Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: The PIG -'83 280 SL 5 speed
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Good Old Days

Comments made in the year 1955.
That's only 53 years ago.

'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00.

'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2, 000.00 will only buy a used one.

'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous.

'Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter

'If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.

'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.

'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas .

'Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.

'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

'There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

'No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.'

'If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

Originally Posted by nobby View Post
ils peuvent aller se faire mettre
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Except that we had more competent people around running the show and education was much much better
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Amazing, like It's a totally awesome-ness thing no one can like read this, dudes
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Back in the good old days we had a supersonic commercial passenger airliner which could fly London to New York in a bit over three hours.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Comments made in the year 1955.
That's only 53 years ago.

'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas .
I want to know who this guy was. He seemed to know something that nobody else in the world knew.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
And to think Ed Gein was eating peoples genitals in his barn while all this worry warting was going on.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Unfortunately because of the last 8 years, the prices will climb much faster for a while now
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: