling Social Security would have benefited minorities.

"The philosophy behind my personal savings accounts and Social Security was aimed at encouraging and allowing individuals to take some of the money that normally would have gone into a system that is going broke and realize the benefits of compounding rate of interest so that they can see their assets accumulate," he said.

Washington Times - Bush claims civil rights gains

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^

Awwww Jay, thanks for the morning chuckle--you never fail to come through with the funnies
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah, as they were beating the shit out of the guy who threw the shoe, those Iraqis were amazed he wasn't more grateful. And as American Death Squads continued to hunt down and murder Baathists who might threaten oil companies, they were indignent that they weren't more grateful for their new found freedom right before they shot them in the head.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
The title should have read: "BUSH: Creator of countless Ossamas. "
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
George W. Bush hopes history will see him as a president who liberated millions of Iraqis and Afghans, who worked towards peace and who never sold his soul for political ends.
I hope to be 33, 220 with all my hair again but then again, I have that annoying reality gene.

History is going to see Bushie for what he is. Inept and arrogant. He James Buchanan and Hubert Hoover will own the bottom rung of Presidential History for a long time.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jay,
Your support of Bush clearly indicates the type of person that you are. A fucking maggot.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
And his popularity is only a figment of his all doped up head. A liberator? Now that's a joke.

Father offers daughter to shoe-thrower - Yahoo! News

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I hope to be 33, 220 with all my hair again but then again, I have that annoying reality gene.

History is going to see Bushie for what he is. Inept and arrogant. He James Buchanan and Hubert Hoover will own the bottom rung of Presidential History for a long time.
I know a lot about the gene...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in