Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Bali bombers put to death

By Indonesia correspondent Geoff Thompson, wires
November 9, 2008 - 11:04AM
Source: ABC

The Indonesian Attorney-General's Office has confirmed that the three Bali bombers have been executed by firing squad for their involvement in the 2002 bombings which killed more than 202 people, including 88 Australians.

A spokesman for the Attorney-General, Jasman Pandjaitan, said all three men have been declared dead.

Earlier news emerged from inside the Bali bombers' prison on Nusakambangan Island in Central Java that the three men - Imam Samudra, 38, Amrozi, 47, and Mukhlas, 48 - were killed.

All three were shot at the same time by three separate firing squads about 12:15am (local time), before a medical team declared them dead.

The bombers' families have also acknowledged the deaths of the three men.

Their bodies have been cleaned and wrapped by family members in preparation for their burials in their home villages in East and West Java later today.

Local news websites are reporting that the three men were driven 10 minutes away to an isolated area within an abandoned prison called Nirbaya, which is also on the island.

The three men were sentenced over the attacks five years ago.

A helicopter will take the remains of Imam Samudra to his village of Serang in West Java.

A brother of Amrozi says his brother is a martyr.

"We confirm that our brother has passed away. Now his soul is flying with the green birds into heaven," he said.

The executions have been repeatedly delayed by a series of failed appeals and most recently, by the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in September.

The bombers said they carried out the attacks in retaliation for US-led aggression in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In a statement issued by their lawyers before the executions, the men said their blood would "become the light for the faithful ones and burning hellfire for the infidels and hypocrites".

In an earlier interview, the militants said their only regret was that some Muslims were killed in the blasts.

The two explosions on Bali's Kuta strip on October 12, 2002 - one at Paddy's Bar and the other at the Sari Club - dealt a severe blow to the island's tourist industry.

Travel warning
Yesterday Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said the Government was reissuing its travel warning for Indonesia.

People are being warned to reconsider any travel to Indonesia and Bali due to the possibility of reprisal attacks.

Mr Smith says the Government is aware that a large number of Australian students are planning to go to Indonesia for schoolies week from mid-November.

He says they want students and parents to be aware that reprisals could occur.

"The executions could prompt a strong reaction," he said.

"We continue to receive credible information that terrorists could be planning attacks in Indonesia.

"You should exercise great care, particularly around locations such as beaches, bars, malls and other venues associated with foreign interests."

The attacks by the south-east Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI) were intended to deter foreigners as part of a drive to make Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country, part of a larger Islamic caliphate.

Although there have been no major bomb attacks since 2005, Indonesia is still considered at risk.

The Indonesian anti-terrorist unit, Detachment 88, was involved in a series of raids last year that authorities say rounded up the heads of JI and its military wing.

- ABC/Reuters

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good riddance.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
About a week ago I read that they were scheduled to be executed shortly, but forgot all about it.

I am not a proponent of capital punishment, but they certainly deserved what they got for their actions.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mixed reactions to Bali bombers' executions

November 9, 2008 - 10:53AM
Victims of the Bali bombings and their families are coming to terms with news the three men responsible for the blasts have been executed.

The Indonesian Attorney-General's Office has confirmed that Imam Samudra, Amrozi and Mukhlas have been executed by firing squad for their involvement in the 2002 bombings which killed more than 202 people, including 88 Australians.

All three were shot at the same time by three separate firing squads on Nusakambangan Island in Central Java about 12:15am (local time), before a medical team declared them dead.

The bombers' families have also acknowledged the deaths of the three men.

Relief
Adelaide magistrate Brian Deegan, whose son Josh died in the bombings, says he opposes the death penalty but gained some relief from the executions.

"It's not going to heal the unhealable wound, it's only going to ulcerate it. What it will do will close a chapter in my life," he said.

"Six years of being asked questions. Six years of perhaps intrusion upon my life. Six years of having to witness the faces of these men who murdered Josh."

Mr Deegan says the executions do nothing to heal the loss of his son.

"I can't look at a paper, I can't watch the news, I can't watch movies because I'm constantly reminded of it. Each day, each week, each month of the past six years, there has been a constant reminder when I least expect it," he said.

Josh Deegan was an under 19 reserves player for SANFL club Sturt, who was in the Sari Club when the bomb went off.

Mr Deegan has been an active campaigner to find out what the Federal Government knew about terrorism warnings before the attack and seeking compensation for victims.

Barbara Hackett's daughter Kathy Salvatori died in the bombings.

But Ms Hackett says she does not believe in the death penalty.

"It can't bring back Kathy or the other 201 victims," she said.

She says the bombers deaths will not bring her closure.

Focus on victims
Former Sturt footballer Julian Burton says his focus has always been on the victims and survivors, not the bombers.

Mr Burton was seriously injured in the 2002 Bali attacks, sustaining third degree burns to 23 per cent of his body.

"I've just never really focused on them. I've always just really focused on what's in my control and that is my ability to recover and get on with life," he said.

"I was very lucky in a lot of ways so I've got to be very grateful for being alive and being able to live life. There's a lot of people who aren't in my position.

"Every day you look at your body and your body's unfortunately been damaged and disfigured, but I get up and I'm allowed to walk away form the mirror and from the injuries so I'm very lucky."

Mr Burton set up the Julian Burton Burns Trust after the bombings and recently participated in the New York marathon to raise money for the trust.

Another SANFL footballer, Tim Weatherald, who was also in the Sari Club at the time of the bombing, says the bombers deserved the death penalty.

"We don't have to worry about them any more I suppose. People talk about there might be some retaliation I suppose to them being put to death but I think there'd be some sort of retaliation anyway," he said.

"This isn't going to make any difference, it isn't going to make it any more dangerous than it already is, so from a selfish point of view I'm glad."

Perth man Peter Hughes was badly burnt in the attacks and says while he doesn't generally support the death penalty it was appropriate in this instance.

"These guys set about mass murder. They meant to do what they wanted to do," he said.

"They killed a lot of people and they injured many others and I know a lot of the victims families back here in Australia, their loved ones didn't come home, are suffering badly and I think it was very appropriate."

Threat continues
Geoffrey Thwaites, whose son Robert died in the bombings, says it has been a difficult morning.

"Certain amount of relief, but generally not much. I had some physical difficulties this morning when I found out. My legs cramped up. My stomach cramped up," he said.

"But emotional, not too much. Tears without crying came out. I guess that pretty well how I felt."

Mr Thwaites says the executions will not stop terrorism.

"By executing these three people, the problem hasn't gone away. The master plan of these people is still in place, their business plan of taking over the world in their own way," he said.

"So I think we still have a long way to go. This is only a very small step in the process."

Ross

OzBenz

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hundreds clash as Bali bombers' bodies arrive home

By Indonesian correspondent Geoff Thompson and wires
November 9, 2008 - 2:49PM

Hundreds of emotional supporters of the Bali bombers have clashed with police, as the bodies of two of them arrived in their home village following their execution overnight.

Hundreds of heavily armed police could not control the 500-strong crowd which surged around the ambulances carrying the bodies of Amrozi and his brother Mukhlas.

Clashes broke out and the police were driven off the road amid shouts of "Jihad!" and "Get out!"

There were similar scenes in the west Java town of Serang as Imam Samudra's body was paraded through the streets between his local mosque and graveyard, shrouded in a black cloth bearing a Koranic inscription in Arabic.

Members of a radical group headed by hardline cleric Abu Bakar Bashir, the co-founder of Jemaah Islamiyah, who was jailed on a conspiracy charge related to the bombings before being released, pushed people aside to make way for the body.

Westerners in both villages were verbally abused as "infidels" and told to leave.

The three condemned bombers, Imam Samudra, 38, Amrozi, 47, and Mukhlas, 48, were led from their prison cells around midnight (local time) to a field where they were strapped to wooden poles, blindfolded and each shot in the heart by firing squads.

After being pronounced dead by doctors, autopsies were performed and their bodies were prepared for burial.

Indonesian police have promised tight security at the funerals with several hundred supporters expected to attend.

Travel warning
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says he feels for the families of the those killed in the bombings.

"Today is a time for us to bear in our thoughts and our prayers 202 Australian and Indonesian families, who are shattered by the Bali bombing six years ago, their lives remain shattered they have been changed fundamentally by that murder," he said.

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith has told ABC1's Insiders program the Government has concerns for the safety of many Australians travelling in Indonesia.

"We urge them to be very careful and exercise extreme caution and particularly to avoid those places where previous attacks have occurred, beaches bars and the like," he said.

"We are worried about the prospect of the supporters of the Bali bombers engaging in either demonstrations or reprisals."
Opposition frontbencher Joe Hockey says he does not support the death penalty, but hopes some good comes from the executions.

"If there is any upside in today's events it is hopefully the message that terrorism is unacceptable in any country," he said.

The Opposition has also urged Australians in Bali to be careful.
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says she does not support the death penalty, but hopes the families of the victims will now be able to move on.

"The constant speculation about this issue has been very traumatic for those people whose families have been affected by it," she said.

"I hope for those people who've lost a loved one in the Bali bombing that this execution overnight will help them to have some closure on what's been a terrible and tragic event."

Australians on death row
The Opposition also says it will be taking a different approach for Australians facing the death penalty in Indonesia than it did ahead of the executions of the Bali bombers.

Coalition foreign affairs spokesperson Senator Helen Coonan says it will support Government moves to to spare the lives of Australians facing the death penalty in Asia, but would not interfere with Indonesia's legal system.

"We consider that it's very important that we make representations on behalf of Australians if they are given the death penalty. That will certainly occur and we don't see that there's any parallel," she said.

"The Bali bombers have been tried and convicted and their sentence is very much a matter for the Indonesian legal process."
Ms Coonan says the Coalition would not make a judgement on whether capital punishment for the Bali bombers was right or wrong.

She said the decision to execute the three was up to the Indonesians.

"We did not consider it appropriate to make presentations about non-citizens. Its a very different position if an Australian is given the death penalty," she said.

"We of course, with the Government, would be making representation, but we do say that this has been a matter for the Indonesian authorities."
Federal Opposition frontbencher Andrew Robb has told Channel 10 many Australians will welcome the bombers' executions.

"I think it might hopefully give a lot of people in Australia a sense of closure all of those who had some association with the many that were killed in two incidents in Bali," he said.

Amnesty
Meanwhile, Amnesty International has criticised the executions.

Amnesty is opposed to the death penalty in all countries and says the Federal Government should take a consistent approach to calling for its abolition.

Australian campaign co-ordinator Katie Wood says the bombers' lives should have been spared.

"Effectively they should have gone through a fair trial and they should have had a sentence of imprisonment imposed on them rather than the death penalty," she said.

"Ultimately as we've seen, the execution of the Bali bombers may well create martyrs whose memory risks increasing support and recruitment for their cause and there's absolutely no evidence that their execution will deter further criminal acts."

The militant leader and alleged mastermind of the Bali bombings remains at large.

Malaysian born Noordin Mohammed Top heads the radical faction of the Jemaah Islamiyah network and authorities have been looking for him since 2002.

It is thought that his arrest would help decapitate the jihadi group.

- ABC/AFP

Ross

OzBenz

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Everyone that I have spoken to about this here (Indonesian and Expat alike) openly say good riddance to the scum. We have has to endure their smiling gloating faces sitting in a prison yard enjoying as much comforts as they would have int thier home. Fuck'em.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 e 350 4matic wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The real concern is when this type of human garbage gets hold of even greater weapons.The Nazi's incinerated their "social/racial" enemies.These nutbars will do likewise but with the added "justification" of their religious indoctrination.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomichael View Post
The real concern is when this type of human garbage gets hold of even greater weapons.The Nazi's incinerated their "social/racial" enemies.These nutbars will do likewise but with the added "justification" of their religious indoctrination.
Well better guard those nukes in Eastern Europe, Pakistan and India all that much better and as well keep Iran in check..............

I live among them, all we have to do is keep an eye out for the next year or 2 for a bomb considering there will most likely be retaliation for the executions above.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 AM
~BANNED~

Bali bombers buried in emotional ceremonies

TENGGULUN, Indonesia (Reuters) - Three Indonesian militants executed on Sunday for the 2002 Bali bombings were buried by their families at ceremonies attended by thousands of supporters shouting "Allahu akbar" (God is greatest).
Some analysts had warned of a hardline backlash but the funerals went off relatively peacefully, despite some scuffles with police and reporters.
The three men from the militant group Jemaah Islamiah -- Imam Samudra, 38, Mukhlas, 48, and Amrozi, 46 -- were executed by firing squad on Nusakambangan island in central Java shortly after midnight, the attorney-general's office said.
The two explosions on Bali's Kuta strip on October 12, 2002 killed 202 people, including 88 Australians and 38 Indonesians.
"People need to be vigilant and there's a possibility of someone responding to the appeal of the three dead men but I don't think people should believe that there will automatically be some active terrorism," Sidney Jones, a security expert from the Brussels-based International Crisis Group, said.
In an interview with Reuters last year, the militants said their only regret was that some Muslims were killed.
Emotions ran high as thousands of people poured onto the streets for the funerals after the bodies were flown by helicopter to their home towns -- brothers Mukhlas and Amrozi to Tenggulun in East Java, and Samudra to Serang in West Java.
About 3,000 people gathered when Samudra's body, covered in a black shroud with Islamic inscriptions, was carried to a mosque. Some jostled to touch the body or help carry the bier.
In Tenggulun, thousands of militant Islamists from various groups had gathered, shadowed by armed police.
People chanted "Goodbye Syuhada (heroes)" and "Allahu akbar" as the bodies of Mukhlas and Amrozi were taken from the mosque to an Islamic boarding school where controversial cleric Abu Bakar Bashir led prayers for the brothers.
Bashir, who has been accused of co-founding regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah, was jailed for conspiracy over the Bali bombings, but later cleared of wrongdoing.
Earlier, there were some clashes with the police as authorities tried to prevent the crowd from getting too close to the bodies.
SHOT THROUGH THE HEART
The attorney general's spokesman said the bombers had asked not to be blindfolded for the execution.
"Only one bullet hit the victims, right on the left chest hitting the heart," Jasman Pandjaitan told a news conference.

Families of victims in Australia, which is officially opposed the death penalty, had mixed reactions to the executions.
Survivor Erik de Haart, a member of Sydney football club Coogee Dolphins that lost six members in the attack, said the executions meant the bombers could not spread their message.
"Now they can't encourage any more people," he told Reuters Television.
The three men had made repeated media appearances on death row, often sounding defiant and calling for more attacks.
Georgia Lysaght, another Australian who lost her 33-year-old brother Scott in the attacks, said the executions would make little difference to how she felt.
"It isn't going to bring Scott back and it isn't going to change what happened," she said.
Indonesia has tightened security due to fears of revenge attacks and Australia immediately issued a travel warning for citizens going to Indonesia.
"We continue to have credible information that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia," Foreign Minister Stephen Smith told Australian television.
Although there have been no major bomb attacks since 2005, Indonesia is considered still at risk.
Jemaah Islamiah said the Bali attacks were intended to deter foreigners as part of a drive to make Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country, part of a larger Islamic caliphate.
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said his thoughts were with the families of the victims, whose "lives remain shattered."
BALINESE PRAYERS
Although new attacks targeting bars and tourist hangouts were possible, Jemaah Islamiah's network was fractured and sympathy for the bombers was low, an Australian analyst said.
"There will be some people in Indonesian society who regard them as martyrs, but they will be a very small proportion," said Damien Kingsbury, an associate professor at Deakin University.
About a hundred Balinese, including some survivors, prayed at a memorial near the blast site in Kuta.
The Balinese widow of a security guard killed in the blasts said she hoped the executions would mark some closure.

"Let the past be behind us and I hope there will not be any revenge from their families and supporters," Wayan Rasmi said. The body of her husband was never found after the blasts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How about someone leaves a pig head and pour some pig blood all over their graves. That will be the biggest revenge of all!!

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in