BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Paulson admits he doesn't know wtf he's doing

Bush's Man From Goldman Sachs, our Treasury Secretary, has changed his mind yet again about how he's going to throw away our children's earnings.

This is the guy who first said "The problem is contained, Trust us, Everything will be OK.. Our financial systems are relatively stable" and then turned around screaming "OH MY GOD, THE WORLD WILL COLLAPSE WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS IF YOU DON'T GIVE US $700 BILLION. WE HAVE A PLAN BUT THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN, JUST GIVE US THE CASH!!!"

Now he says he's changed his mind about how he's going to give it away and who he's going to give it away to.
"...in a striking admission, Paulson said that buying up mortgage assets (the original plan) "is not the most effective way" to use government funding.

Purchasing these so-called "toxic" assets was once the cornerstone of the rescue plan for financial markets and was almost the entire focus of Congress when the package was being debated before its enactment. But almost as soon as Treasury received the money, it decided that giving capital to banks in return for preferred stock was a better use of the funds...

Some of the money saved from not buying mortgage assets will now be used to shore up the market for credit-card receivables, auto loans and student loans, according to Paulson...

The plan to shore-up asset back securities is not ready yet, he added. "This will take weeks to design and then it will take longer to get up and going."

Paulson declined to say how much it would cost...

Alex Merk, president of Palo Alto Calif.-based Merk Investments, a mutual-fund firm, said that market participants were frustrated with Paulson's communication skills and changing tactics.

"He's been flip-flopping... it doesn't look like he has a plan," Merk said in an interview. "

"I doubt this is going to have a big offset to the really dramatic fall in consumer spending that we're going to see in the coming year," said Martin Feldstein, an economics professor at Harvard University.

Meanwhile, sweeping proposals to modify mortgages remain on the table, Paulson said. The cost of these programs will be substantial and don't belong under this rescue package, he added.

On a related matter, the Treasury secretary pointed out that funding for the U.S. auto industry should also not come out of the financial-market rescue plan.

Paulson flips the script on financial-rescue plan - MarketWatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Shocker.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was frightening to watch him today. "I don't know what's wrong, I don't know how to fix it, and I can't tell you how we're going to spend your money." Other than to fund YET ANOTHER expensive junket last weekend for the AIG bigwigs. Yes, as they sat poolside (yet again) between spa visits as Rome was burning, our tax dollars vaporized.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2006 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crook.

current mods:

kenwood dnx 5120
alpine pkg rse2
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are we screwed yet?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, his replacement will have some plan in 68 days. So ol' Hank can amble off into the sunset with his golden parachute with Dick and Jane.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The era that defined Wall Street is finally, officially over. Michael Lewis, who chronicled its excess in Liar’s Poker, returns to his old haunt to figure out what went wrong. The more that I think about this article, the more I realize that Hank Paulson must have known what was coming. He must have realized that the situation he helped to create was about to blow up. I am thinking that he accepted the job of Treasury Secretary in order to save his reputation and try to become part of the solution instead of being remembered as part of the problem.

The End of Wall Street's Boom - National Business News - Portfolio.com

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first with heavenly shows - Othello
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozette View Post

The era that defined Wall Street is finally, officially over. Michael Lewis, who chronicled its excess in Liar’s Poker, returns to his old haunt to figure out what went wrong. The more that I think about this article, the more I realize that Hank Paulson must have known what was coming. He must have realized that the situation he helped to create was about to blow up. I am thinking that he accepted the job of Treasury Secretary in order to save his reputation and try to become part of the solution instead of being remembered as part of the problem.
It's not working, and the odds are it will not now. Paulson needed to be on top of this at the end of 2006 to make a difference OR much more aggressively back in March when Bear Sterns failed. They had to know the full extent at that point, it was just too obvious. Now he is just going to be the guy who gets saddled with the blame [and that is only partially true].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Name one member of the Bush administration who knows what he or she is doing.

The sad state of the country is the silent testimony to that.

Last edited by p100; 11-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
Name one member of the Bush administration who knows what he or she is doing.
Barney is the only one that comes to mind.

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first with heavenly shows - Othello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in