~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Shane

From Wikipedia

Pronunciation SHAYN

Shane is a masculine given name. It is an Irish version of the name Seán.[1]

Like the name John, Shane has a long history that traces back to Hebrew name יוחנן Yôḥānnān, which means "Yaweh is gracious". Yaweh is the name of the god of the Jewish people. Yôḥānnān was the name of several important Jewish rabbis in the Second Temple Period in Palestine, such as Yochanan ben Zakai and Yochanan ben Nuri.

The name had gained popularity among Jews in Judea and Galilee by the time the area became a province of the Roman Empire in 6 C.E. It was the given name of Yochanan ben Zechariah, a Jewish prophet known in English as John the Baptist. It was also the given name of Yochanan ben Zibhdi, a fisherman from Galilee who became one of the favorite students (called disciples) of Jesus Christ and so is known in English as John the Apostle. Because Yochanan also wrote one of the four accounts of the life of Jesus Christ called gospels, the Gospel of St. John, he is also known as John the Evangelist.

The texts that tell of the lives of both these men named Yochanan were written in Greek, and their name was adapted in Greek as Ἰωάννης, Iōannēs (pronounced YO-han-NAYS). The name Ioannes became extremely popular among the early Christians, and bearers include such noted members of the early church as Ioannes Chrysostomos and the Ioannes who wrote the Book of Revelation.

Because of the great respect Christians had for these men, the name came into use in other parts of the Christianized Roman Empire, even in more remote areas such as Gaul and Britain. The Western areas of the Roman Empire did not, however, speak Greek like the areas in the East. Instead, they spoke Latin. Accordingly, in the Western part of the Roman Empire the name was Latinized as Iohannes (pronounced like the Greek).

The local populations in these areas of the Roman Empire soon changed Roman names to fit their own dialect, which included dropping the suffixes -us and -es from such names. Johannes became the Germanic Johann, for example, and on the outskirts of the Empire in the newly converted Ireland it became the Irish Eoin. In some cases, the pronunciation of the "J" also changed from the original "Y", so that in Iberia the name eventually changed to the Spanish Juan and in Gaul to the French Jean (pronounced JOWN).

In the 11th century the French duke William the Conqueror invaded and conquered England and brought his French knights and their dialect with him. In England, the French name Jean came to be spelled John. The Norman kings of England also conquered Ireland in the 13th century and the 14th century. The Irish nobility was replaced by Norman nobles, some of whom bore the French name Jean or the Anglicized name John. The Irish adapted the name to their own pronunciation and spelling, producing the name Seán. Sean is mostly pronounced SHAWN, but in the northern parts of Ireland it is pronounced SHAYN, thus leading to the modern pronunciation and Anglicized form of the name, Shane.

Because for a long time in Britain and in the United States the Irish comprised part of the working class, a stereotype about drunken, fight-happy Irishmen arose. This led to another use of the name Shane for a young, extremely violent individual in common phrases such as, "I got attacked by some Shane last week."

In the United States, the name Shane also became associated with cowboy-types through the 1949 novel "Shane" by Jack Schaefer and the 1953 movie adaptation, directed by George Stevens from a screenplay by A.B. Guthrie Jr..

Shane is rarely used as a feminine given name. However, the feminine version of the name is not derived from the Northern Irish name Shane, but rather from the Yiddish name Shayna, meaning "beautiful".
post #143 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
^^^Oh brother.
post #144 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Bandit96 - I owned a Pontiac T/A, it was a 1986. but when I tried using that as a screen name it came up that it was in use so I just switched to 96. which is a dislexic 69. Hmm.
post #145 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 71,350slc,2-75 280sl,77 280sl 4 sp manual,79 280sl 4sp manual,80 280slc,82 280sl 84 280sl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit96 View Post
Bandit96 - I owned a Pontiac T/A, it was a 1986. but when I tried using that as a screen name it came up that it was in use so I just switched to 96. which is a dislexic 69. Hmm.
I prefer 68 you o me and I'll owe you one.

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
post #146 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or 71. that's 69 with two fingers up the ass!
post #147 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
OK what have I missed?

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #148 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Or 77....that's 69, but you get 8 more.
post #149 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Reminds me of a very old joke.

Why do women like playing Pac-Man? They can spend a Quarter and get eat three times!
post #150 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Reminds me of a very old joke.

Why do women like playing Pac-Man? They can spend a Quarter and get eat three times!
Ok Yosey, it's time for you to explain your username. If you don't I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in