Mac? or IBM.....Macbook pro? or Dell......... - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I am a long time Mac user and have everyone in the family using Macs. We have 5 notebooks altogether, 3 MacBook Pro's (two 15 inch and one 17 inch) and two MacBooks, all with the IBM chips, and a G5 iMac.

First, all but the iMac (because it is a G5 and not the IBM Core Two Duo chip) run Windows XP just like a PC, with the exception that there is no serial port on a Mac and to connect to devices with a serial port you need a USB to serial port adapter, which is a couple of bucks. When running XP the machine is the same, except that the touch pad functionality is limited - so I recommend using a USB mouse with the right and left buttons and whatever else you might want. We don't run XP and Mac OSX simultaneously - when you start up hold down the option key and you will get a choice of how to boot up - either in XP or OSX. Requires nothing extra that does not come with the standard OSX software.

Get Apple Care. The service is excellent and they replace batteries for some period. Very good service on batteries, and very good service if you need it in an Apple Store. So, if you don't have an Apple Store in driving distance you may be shipping the computer back and forth - save the box. With so many computers I have had to use Apple Care a few times. My 17 inch MacBook Pro is 2 plus years old and has logged about 150,000 miles on airplanes, and has been dropped and banged up pretty bad. Big dent on the lower case near the CD/DVD slot. Had a problem with the DVD player and figured I dropped it once too often. Took it in and they replaced the thing, no charge, no questions. I had a problem with my Mac bluetooth mouse and it was well past warranty, and they just traded me for a new one. Son rolled his chair over the power cord to his and it shorted out - called Apple Care, they shipped him a new one overnight, no questions, no charges - it was a safety issue to them and they took care of him.

Overall, no machines will be without problems. Macs tend to have fewer problems based on my experience with two Dell's from work, and the service if other than the IT department where you work, was, in a word, horrible.

So, a new 15 inch MacBook Pro is a bit expensive, but will, in my estimation, prove it is worth the premium over the long haul. On all the XP operations we make sure the internet connectivity is limited to getting software updates from the OEM suppliers, and have yet to have any issues.

Good luck,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I prefer Macs as well. We have four in the family, and after using a Dell desktop and laptop at work, when the time came to get a new computer here at home it had to be a Mac.

Just the basic iMac, but it's great. Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Plus, it is flat gorgeous.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 96 SL500, 97 E420,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to gqmagic
I've got an Imac and a MacBook, won't be going to anything else anytime soon.

Once you go Mac, you don't go back!!
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Haddixracing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The only things PC's could ever hold over Macs was their price and that some software wasn't compatible. Now that the Mac prices are reasonable and you can run in Windows mode Macs are 100% superior to PCs.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quote:
Mac? or IBM.....Macbook pro? or Dell.........

I didn't see that at my polling station.

did I miss something?

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
A Mac with VMWare Fusion gives you the best combination of features, software, power, and versatility to run what you want to run. It'll be the pricier option, but as far as value goes, it doesn't get much better.

You gotta have an Apple store around there somewhere. Walk in and take a look around, they'll show you everything.
Ok the decision has been made....... today on the way back from the Airport I found out that I would be driving less than 1/2 mile from a very large computer retailer and next to that place within a two minute walk is a very large Apple Retail Store.........

Well I came home from that little shopping spree with a very nice awwww hell lets just say it like it is..... One Hell of a Mutter of a Laptop that kicks ass......

I went in the Apple store first and looked and listened and looked.........Then I went over to the PeeCee Retailer and looked and looked took several test drives on a several really nice computers put a memory stick I had with me that has some very high detailed pictures on it......and then walked out of the PeeCee Retail Store with................ nothing

Walked back into the Apple Retail Store again to look at the Mac book Pro 17 inch and the New Mac Book Pro 15 inch really could not decide between the 17 inch Mac Book Pro or the new 15 inch one....

So I borrowed a quarter for one of the Sales guys and Flipped it

Heads I buy the 15 inch and Tails I buy the 17 inch........

Well right now I am on line typing this in from My New 15 inch Mac Book Pro.

And will not need Vmware since I can boot and Run Windows in a stand alone mode or Apple OS
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You made a great choice and will not be disappointed. Welcome to the 21st century.

Now, if we can only get you a decent fucking grill.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
You made a great choice and will not be disappointed. Welcome to the 21st century.

Now, if we can only get you a decent fucking grill.
Damn! Thats is Propane.....
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You'll love the lack of viruses, the lack of defragging, the lack of Vista funkiness...
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
MS just sent me 5 free copies of Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Pro...I couldn't give them away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in