JUST STOP - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Obama is beyond isms and doesn't need this board, which isn't, to defend him with shouting, but rather for it to rise to the occasion of his new America and defeat what is wrong with real work instead of jack boots.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I want to first off, say that I agree with you 100%. But, I feel I must add an observation of my own as to what has been tolerated on this board for such a long period of time.

I have seen pictures of Bush depicted as a chimpanzee. Fair enough, but what is to happen if someone posts a picture of Obama as a chimpanzee? Will someone suddenly snarl 'racism!'? Most definitely. I could find more examples of what I'm driving at but I think you and others get the picture.

I've seen mega turds hurled at the right on this board for the length of my membership. I've hurled my fair share of them back. EVERYONE HAS! I see no one innocent of this - period. Some are worse at it than others. But, as I feared, now that an Obama administration is on the horizon, I find it odd and quite amazing that there is a clear attempt to quell the 'opposition' against Obama and his policies with threats of warnings and bans if there is even a mistaken hint of racist overtones. Not good, IMHO, because there are so many thin skinned members here, it would be extremely difficult to criticize Obama and his policies at all without someone slinging out the race card.

I feel that the left on this board should be prepared to experience and accept a certain degree of discomfort since so much has been dealt out to the right over the last 5 years. I also think that one must be careful to blatantly toss racist comments about Obama on this board. But, when he makes decisions and policies rooted in racial overtones or racial motivations, we all should be equally prepared to accept that criticism without screaming racism at every turn.

So, in conclusion, the 'right' does not nor ever has held a monopoly on hatred and vitriol. Don't expect anyone to handle Obama with kid gloves, just because he's black, when he pulls a few dumbass maneuvers in his 4 year term. Be ready to take it. That is all.
I don't expect to see anyone treat Obama with kid gloves. I will be included in that group that complains when it is what I think.

There is a very vast difference between criticizing a person on their performance, ideals, logic, policy and decisions and the chatter that has occurred regarding race as it relates to this Presidential Election season and now as a Presidency. Both the concepts of the debate and the general motivations of the debates are far different.

Will a picture of a chimp as Obama be regarded as racist? I would bet that CONTEXT would define the moving line, just as the context and content changes a debate on race from "discuss race relations" to "inflame racial tensions". One establishes logical positions, based on thought and the other establishes emotional positions, based on [usually] hate or paranoia [fear of the change of status quo]. As we have seen today, the conversation moved quickly to the inflaming mode, some accidental and some intentional.

There has not been an attempt to quell the opposition against Obama. The attempt was to quell a firefight on racism. Those are not remotely the same thing.

So as BWOT and Obama move forward there are going to be very spirited discussions of his economic changes, bailouts, social programs, what he does and does not do and why and all that will be fully fair game. I would be sorely disappointed if the folks on the MINORITY right failed to step up.

With ALL of the subjects a President addresses on a daily basis and all the crap he is capable of screwing up, while I can think of thousands of things to focus on, his race really is not one of them.

Now, the fact that he has a Doctorate from Harvard...THAT makes a few of the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172 View Post
Obama is beyond isms and doesn't need this board, which isn't, to defend him with shouting, but rather for it to rise to the occasion of his new America and defeat what is wrong with real work instead of jack boots.
Gov't is the answer. Amen.
post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SL 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
Taking a start up with 1-2 guys to a multi-million dollar business, that's an accomplishment.
the very fact that Obama could have EASILY started his own law firm or other business to make a ton of cash for himself like most people would naturally, and in context, selfishly do. but he CHOSE to help people in his community. if thats not an impressive accomplishment to you then it says a lot about you.

are you are more impressed with people who make a lot of money and have no character or moral's? i know a lot of people who are rich and could careless about you, period!

every decent person i know would consider what he did an accomplishment but to you his color of his skin negates that.

05' SL500 - 06'RR SPORT
"Stop acting like you hit a triple, When you were Born on third base"
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
This thread makes Obama cry.

Really,

after less than 48hours since his victory speech, and let's not forget Senator McCain's cathartic concession speech, we're back to (or perhaps even regressed further than) where we were.

The crap that's littered around here run contrary to the main messge in both the speeches. I bet Senator McCain would cry too if he saw what's going on here.

And mitch, fair enough, but an attitudes like that propagates feud like that between the Hatfields and the McCoys that sees no end.

Break the cycle; those who suffered the abuse of 'predominantly' 'leftist' members here, this is your time to grind the ax to prepare for a juicy retaliation (at least for the next 4 years) - or you could perhaps rise above all that and really shine.

Look at yourself in the mirror and ask thyself how you'd like to be perceived by others, whether online or in actual face to face situations.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
There is no question.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SL 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I want to first off, say that I agree with you 100%. But, I feel I must add an observation of my own as to what has been tolerated on this board for such a long period of time.

I have seen pictures of Bush depicted as a chimpanzee. Fair enough, but what is to happen if someone posts a picture of Obama as a chimpanzee? Will someone suddenly snarl 'racism!'? Most definitely. I could find more examples of what I'm driving at but I think you and others get the picture.

I've seen mega turds hurled at the right on this board for the length of my membership. I've hurled my fair share of them back. EVERYONE HAS! I see no one innocent of this - period. Some are worse at it than others. But, as I feared, now that an Obama administration is on the horizon, I find it odd and quite amazing that there is a clear attempt to quell the 'opposition' against Obama and his policies with threats of warnings and bans if there is even a mistaken hint of racist overtones. Not good, IMHO, because there are so many thin skinned members here, it would be extremely difficult to criticize Obama and his policies at all without someone slinging out the race card.

I feel that the left on this board should be prepared to experience and accept a certain degree of discomfort since so much has been dealt out to the right over the last 5 years. I also think that one must be careful to blatantly toss racist comments about Obama on this board. But, when he makes decisions and policies rooted in racial overtones or racial motivations, we all should be equally prepared to accept that criticism without screaming racism at every turn.

So, in conclusion, the 'right' does not nor ever has held a monopoly on hatred and vitriol. Don't expect anyone to handle Obama with kid gloves, just because he's black, when he pulls a few dumbass maneuvers in his 4 year term. Be ready to take it. That is all.
here the thing cmitch, pics of Bush as a chimp however distasteful was based on his actions and decisions while in office which has had negative effects on all of us. its point is to state he's is not too smart or stupid or so on..

for one to use the same depiction of Obama, which we've already seen. someone who hasn't even taken office yet or done anything to affect anyone shows the real meaning behind it.
also to ignore the history that everyday innocent blacks have been depicted as chimps or apes for no reason and economic and social racism were usually attached to it sounds like convenient and purposeful ignorance.

just like depicting Bush as a chimp has no racial over/undertones. if and when you need to criticize Obama would it bother you to depict him with something that doesn't speak to our country's racial past?

05' SL500 - 06'RR SPORT
"Stop acting like you hit a triple, When you were Born on third base"
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
No, the pictures/likeness were based on appearance.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Wow, we've really had a breakthrough tonight. Welcome aboard, comrade.

Now, about those drapes...
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in