McCain lost because
1. Palin. (she deserves her own separate list)
2. his age (his 'best before" date has passed but he doesn't know it).
3. Backlash against the Republican Party that unravelled America and put America where it is today.
4. he over-estimated the history of his past in convincing Americans of his future abilities.
5. His largely military-first orientation, believing Americans wanted to follow him down that road too.
6. His lack of 'Presidential Presence".
7. His lack of Economic orientation playing against him right when this is THE issue foremost with voters
8. His support of Bush too often and on too many issues
9. His "maverick" b.s. marketing/posturing. See point #8
10. His inattention on issues of importance to USA allies and World in general.Ok for USA-oriented Republicans,not ok for everybody else on planet.
I'll stop at 10 out of respect for the old boy...