Unbelievable! Man Finds Out His Rust Bucket is Worth $226,000! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What is this "no content" thing you keep referring to, here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
What is this "no content" thing you keep referring to, here?

It all started for me back in the early nineties. I heard about a cheap 911 called the Club Sport. It had no options, stripped interior, just the basics with the same engine and trans as the regular 911. While my 944 Turbo was being worked on I strolled onto the dealer floor to see a new 911 that should be no more than 5k or 10k than a loaded Corvette, which to my mind was what it was always worth. To my utter disbelief I stood slack jawed at the 20k extra the showroom 911 Club Sport cost over a REGULAR 911 with more equipment, etc. It didn't make economic sense, paying more for less.
Thus it all started... I saw how Porsche and Ferrari have gotten away with shitty quality and poor dealer networks for decades. I saw how a supposed race win translates into prestige and profit margins. I saw how all this shit had nothing to do with reality as we live it. Year after year we see new and vintage race cars, and mega performance cars, escalate wildly in price while Mercedes, Cadillacs, and Lincolns with more content, technology, and over all build quality languish in musty garages waiting for someone to change their mind about what makes a quality vehicle. I guess it is like modern art versus impressionism. Some modern art is worth millions and probably took a few hours to produce. Some impressionistic art is worth thousands and took months to produce. I say reward MORE effort when talent is present. Duh!
Now aging yuppies are just tossing good money at stripped race cars with far less tech and equipment than regular production cars. I don't get it, I don't get paying more for less, I don't get all this racing bru ha ha as I have raced enough to get my fill and see through the ruse. Enough already! Would you pay more for less land? Would you pay more for a home made of sticks instead of bricks when comparably sized and finished? Would you pay more for less education! Fuck that.

Last edited by Shane; 11-16-2008 at 04:33 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well sir, you and I have finally reached an accord. I concur, entirely, except if the chassis is distinctly unique and desirable on its own. Generally, I prefer that all the vehicles I purchase come with all the options available at the time of their build. Other than a couple of items, like heated/ortho/leather seats, my MB meets those criteria, while the VW and Audi are contented to the hilt. Additionally, both the MB and VW are each one-year-only vehicles, which means that they're content heavy--that makes me equally contented.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-16-2008 at 05:47 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are very few of the nouveau riche who are not wildly egotistical. Especially the investment banker / Gordon Gekko disciples. Money itself isn't important; what's important is converting that money into something nobody else has. The harder it is to get it, the more exclusive it is, the more they value it. Unbridled capitalism + unbridled consumerism = unbridled vanity, which is what a purchase like the one described by the OP is all about.

Last edited by Qubes; 11-16-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Geico....Gekko...Gecko?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I guess it is like modern art versus impressionism. Some modern art is worth millions and probably took a few hours to produce. Some impressionistic art is worth thousands and took months to produce. I say reward MORE effort when talent is present. Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
There are very few of the nouveau riche who are not wildly egotistical. Especially the investment banker / Gordon Gecko disciples. Money itself isn't important; what's important is converting that money into something nobody else has. The harder it is to get it, the more exclusive it is, the more they value it. Unbridled capitalism + unbridled consumerism = unbridled vanity, which is what a purchase like the one described by the OP is all about.
does the above have anything to do with yoseysig?

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If Gordon Gekko is behind a painting, I'm pretty sure what he wants to impart is A) not hidden, and B) not wise.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
too much...

Last edited by yoseyman; 07-12-2009 at 06:57 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Do you think there is any such thing as a "Rare Pinto"?
LOL. Yes, if you can find one that did not explode when it was rear ended.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I have a chance to gain access to the the Yugo once owned by Joe the Plumber.
Does it have a toilet in place of the driver's seat?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
There are very few of the nouveau riche who are not wildly egotistical. Especially the investment banker / Gordon Gekko disciples. Money itself isn't important; what's important is converting that money into something nobody else has. The harder it is to get it, the more exclusive it is, the more they value it. Unbridled capitalism + unbridled consumerism = unbridled vanity, which is what a purchase like the one described by the OP is all about.
Feeling cynical tonight just a wee bit, eh? Capitalism's best feature is it motivates people to work and not sit around and think too much. Capitalism's worst feature is people forget to think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in