Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another Palin moment...

Palin misreads First Amendment; Eagleburger: Palin's not ready

(SFGate.com) First, she misstated what the Vice President's role with the Senate was, now Gov. Sarah Palin is misreading the First Amendment. That's OK -- she was wrapping it in a criticism of the "mainstream media" so all is forgiven, right?

Is there a civics teacher in the house? We've got a code red.

Palin told a conservative radio host Friday that it's not a negative attack when she criticizes Obama's associations with 1960s radical Bill Ayers and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Instead, says Sarah P., journalists are threatening her free speech if they say she's going negative when she makes those assertions.

"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

Oh, lordy. The beauty of the First Amendment is that the governor can say whatever she wants about The O and the press is free to point out -- if necessary -- any errors in what she says. Or critique her, without fear of retribution.

Salon's Glen Greenwald's reaction: "According to Palin, what the Founders intended with the First Amendment was that political candidates for the most powerful offices in the country and Governors of states would be free to say whatever they want without being criticized in the newspapers. The First Amendment was meant to ensure that powerful political officials would not be 'attacked' in the papers. It is even possible to imagine more breathaking ignorance from someone holding high office and running for even higher office?"

Perhaps that's why Lawrence Eagleburger, during what was billed an ahem, "making the case" appearance for McCain Friday on NPR, dissed Palin. When asked if Palin was ready to step in as Prez, Larry -- one of the five secretaries of state McCain loves to tout that endorsed him -- went rogue:

"It is a very good question," he said, pausing a few seconds, then adding with a laugh: "I'm being facetious here. Look, of course not."

"I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reigns of the presidency,'' he said. "I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?

"Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year... well I hope not... get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks so much for that deep insight

[edit] Hey, what happened to the post immediately above mine...oh wait, it was Rexxy's, right?

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-02-2008 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
now GS you're being mean to little Caribou Barbie, just 'cause she's a mavericky maverick sort of a gal...

she's got moose...

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Dictator View Post
Sarah Palin is one Vice-President whom would have my full attention. Not only is she attractive she can really seem to rally the people. She has more to loose than ANY of the current candidates. Obama's family doesn’t count because Obama is known to just up and split in the past.
How observant
I like loose women too
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Jay,
If I were you, I would consider a thread posting campaign based on the notion that Obama skate after the election, and take Biden with him, leaving the US in the dipshat hands of Nancy Pelosi.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 190SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Dictator View Post
Sarah Palin is one Vice-President whom would have my full attention. Not only is she attractive she can really seem to rally the people. She has more to loose than ANY of the current candidates. Obama's family doesn’t count because Obama is known to just up and split in the past.

"Sarah is a Good Girl. Now you Heathens bug off!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in