My President (elect) - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
I guess that Obama is going to have the living shit beat out of him in the press when nothing revolutionary happens within 6 mos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Thank you.

Of course, no one put a gun to his head (as far as we know) and said, "Take the low road, Mac."

Look at it for what it was. Slender, young, oratorical, "sexy" candidate who is the media's darling with no explainable, accountable background relating to his rise with unlimited, also largely unaccountable funds vs an old, oddly broken and disfigured man who got that way in long service to his country who basically grossed out anyone under thirty who scrambled to meet the payroll.

There is no road high enough to take that would result in victory. He would have been seen as "kindly old gramps heading for the rocking chair"

Tear the other guy down was the only option with a chance of winning.

If it was a video game, Obama's skill level was set on "Easy" while McCain's was turned to "Brutal". John McCain came to win and against huge odds, he did remarkably well.

All that is now past, however. January 20, it all becomes an officially new game. Let's hope President (elect) Obama gained the necessary skills to successfully play at a new level. I know I hope he does.
If Obama puts together an Administration half as efficient as the Campaign team, THAT is an excellent start. I really don't have doubts about that.

But I still think that if 2000 McCain had ran, it would have been a much different race. If he had run on his Principles and run on HIS strong suite, that could have been a stabilizing influence. By going hard negative he turned off many more than he turned on.

And look at the numbers. Bush got 62 Million votes. McCain got 56 Million. Where did that Six Million Republicans go? You have to assume many were just not happy with what turned out to be a reckless campaign, loaded with mistakes and missteps.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The other chant I've heard, which is something I think will be far more transformational in our society, is black people having the conversation with their kids that involve their futures, for the first time, without caveats.

Now, they can really and honestly tell their children "you can be anything you want to be when you grow up, even President." There were a number of commentators who mentioned that and got choked up in doing so. I admit I didn't understand how important that fact was.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If Obama puts together an Administration half as efficient as the Campaign team, THAT is an excellent start. I really don't have doubts about that.

But I still think that if 2000 McCain had ran, it would have been a much different race. If he had run on his Principles and run on HIS strong suite, that could have been a stabilizing influence. By going hard negative he turned off many more than he turned on.

And look at the numbers. Bush got 62 Million votes. McCain got 56 Million. Where did that Six Million Republicans go? You have to assume many were just not happy with what turned out to be a reckless campaign, loaded with mistakes and missteps.
You know, if it didn't serve any other purpose, CNN's coverage of the Presidential debates with the little "life line" deal provided instant feedback that negativity by the campaigners was the fastest, most effective way to become disengaged from voters.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Secular is good. Pentecostal evangelical fundie is -- well, work it out...
You would have hated Andrew Jackson as a President then.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
The other chant I've heard, which is something I think will be far more transformational in our society, is black people having the conversation with their kids that involve their futures, for the first time, without caveats.

Now, they can really and honestly tell their children "you can be anything you want to be when you grow up, even President." There were a number of commentators who mentioned that and got choked up in doing so. I admit I didn't understand how important that fact was.
No the families won't be able to say it. The cultural divide is too great and those families who are on the wrong side of the economic line will be listening to the fools like Sharpton and Jackson.

Mark my words, I have said it before, Jackson and/or Sharpton will come out eventually claiming that Obama is not "Black enough" and that he isn't really helping black families. It is a never ending cycle that sociologists have been trying to figure out for decades.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
No the families won't be able to say it. The cultural divide is too great and those families who are on the wrong side of the economic line will be listening to the fools like Sharpton and Jackson.

Mark my words, I have said it before, Jackson and/or Sharpton will come out eventually claiming that Obama is not "Black enough" and that he isn't really helping black families. It is a never ending cycle that sociologists have been trying to figure out for decades.
Sharpton and Jackson are in the game for a different reason than the National level. I would not assume they will be negative at all toward Obama. To use a sports metaphor He has crossed the goal-line based as much on blocks that they threw as anything else. The laid the groundwork [sometimes misguided] for what we saw last night.

I talked to my friend at lunch today who is 88 and black. He was just in awe of the historical significance of the evening. Not because a black man won, but because we as a country had come far enough for a black man to have to opportunity to win and for 66% of Americans that are white to give him the same look see as they would give a white candidate. [he's pretty smart for a guy with a 5th grade education].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

I talked to my friend at lunch today who is 88 and black. He was just in awe of the historical significance of the evening. Not because a black man won, but because we as a country had come far enough for a black man to have to opportunity to win ...
This hits the nail on the head.

The election of a black man took place over the 20 years leading up to yesterday.

The guy who won on November 4th just saw a street in front of him and crossed it.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172 View Post
This hits the nail on the head.

The election of a black man took place over the 20 years leading up to yesterday.

The guy who won on November 4th just saw a street in front of him and crossed it.

You mean we have elected a Jaywalker, shit we don't need another Jay......
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
You mean we have elected a Jaywalker, shit we don't need another Jay......
When the GOP has finished melting, Jay will be what they will call an Obama Democrat.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in