Global Warming Advocates wonder why people do not believe them? - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Q, what the hell did you bust? or do i need some crack?

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
I don't know about sucking a tailpipe...
post #83 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs View Post
Q, what the hell did you bust? or do i need some crack?
The myth which states CO2 causes temperatures to rise. It's fun seeing people try to explain issues with their graphs, which get exposed by different graphs - especially when they should say the same thing yet don't.

But I'm jus' playin'....
post #84 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Here, let me help.

MAUNA LOA SLOPE OBS, HAWAII - Climate Summary

Attachment 205193

The blue line is the average of all monthly averages for a given year, using the table I linked.

The red line represents a 0.5% increase in the annual average temperature from the year before, which would be consistent with the CO2 measurements you posted.

I still don't have a clue what it is you are trying to say. If the temperature rise is corelated to the graph I posted, how does this challenge what I am saying? The fact temperature has risen would seem to strengthen my argument, which I don't believe you ever got the point of to begin with. I simply posted a graphic showing the process, and a typical measurement which is reflected all over the world in any number of places showing that CO2 in the atmosphere is constantly rising, as a way of stating "this is the process" and "this is the data, so conclude the results on your own", so I am mystified at what it is exactly you are trying to say. How you took that into some sort of specifity on the Mauna Loa island escapes me. But even more, are you denying that CO2 traps heat?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 11-17-2008 at 03:53 PM.
post #85 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
I still don't have a clue what it is you are trying to say. If the temperature rise is corelated to the graph I posted, how does this challenge what I am saying? The fact temperature has risen would seem to strengthen my argument, which I don't believe you ever got the point of to begin with. I simply posted a graphic showing the process, and a typical measurement which is reflected all over the world in any number of places showing that CO2 in the atmosphere is constantly rising, as a way of stating "this is the process" and "this is the data, so conclude the results on your own", so I am mystified at what it is exactly you are trying to say. How you took that into some sort of specifity on the Mauna Loa island escapes me. But even more, are you denying that CO2 traps heat?
The implication behind what you posted was that rises in CO2 are proof that the globe is warming. You cited Mauna Loa observations, which show a very steady upward trend, as your proof. We can only infer the following from this:

1) You're asserting a correlation between temperature and CO2 concentration.
2) The correlation between CO2 and temperature is that CO2 traps heat.
3) The more CO2 there is in the air, the more heat will be trapped.
4) The more heat that gets trapped in the air, the warmer the air will be.

What I offered was an equally lengthy trend using a similar-enough sampling method, that shows no correlation whatever between CO2 concentrations and the temperatures in the exact same place on the planet. We can only infer the following from this:

1) That CO2 concentration may or may not have a measurable impact on air temperature outside of the laboratory.
2) That factors other than CO2 must, necessarily, be responsible for air temperature at any given point on earth.

If we're being silly, we can also infer this:

1) That CO2 only affects air temperature in places OTHER than where it's measured.
2) That "global warming" must only affect places other than those where CO2 concentration has risen but temperatures haven't.

We can also pursue some other questions that may inform our positions. Namely, "has anyone bothered to check whether or not CO2 retains enough heat in quantities less than 1% of the atmosphere to be measurable?"

If so, why the disparity between temperature and CO2 concentration on Mauna Loa? Is it the macadamia nuts?

If not, then why the fuck are we so worked up over CO2 levels?
post #86 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Why do you hate polar bears?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #87 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
They keep drinking my Coca-Cola and eating my salmon.
post #88 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Slack salmon?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #89 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Faith is the answer FTL! Keep the faith! Just close your eyes and refuse to acknowledge that QBN's numbers are correct! Accuse him of treachery and deceit. Call him dastardly names! Your religion is under attack!
It's more like he'll petition the Roman Catholic Church to burn him at the stake until he is a charred mass of crud. Whoops! Can't burn at the stake, anymore! It'd violate emissions standards.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #90 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
The implication behind what you posted was that rises in CO2 are proof that the globe is warming. You cited Mauna Loa observations, which show a very steady upward trend, as your proof. We can only infer the following from this:

1) You're asserting a correlation between temperature and CO2 concentration.
2) The correlation between CO2 and temperature is that CO2 traps heat.
3) The more CO2 there is in the air, the more heat will be trapped.
4) The more heat that gets trapped in the air, the warmer the air will be.

What I offered was an equally lengthy trend using a similar-enough sampling method, that shows no correlation whatever between CO2 concentrations and the temperatures in the exact same place on the planet. We can only infer the following from this:

1) That CO2 concentration may or may not have a measurable impact on air temperature outside of the laboratory.
2) That factors other than CO2 must, necessarily, be responsible for air temperature at any given point on earth.

If we're being silly, we can also infer this:

1) That CO2 only affects air temperature in places OTHER than where it's measured.
2) That "global warming" must only affect places other than those where CO2 concentration has risen but temperatures haven't.

We can also pursue some other questions that may inform our positions. Namely, "has anyone bothered to check whether or not CO2 retains enough heat in quantities less than 1% of the atmosphere to be measurable?"

If so, why the disparity between temperature and CO2 concentration on Mauna Loa? Is it the macadamia nuts?

If not, then why the fuck are we so worked up over CO2 levels?
Wait a minute...what's that noise?...is that FTL?...yep it is...that was the sound of FTL getting Own3d

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in