Global Warming Advocates wonder why people do not believe them? - Page 12 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^
round of applause....

it is interesting that he will not answer my question and reveal that he is employed in the oil industry.

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
There are any number of industries he can be employed in that derive their viability from oil, coal or natural gas, or he can just be a RWNJ GOP shill. Or, he can just be one of the guys those organizations have convinced that by having the government plant, nurture and fertilize a competitor for big oil, the people are being fucked. Why it is ok to have a virtual energy monopoly owned by people in the middle east is beyond me. Just like Joe the Plumber, a guy who is in debt and makes less than half the $250k limit for a tax hike to kick in is some how convinced it is in his best interest to give up a tax cut for himself in favor of tax cuts for wealthier people. Scary. Jim
post #113 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ The more I talk to people post-election, especially in different parts of the country, who were pro-Obama, the more I hear that argument was used. When an "ordinary person" would reveal they supported McCain, they'd get hit back with "Wow, you must be making over $250,000 a year if you're in favor of McCain."

I heard a quote from Bill Ayers this morning on NPR, who said in essence he thinks/hopes this is the last time the Nixon playbook will see the light of day (with regard to Presidential elections).
post #114 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
They're obviously looking at a different data set than I am. It seems odd that average temperatures in Hawaii can increase 4 degrees, but that in Mauna Loa, they've been basically flat.

Maybe, just maybe, they need to stop dumbing down their argument to the lowest common denominator, and actually use terms and analogies that make sense.
The reason they collect samples there is because of the altitude of Mauna Loa and the absence of industrial emissions.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #115 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
I don't know about sucking a tailpipe...

Oh Zedd, you lucky bastard, I have always lusted after a Range Rover, it was the after sales service problems I was scared of, if only I had your knowledge on how to keep one running smooth and quiet and keep her satisfied...........
post #116 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
The reason they collect samples there is because of the altitude of Mauna Loa and the absence of industrial emissions.
And the absence of any impact CO2 has on their average temperature. Clearly a fascinating and unique meteorological anomaly.
post #117 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
^ The more I talk to people post-election, especially in different parts of the country, who were pro-Obama, the more I hear that argument was used. When an "ordinary person" would reveal they supported McCain, they'd get hit back with "Wow, you must be making over $250,000 a year if you're in favor of McCain."

I heard a quote from Bill Ayers this morning on NPR, who said in essence he thinks/hopes this is the last time the Nixon playbook will see the light of day (with regard to Presidential elections).
The question regarding McCain's tax plan is really only a valid question in the context you describe when people with obviously lower incomes cite it as the reason they were going to vote for McCain. Like Joe The Plumber. There are any number of non-tax related issues people might have chosen to vote for McCain, some I and others who voted for Obama might elect to argue about, and some that may be perfectly valid. McCain was not a devil. He was just wrong on a number of issues. My biggest problem with his entire fiscal plan was that it required that you forget elementary school arithmetic to buy in that it would work, from the health care fiscal story to the federal budget.

But this thread was about global climate change and I apologize for injecting my political dig at the originator if it diverts the thread much longer. Jim
post #118 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
And the absence of any impact CO2 has on their average temperature. Clearly a fascinating and unique meteorological anomaly.
Global warming is not a localized event, but not only that, I posted evidence of sea level rise, drought, and temperature rise on the Hawaiin Islands.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #119 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
The question regarding McCain's tax plan is really only a valid question in the context you describe when people with obviously lower incomes cite it as the reason they were going to vote for McCain. Like Joe The Plumber. There are any number of non-tax related issues people might have chosen to vote for McCain, some I and others who voted for Obama might elect to argue about, and some that may be perfectly valid. McCain was not a devil. He was just wrong on a number of issues. My biggest problem with his entire fiscal plan was that it required that you forget elementary school arithmetic to buy in that it would work, from the health care fiscal story to the federal budget.

But this thread was about global climate change and I apologize for injecting my political dig at the originator if it diverts the thread much longer. Jim
This may come as a suprise to some, but I was seriously thinking of voting for McCain when Gore did not enter the race. I agree with him on any number of issues, global warming being one of the central issues. McCain took one mistaken fork in the road - when Karl Rove "retired" McCain hired Rove's staff to run his campaign and gave all the guys who ran his "Straight Talk" meme their walking papers. That and the Palin thing, and he blew his chance at re-election right out of the water overnight, protecting his supposed "base" in a year when the election was going to be won by whoever attracted the independent and center-right Democrats - he could have easily marginalized Obama to the left and taken his chunk out of the middle, and in the end, who else are right wing nut balls going to vote for? Their vote was never a problem.

post #120 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Global warming is not a localized event, but not only that, I posted evidence of sea level rise, drought, and temperature rise on the Hawaiin Islands.
I think Cuban is just having fun. Global Climate Change is a consequence of the energy in a huge volume of the atmosphere that contains approximately 50% of all the molecules that make up the atmosphere. Cuban is playing with you when he suggests localized emission sites are behaving in an anomalous manner when they don't show more rapid temperature changes based on their locally higher concentrations of greenhouse gasses. No greenhouse gas effect can compete with lava flowing on the surface or the energy absorbed by that black crusty surface of solidified lava when it comes to local air and surface temperature measurements. To get diverted on this tangent is a waste of time. I am certain Cuban knows that. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in