Why Obama can heal US racial wounds - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds like West, IMO. Do you think it would be edited for content in the ME?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD View Post
I don't know if it would be edited, marginalized, ignored or influential. I think it changes the perceived slant of the piece significantly when directly translated into Arabic.

"People, and countries, can change.

The past lives among us, but we do not have to be bound by it.

That is what this November season of astonishment has shown me." -Fin

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SL 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im not saying Obama's presidency will heal all or cure all, but i think it will and has already had a profound affect on good Americans interested in the good of not just themselves but their fellow Americans as well.

just this weekend a woman of another race was entering the bank ATM just as i was leaving and we had a warm heartfelt conversation for about 3 minutes about America and its future. normally people barely say hello. maybe because it NYC, but i thought it was a big deal and pretty cool.

on the flip side just his presidency alone, not his policies, has shown us who the the true racists are.

05' SL500 - 06'RR SPORT
"Stop acting like you hit a triple, When you were Born on third base"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Al Jazeera, Spiegel, The Economist? I agree that they all have differing view points, just as you would have to agree that the majority of their reporting is not sympathetic towards the U.S. unless they are writing about how the U.S. has failed in some fashion or another.

I assume that the blinders are in reference to your myopic view of the world.
Does that mean that if the U.S. has failed, it shouldn't be reported?
Your first assumption was correct, they were not in reference to my world view.
Attached Images

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD View Post
You have to look hard to find any Osama bin Laden cartoons in MENA publications for example.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Does that mean that if the U.S. has failed, it shouldn't be reported?
Your first assumption was correct, they were not in reference to my world view.
Not at all. Actually let me re-phrase the statement.

They do not report anything except unfavorable news that casts the Bush administration in a negative light.

There, that is more like it.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
News Americas

Why Obama can heal US racial wounds

By Rob Reynolds, Al Jazeera's senior Washington correspondent

Obama has become a powerful symbol in the fight to overcome the US's racial divisions [EPA]

When I was a teenager, I used to hitchhike out west of Washington to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia to go camping with my friends (yes, you could hitchhike without being murdered back then).

We would usually get stuck about halfway out to Shenandoah National Park, waiting for a ride at a little crossroads called Ben Venue.

Up on the hillside above the crossroads was a big, old house with many windows and tall Doric columns out in front.

I suppose it used to be a plantation back in the days before the American Civil War.

We always noticed a row of five or six very small cabins, made of hewn logs and covered with peeling whitewash, off to the left of the main building.

Once, when we got a ride with a local man in a pickup truck, I asked him about those tiny cabins. "Slave quarters," he explained.

Galvanising movement

I now live in Bethesda, Maryland. Not far from my house there is another old, wooden structure.

This is the cabin where Josiah Henson, a slave on the plantation of Isaac Riley, lived.

Henson worked the fields and eventually escaped to Canada, where he became a minister and wrote an autobiography.

Henson became the model for the title character in a book by Harriet Beecher Stowe called "Uncle Tom's Cabin" or "Life Among the Lowly".

This novel, published in 1852, was an enormous international best-seller.

Its horrific description of the suffering of enslaved African-American men and women did much to rouse a fierce emotional storm of anti-slavery sentiment among previously indifferent Northerners.

It also galvanised the abolitionist movement and helped lead to the Civil War and, finally, the end of slavery in the US.

When Stowe went to the White House to call on President Abraham Lincoln in the midst of the conflict, Lincoln exclaimed: "You're the little lady who started this Great War."

So, the real Uncle Tom's Cabin still exists, right in my home town.

Global symbol

All of this is a roundabout way of getting to the point that the past is among us, every day.

History is everywhere, inherent in framework in which we perceive the world and immanent in every action we take.

Barack Obama, the US president elect, has visited the White House to call on George Bush, the US president.

The house Obama and Bush entered side-by-side is the global symbol of American power and decision.

But the White House itself, like the little cabins on the hill in Virginia and the still-standing abode of Henson in Bethesda, was originally built by the unrequited toil of slaves.

Thomas Jefferson, the American founding father and president who was capable of such eloquent writing and penetrating reason in defining and defending the concept of human freedom, brought with him to the President's house in 1801 a dozen slaves from his plantation in Virginia.

What a terrible contradiction, and what a terrible legacy that contradiction has burdened this country with down through the centuries.

It was not until 100 years later that the first black person was invited to dinner at the White House, when Theodore Roosevelt hosted Booker T Washington, the famed African-American educator and author.

Not until the administration of Richard Nixon in the 1970s was an African-American guest - the entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr - invited to spend the night there as a guest.

Overcoming hatred

Obama now holds the aspirations of
millions of African-Americans [AFP]
Although Obama's own ancestors were not part of the brutal diaspora of slavery, he has, nonetheless, become a powerful symbol.

The hideous injustice and crime of slavery, repression and racism has, from the beginning, formed the core conflict in American history.

Obama is now the human vessel containing the aspirations for justice that has always lingered, out of reach, for millions of African-Americans.

He also represents - or should - for all Americans the triumph of what Lincoln called the "better angels of our nature" over dark and violent centuries of blind hatred, exploitation, prejudice and mutual distrust.

People, and countries, can change.

The past lives among us, but we do not have to be bound by it.

That is what this November season of astonishment has shown me.

Source: Al Jazeera
Slavery ended almost 150 years ago, I think it's time you got over it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Not at all. Actually let me re-phrase the statement.

They do not report anything except unfavorable news that casts the Bush administration in a negative light.

There, that is more like it.
Casting an architect of mass murder in a negative light is simply being responsible.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Casting an architect of mass murder in a negative light is simply being responsible.
You know what they say about Mussolini...

...not that. The other thing.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
And so it goes...

*sigh*

P.S. No more a mass murderer than Bill Clinton to be fair.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in