Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
'Paradise' awaits Bali bombers after execution

November 1, 2008 - 3:42PM
Source: ABC

The family of two Islamist militants awaiting execution for the Bali bombings which killed 202 people said paradise awaited them after the firing squads.

Muhammed Chozin, the 52-year-old elder brother of condemned jihadists Amrozi and Mukhlas, said in the bombers' home village the family saw the looming execution as "good news."

Authorities have said the brothers and fellow bomber Imam Samudra could face the firing squad any time from Saturday until mid-November over the 2002 attack against Western tourists on the holiday island.

"The family don't feel burdened by the execution, in fact we're happy because it means God and the prophet have given good news," Mr Chozin said in the Islamic boarding school he runs in this small East Java coastal village.

"If they die because they are standing up for the religion they will be placed in paradise," he said.

The 70-year-old mother of the two bombers has said her sons were right to "kill infidels."

"I don't cry. I leave it all to God," Tariem said after returning from praying at the mosque.

"I feel that killing infidels isn't a mistake because they don't pray," she said, sitting on the stone floor of the family home surrounded by Amrozi's children and wife.

Hordes of journalists and camera crews have descended on the sleepy village of wooden houses and fields of maize and rice to wait out the executions, which are the first under Indonesia's anti-terrorism laws.

Lawyers for the bombers have launched a string of appeals to delay the death sentences being carried out, and said they would launch a fresh, unspecified, legal bid to save the bombers' lives.

Family members for all three bombers and their lawyers have flown to Jakarta and will later go to Bali to present an "extraordinary" appeal to the Bali court that convicted them, lawyer Fahmi Bachmid said.

Mr Bachmid refused to specify what kind of legal appeal the lawyers would make. Indonesian authorities and the Supreme Court have said the bombers have exhausted all avenues for appeal, except for seeking presidential clemency.

'Good riddance'
Senior Lecturer in Indonesian Studies at the Australian National University, Dr Greg Fealey, says he does not think the bombers' executions will lead to major unrest in Indonesia.

"Amongst mainstream Muslims I don't think there'll be much reaction at all. There's very little sympathy or admiration for the Bali bombers," he said.

"Quite a lot of mainstream Muslim leaders have made clear they think people like Amrozi are part of the image problem that Indonesian Islam now has.

"I think there'll be quite a few people who will probably be saying 'good riddance'."

But he says it is the smaller extremist Islamist fringes "that might be drawn towards Jihadism."

"It's possible that those sections of the community will feel very aggrieved; they probably do regard the Bali bombers as martyrs. There may be some small protests," he said.

"And it's also possible that some of the committed Jihadists, the people who've engaged in violence in the past, may try to launch an attack.

"Not immediately, but we know that the police intercepted, or broke open a cell in Jakarta last week, which was planning to attack a petrol depot, a large petrol depot.

"And the police say that the cell members told them that one of their motivations was to avenge the coming executions of Amrozi, Mukhlas and Imam Samudra."

But Dr Fealey says he is confident the Indonesia forces have the situation under control.

"I think the quality of the monitoring and the ability to act against terrorist cells has improved dramatically in the last six years in Indonesia," he said.

"The Indonesian police are almost every month making new breakthroughs in their investigations;

"They're not only arresting people who are planning terrorist attacks, that are disseminating terrorist material, but they're also seizing explosives and detonators, and bomb making manuals and that kind of thing.

"And it's having an enormously disruptive effect upon those terrorist circles."

- AFP/ABC

Faith does weird things IMO....

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:11 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Will that put it to rest for some and the Aussies will start to slowly forget and come back to Bali?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Many have been returning for a long while now - will it ever 'put it to rest'? Probably not.

I think there will always be a lingering distrust of Indonesian muslims, but not of the Balinese Hindus who were seen as innocent victims also.

This distrust preceeded the bombings, but were made worse by the event. Should it be so? No, I don't think so, but just as in other Western countries, we have our fair share of bigots.

Should they be put to death? Personally I think no, let them rot for life in the squalid conditions they are now in - that is punishment, making 'martyrs' out of them will bring more sorrow.

Ross

OzBenz

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:23 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 SE View Post
Many have been returning for a long while now - will it ever 'put it to rest'? Probably not.

I think there will always be a lingering distrust of Indonesian muslims, but not of the Balinese Hindus who were seen as innocent victims also.

This distrust preceeded the bombings, but were made worse by the event. Should it be so? No, I don't think so, but just as in other Western countries, we have our fair share of bigots.

Should they be put to death? Personally I think no, let them rot for life in the squalid conditions they are now in - that is punishment, making 'martyrs' out of them will bring more sorrow.

You are wrong about the squalor, they are treated like heros' in the jail where they are at, get family vists constantly, have handphones and do what they want. I saw an interview with one of the 3 the other day on local TV, he was holding a child of about 3 yrs old, IN THE FUCKING YARD of the prison. He admitted on TV it was his child yet he has been locked up for alot longer than 4 yrs...........

Most long term expats like myself want to see these fellas meet their maker, yesterday........
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I am glad those reports are not shown here, there would be much baying for blood, particularly with the Bali 9 being portrayed in very squalid conditions...

It would further confirm the perception of corruption which Indonesia is accused of over here.

Ross

OzBenz

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
I am glad those reports are not shown here, there would be much baying for blood, particularly with the Bali 9 being portrayed in very squalid conditions...

It would further confirm the perception of corruption which Indonesia is accused of over here.

What rock have you been living under, corrupt as the day is long and then runs in to the night......
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
As I have personally avoided ever gracing the Republics shores, I was not about to make assertions about which I know not...

Ross

OzBenz

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:26 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
As I have personally avoided ever gracing the Republics shores, I was not about to make assertions about which I know not...

She's alright, if you ever decide to come over, let me know we'll get out for a drink or 2 and a good meal..............
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
slightly creased

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I may take you up on that, however, please remember as an Aussie, that would translate to a dozen or two drinks....

My wife just reminded me I have been to RoI - I went to Koepang for a weekend when I lived in Darwin - many years ago. She has been to Bali many times (before I knew her).

Ross

OzBenz

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 AM
~BANNED~

No problem, Dr. recently gave me the go ahead to drink again after being off so long.........

Kupang, wtf for? Jesus I was there probably 23 yrs ago on a project, jesus it was a little hole of a town.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in