I'm Thinkin' F*** Yeah On This One! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
^NO! If it was real wood it would be cracking and need restoration just from age alone. Plastic wood (as long as its convincing) is a far smarter alternative to those in the know. Besides if you see what they do to make real wood interiors you would not be that enthralled with it.
my 560 SEL has real wood with aluminum backing to keep it all together. I only had to redo some of the clear coat after cracking from age. The wood was intact. After 20 or so layers of polyurethane my wood was as good as new.
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:02 PM
slightly creased
 
420 SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, AUS & Doha, Qatar
Posts: 16,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I thought you were looking at the family trucker from yesterday? I liked it, even if the panels fit was crap.

I can't get those links to open so I have no idea what they look like.

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

420 SE is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
MBLR's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Location: Utah-ha hah!
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use to work at a place that made those Plastic door panels with the fake assed wood grain..... it was cool till a dude got his hand smashed to shit in the molding machine with 500 tons of pressure to lock it close and his hand became one of the wood grain door panels.... (it was a left hand door panel with a right hand)....they had to clean the mold with razor blades ick!
MBLR is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 11,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The problem with the Fleetwood is that the car is woefully underpowered. My dad had a 1980 Coupe DeVille and this was the last big Caddy with a decent size V8: 6.0 liter with a 4 barrel carburetor. It still had rather modest HP output- 150 HP if I remember correctly.

In 1981 Cadillac came out with the ridiculous 8-6-4 cylinder switching engine which never worked right. I believe it was the same 360 cu in (6.0 liter) engine as in 1980. Fortunately, the system could be easily deactivated making the engine a straight 360 cu in V8. This was the GM's solution to zillions of complaints.

In 1982 Cadillac started using an aluminum small V8 of only 250 cu in (4.1 liter) displacement. I put out only 125 Hp and it is a joke in a large heavy rear wheel drive car like this Fleetwood sedan. I almost bought one of these cars years ago but when I test drove there was nothing that even resembled any adequate performance. And there was even an optional engine that year: are you sitting down? A 4.1 liter V6 with a 4 BBL carburetor and putting out a whopping 110 HP!!!!! A real 240 D performance in a full size Cadillac body. This was GM's approach to build more economical cars. Take the same huge car and put a small engine in it.

In later years Cadillac started using a 5.0 liter V8 with a 4 barrel carburetor in rear wheel drive large sedans, then later a 5.7 (350 cu in v8).

Last edited by p100; 11-15-2008 at 08:21 PM.
p100 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
The problem with the Fleetwood is that the car is woefully underpowered. My dad had a 1980 Coupe DeVille and this was the last big Caddy with a decent size V8: 6.0 liter with a 4 barrel carburetor. It still had rather modest HP output- 150 HP if I remember correctly.

In 1981 Cadillac came out with the ridiculous 8-6-4 cylinder switching engine which never worked right. I believe it was the same 360 cu in (6.0 liter) engine as in 1980. Fortunately, the system could be easily deactivated making the engine a straight 360 cu in V8. This was the GM's solution to zillions of complaints.

In 1982 Cadillac started using an aluminum small V8 of only 250 cu in (4.1 liter) displacement. I put out only 125 Hp and it is a joke in a large heavy rear wheel drive car like this Fleetwood sedan. I almost bought one of these cars years ago but when I test drove there was nothing that even resembled any adequate performance. And there was even an optional engine that year: are you sitting down? A 4.1 liter V6 with a 4 BBL carburetor and putting out a whopping 110 HP!!!!! A real 240 D performance in a full size Cadillac body. This was GM's approach to build more economical cars. Take the same huge car and put a small engine in it.

In later years Cadillac started using a 5.0 liter V8 with a 4 barrel carburetor in rear wheel drive large sedans, then later a 5.7 (350 cu in v8).
You are spot on buddy. The 6.0 L was actually a 368 cu in, the same as in my '58 with tri carbs. The '82 to '87 HT4100 was a real piece of shit. The worse drive train that Cadillac ever made and the primary reason so many left in droves who were the repeat Cadillac customers. Can't blame them at all as the engine was an underpowered piece of fucking shit, same with the pathetic transmission; However, had it been a Ferrari or Jaguar it would have gotten a pass, since we all know what junk they have produced in the past and people still laud their accomplishments. Cadillac only got the drive train right when they coincidentally bored the cylinder head to 4.5 L, and more importantly, lost the aluminum heads and reverted to cast iron like the block was. Those are 250k mile engines needless to say, more like Cadillac was renowned for through the decades.

Last edited by Shane; 11-15-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Shane is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
my 560 SEL has real wood with aluminum backing to keep it all together. I only had to redo some of the clear coat after cracking from age. The wood was intact. After 20 or so layers of polyurethane my wood was as good as new.

Jesus, you sound like Jay.........
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Jesus, you sound like Jay.........
It's all in the polish
DP is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
...Plastic wood (as long as its convincing) is a far smarter alternative to those in the know.....
...sigh.....

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by edfreeman; 11-16-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: quote fixed
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
...sigh.....
Regarding longevity... sigh...
Shane is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good taste...[sigh]

btw: congrats on 13k
Zeitgeist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    I'm Thinkin' I was in DENIAL nobby R/C107 SL/SLC Class 6 06-26-2008 05:42 AM
    What were they thinkin'? ThrillKill Off-Topic 4 08-29-2006 04:07 PM
    Yeah baby yeah! A new 123 for me ;) bmwloco W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class 6 03-27-2006 09:02 PM
    Mpg. yeah yeah i no its ben done b4 Guest W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class 0 08-30-2004 07:21 PM
    thinkin about getting a bodykit 3 baN 2 PoW 0 C208/A208 CLK-Class 1 11-24-2002 06:13 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome