post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R.I.P. May God Bless Their Souls

Last night as I sat alone watching history take place something significant came to mind witch brought tears to my eyes. I realized that all people since the conception of humanity that died for equal rights can now truly Rest In Peace. Those who gave there souls to see this day, Black, White, Asian, Latino, all races who gave their lives in the war against racism, sexism, segregation, and discrimination. Take a moment in your hearts to thank those who did. And thank you from me for believe in the United States of America.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I hope this is part of an ending to this ugly chapter in our history.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I hope this is part of an ending to this ugly chapter in our history.
In my heart I feel it is, and yet it is a new beginning in a long line of changes to come. This rings the ugly out of our hearts and we as One Nation can now walk into the future together for a common cause.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Obama winning Virginia has special significance for me. My uncle, my father's brother, was a Navy lifer who spent most of his career in the Norfolk, Va area, which is only a seven hour drive from my hometown in New Hampshire. As a child in the 1960's, we visited there frequently and I stayed there for school vacations as well. NH and Virginia, at that time, you might as well gone to another planet even tho they are separated by a short length of coastline.

This was pre-Great Society, there was no welfare or anything for the poorest of these people. Under every overpass there were black people living in make-shift homes, with sheets and blankets for wall. Most disturbing were the ones you met along the way who suffered from the effects of malnutrition, bow-legged with rickets, blind from lack of milk, it seemed like they were everywhere, but what amazed me the most, was that the white people acted as if they pretended not to see them.

The only time they were seen was when the protocols of racism were violated. I remember one incident that really affected me. We stopped at a store in a small Virginia town along the road, this was before the interstates, and as I loitered around the front counter, a young black girl ran from another store across the road, and came up to the counter, saying she needed change for the store across the way, which apparently was owned by the same owner as the one I was in. The white girl working the counter handed her a roll of quarters. Suddenly, from a side room, a burly middle aged white woman came storming out. She started screaming at the white girl, asking her why she gave a "nigger" a roll of quarters, and how NIGGERS should never be trusted with money, and if she ever did it again, she was fired, as would be the person working at the other store who sent the black girl on the errand. it was as if they turned this little girl into a thing, something that was not a person, some blob of jello, left standing there as her entire person was being defined for the rest of the people in the store as something defective. The burly white woman never even talked to the black girl, never even looked at her until the end of the tirade, when she said "now you get your NIGGER ass out of here". It was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I was ten years old and I still recall it as if it was yesterday.

Years later in college, I read a book called The Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison, a black man who described that very thing. That book, and another called "Black Boy", one of the most searing novels I have ever read, by Richard Wright, that and the civil rights era that unfolded thru my teen years, shape much of how I think today. Everytime I hear some Southern Cracker try to define the Old South as some romantic great era gone by, I remember it. I hate that world. I am glad it is gone. God bless America for this day.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 11-05-2008 at 11:13 AM.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Dude, you really have to stop ordering from the McDepression menu and drinking at Somber Juice. All that starts from with in. If you believe it wont then it wont, please give yourself the opportunity want something and not lean so hard on the Negative Bar.
Hard to see clearly when oneself is wearing the same glasses often claimed to be worn by others.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Obama winning Virginia has special significance for me. My uncle, my father's brother, was a Navy lifer who spent most of his career in the Norfolk, Va area, which is only a seven hour drive from my hometown in New Hampshire. As a child in the 1960's, we visited there frequently and I stayed there for school vacations as well. NH and Virginia, at that time, you might as well gone to another planet.

This was pre-Great Society, there was no welfare or anything for the poorest of these people. Under every overpass there were black people living in make-shift homes, with sheets and blankets for wall. Most disturbing were the ones you met along the way who suffered from the effects of malnutrition, bow-legged with rickets, blind from lack of milk, it seemed like they were everywhere, but what amazed me the most, was that the white people acted as if they pretended not to see them.

The only time there were seen was when the protocols of racism were violated. I remember one incident that really affected me. We stopped at a store in a small Virginia town along the road, this was before the interstates, and as I loitered around the front counter, a young black girl ran from another store across the road, and came up to the counter, saying she needed change for the store across the way, which apparently was owned by the same owner as the one I was in. The white girl working the counter handed her a roll of quarters. Suddenly, from a side room, a burly middle aged white woman came storming out. She started screaming at the white girl, asking her why she gave a "nigger" a roll of quarters, and how NIGGERS should never be trusted with money, and if she ever did it again, she was fired, as would be the person working at the other store who sent the black girl on the errand. it was as if they turned this little girl into a thing, something that was not a person, some blob of jello, left standing there as her entire person was being defined for the rest of the people in the store as something defective. The burly white woman never even talked to the black girl, never even looked at her until the end of the tirade, when she said "now you get your nigger ass out of here". It was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I was ten years old and I still recall it as if it was yesterday.

Years later in college, I read a book called The Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison, a black man who described that very thing. That book, and another called "Black Boy", one of the most searing novels I have ever read, by Richard Wright, that and the civil rights era that unfolded thru my teen years, shape much of how I think today. God bless America for this day.

WOW, I am happy you came out of this a better man.

The first person I called was my mother. I remember my mother telling me stories of how she would be chased out of places because she was a Black Lady. I think remembering these things and seeing what has transpired wont bring resentment but a sense of relief and happiness for the Americans of the United States of America. I can't tell you how many people I spoke to Black, and White who said they are now truly happy to say I am an American. I don't think, thinking otherwise was unpatriotic, I think it was a stigma that fell on us do to current events and our history. We now see that We as a Nation can come together and put this country back in the hands of the American People. If you search my postings on this subject here you will see I am a firm advocate of Unity and believed from my heart America would eventually stand up for America and We did. It doesn't stop here, for the next couple of weeks I will actively contemplate on what I can do to assist in this great effort of ours, because now All Americans will be accountable for all actions hence forth.

post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Hard to see clearly when oneself is wearing the same glasses often claimed to be worn by others.
Exactly what I was thinking.

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
This is a step in the right direction, but Dr. King's dream will not come true until the day that people don't notice what colour the person is running for President.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'll believe that change has finally arrived, when it reaches the swamps and bayous of SE Texas and Louisiana. Those places continue to retain some of the ugliest examples of racism I've ever encountered.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
WOW, I am happy you came out of this a better man.

The first person I called was my mother. I remember my mother telling me stories of how she would be chased out of places because she was a Black Lady. I think remembering these things and seeing what has transpired wont bring resentment but a sense of relief and happiness for the Americans of the United States of America. I can't tell you how many people I spoke to Black, and White who said they are now truly happy to say I am an American. I don't think, thinking otherwise was unpatriotic, I think it was a stigma that fell on us do to current events and our history. We now see that We as a Nation can come together and put this country back in the hands of the American People. If you search my postings on this subject here you will see I am a firm advocate of Unity and believed from my heart America would eventually stand up for America and We did. It doesn't stop here, for the next couple of weeks I will actively contemplate on what I can do to assist in this great effort of ours, because now All Americans will be accountable for all actions hence forth.
That is a beautiful post. I am moved by it. Tell your mom, I am sorry.

There is a special connection with my home state of New Hampshire and the Civil Rights Era. NH is a place with an abolitionist tradition that goes back to before the Civil War. I have a great-grandpa who died at Gettysburg fighting with the most fanatical Abolitionist regiment of the Civil War, of which there weren't damned many. Many New Hampshire college students volunteered to be on the Freedom Rides and to register black voters during that era. Several were murdered, many of them were beaten. It was a sad time. I am grateful to my grandfather, who took much time to give me the historical perspective on a battle started in 1861 that was still raging in America.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 11-05-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in