post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assbabe View Post
Is that what it was? It seemed so, um, large. I yanked it anyway. Might have counted for two or three votes...
Come on Gerlebi, Stephanie isn't really home is she?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
Come on Gerlebi, Stephanie isn't really home is she?
I'm wondering how bored someone has to be to make an account for their girlfriend, then sign in as her just to brag about how big their johnson is. Apparently, it's pretty damned bored.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Bear, if I vote for McCain in CA (not that I am going to ), my vote would mean nutting.

We DO need a direct vote system.

I think
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon View Post
Bear, if I vote for McCain in CA (not that I am going to ), my vote would mean nutting.

We DO need a direct vote system.

I think
I would have said, up until last month that technology has made the Electoral College completely obsolete. However it seems that it is possible for County Clerks to manage to figure out how to screw up what has to be one of the simplest of data collection systems possible. There SHOULD be no way to hose it up but alas.

Now I think we are two cycles away from that.

But yes, we don't need another pop vote win/electoral loss, nor do we need disenfranchisement via block voting like a Dem would see in Texas or a Republican in Oregon or California this year.

Maybe a mandate of overwhelming votes will send a message. But I doubt it. For the first time in a long time, they have some REALLY important work to do ASAP.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
November 4, 2008
Editorial
So Little Time, So Much Damage

While Americans eagerly vote for the next president, here’s a sobering reminder: As of Tuesday, George W. Bush still has 77 days left in the White House — and he’s not wasting a minute.

President Bush’s aides have been scrambling to change rules and regulations on the environment, civil liberties and abortion rights, among others — few for the good. Most presidents put on a last-minute policy stamp, but in Mr. Bush’s case it is more like a wrecking ball. We fear it could take months, or years, for the next president to identify and then undo all of the damage.

Here is a look — by no means comprehensive — at some of Mr. Bush’s recent parting gifts and those we fear are yet to come.

CIVIL LIBERTIES We don’t know all of the ways that the administration has violated Americans’ rights in the name of fighting terrorism. Last month, Attorney General Michael Mukasey rushed out new guidelines for the F.B.I. that permit agents to use chillingly intrusive techniques to collect information on Americans even where there is no evidence of wrongdoing.

Agents will be allowed to use informants to infiltrate lawful groups, engage in prolonged physical surveillance and lie about their identity while questioning a subject’s neighbors, relatives, co-workers and friends. The changes also give the F.B.I. — which has a long history of spying on civil rights groups and others — expanded latitude to use these techniques on people identified by racial, ethnic and religious background.

The administration showed further disdain for Americans’ privacy rights and for Congress’s power by making clear that it will ignore a provision in the legislation that established the Department of Homeland Security. The law requires the department’s privacy officer to account annually for any activity that could affect Americans’ privacy — and clearly stipulates that the report cannot be edited by any other officials at the department or the White House.

The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel has now released a memo asserting that the law “does not prohibit” officials from homeland security or the White House from reviewing the report. The memo then argues that since the law allows the officials to review the report, it would be unconstitutional to stop them from changing it. George Orwell couldn’t have done better.

THE ENVIRONMENT The administration has been especially busy weakening regulations that promote clean air and clean water and protect endangered species.

Mr. Bush, or more to the point, Vice President Dick Cheney, came to office determined to dismantle Bill Clinton’s environmental legacy, undo decades of environmental law and keep their friends in industry happy. They have had less success than we feared, but only because of the determined opposition of environmental groups, courageous members of Congress and protests from citizens. But the White House keeps trying.

Mr. Bush’s secretary of the interior, Dirk Kempthorne, has recently carved out significant exceptions to regulations requiring expert scientific review of any federal project that might harm endangered or threatened species (one consequence will be to relieve the agency of the need to assess the impact of global warming on at-risk species). The department also is rushing to remove the gray wolf from the endangered species list — again. The wolves were re-listed after a federal judge ruled the government had not lived up to its own recovery plan.

In coming weeks, we expect the Environmental Protection Agency to issue a final rule that would weaken a program created by the Clean Air Act, which requires utilities to install modern pollution controls when they upgrade their plants to produce more power. The agency is also expected to issue a final rule that would make it easier for coal-fired power plants to locate near national parks in defiance of longstanding Congressional mandates to protect air quality in areas of special natural or recreational value.

Interior also is awaiting E.P.A.’s concurrence on a proposal that would make it easier for mining companies to dump toxic mine wastes in valleys and streams.

And while no rules changes are at issue, the interior department also has been rushing to open up millions of acres of pristine federal land to oil and gas exploration. We fear that, in coming weeks, Mr. Kempthorne will open up even more acreage to the commercial development of oil shale, a hugely expensive and environmentally risky process that even the oil companies seem in no hurry to begin. He should not.

ABORTION RIGHTS Soon after the election, Michael Leavitt, the secretary of health and human services, is expected to issue new regulations aimed at further limiting women’s access to abortion, contraceptives and information about their reproductive health care options.

Existing law allows doctors and nurses to refuse to participate in an abortion. These changes would extend the so-called right to refuse to a wide range of health care workers and activities including abortion referrals, unbiased counseling and provision of birth control pills or emergency contraception, even for rape victims.

The administration has taken other disturbing steps in recent weeks. In late September, the I.R.S. restored tax breaks for banks that take big losses on bad loans inherited through acquisitions. Now we learn that JPMorgan Chase and others are planning to use their bailout funds for mergers and acquisitions, transactions that will be greatly enhanced by the new tax subsidy.

One last-minute change Mr. Bush won’t be making: He apparently has decided not to shut down the prison in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba — the most shameful symbol of his administration’s disdain for the rule of law.

Mr. Bush has said it should be closed, and his secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, and his secretary of defense, Robert Gates, pushed for it. Proposals were prepared, including a plan for sending the real bad guys to other countries for trial. But Mr. Cheney objected, and the president has refused even to review the memos. He will hand this mess off to his successor.

We suppose there is some good news in all of this. While Mr. Bush leaves office on Jan. 20, 2009, he has only until Nov. 20 to issue “economically significant” rule changes and until Dec. 20 to issue other changes. Anything after that is merely a draft and can be easily withdrawn by the next president.

Unfortunately, the White House is well aware of those deadlines.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
I was gonna vote today, but then I got an email saying that drunks vote on Nov. 5.....
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I'm wondering how bored someone has to be to make an account for their girlfriend, then sign in as her just to brag about how big their johnson is. Apparently, it's pretty damned bored.
It's just pathetic, is what it is.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I went in before noon to give it a shot. I stood in a line for 15 minutes that didn't move a fucking inch. I realize that I live in a shit hole filled with rednecks, but god damnit! What the fuck could they be doing in there? Maybe they're making all the illiterates paint a picture of the candidate they want to vote for? I came back home to get a folding chair and something to read. I'll go back after a while and try again.

I was standing behind a bunch of lower-class white chuckleheads with half their teeth who think "the muslim terrorist nigger" is going to take away their quarter million dollar income, when they don't have a quarter million pennies in the bank. Fucking idiots.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD View Post
I went in before noon to give it a shot. I stood in a line for 15 minutes that didn't move a fucking inch. I realize that I live in a shit hole filled with rednecks, but god damnit! What the fuck could they be doing in there? Maybe they're making all the illiterates paint a picture of the candidate they want to vote for? I came back home to get a folding chair and something to read. I'll go back after a while and try again.

I was standing behind a bunch of lower-class white chuckleheads with half their teeth who think "the muslim terrorist nigger" is going to take away their quarter million dollar income, when they don't have a quarter million pennies in the bank. Fucking idiots.
That's priceless!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
It's just pathetic, is what it is.
Well, at least you don't have to live and vote in West Virginia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in