post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toothless UN

cowards are nothing without Uncle Sam's involvement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Residents Flee as Congolese Rebels Approach Capital

By Stephanie McCrummen
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, October 28, 2008; 3:00 PM

KIGALI, Rwanda, Oct. 28 -- Congolese rebels fought their way closer to the provincial capital of Goma in eastern Congo on Tuesday as tens of thousands of villagers fled down muddy roads and an air of panic gripped the beleaguered city.

Congolese government soldiers -- better known for preying on civilians than protecting them -- were retreating from the front lines north of Goma, according to U.N. officials and others there.

The retreat of the Congolese army left the job of protecting Goma and its population of 600,000 to a United Nations peacekeeping force that has itself been in disarray, with its top military commander resigning Monday and mobs attacking its blue and white compound with rocks.

The peacekeepers, known as MONUC, were reinforcing positions north of Goma on Tuesday, sending attack helicopters to fire on rebels.

Doss said the peacekeepers are being hampered by rock-throwing Congolese, who say the U.N. force has failed to protect them through years of almost incessant fighting in the east.

Residents Flee as Congolese Rebels Approach Capital - washingtonpost.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think George Bush effectively destroyed the UN as a viable organization, along with the damage they have inflected on themselves via corruption. Let's hope whatever new government replaces Bush moves to replace the UN with a more effective international organization. I think it is a Cold War anachronism. We need something for the 21st Century.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
I think George Bush effectively destroyed the UN as a viable organization, along with the damage they have inflected on themselves via corruption. Let's hope whatever new government replaces Bush moves to replace the UN with a more effective international organization. I think it is a Cold War anachronism. We need something for the 21st Century.
United Nations is an oxymoron. The existence and effectiveness of the UN is based on the strength and dominance of the United States. This inability to manage one small African country is ample proof.
GWB had no role in destroying the UN except for simply walking away from the corrupt and spineless artifice. Why is it needed when we ARE the UN ?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Love the footage of kids throwing rocks at an armoried division.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, since I am a logician by trade, I feel it necessary to point out that the statements:

A= The existence and effectiveness of the UN is based on the strength and dominance of the United States.

B= GWB had no role in destroying the UN except for simply walking away from the corrupt and spineless artifice.

negate each other and would get you an F in any Aristotelian Logic course, while my conclusion would get me an A, as in A > B.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Well, since I am a logician by trade, I feel it necessary to point out that the statements:

A= The existence and effectiveness of the UN is based on the strength and dominance of the United States.

B= GWB had no role in destroying the UN except for simply walking away from the corrupt and spineless artifice.

negate each other and would get you an F in any Aristotelian Logic course, while my conclusion would get me an A, as in A > B.
What about linguistics ?
The devil is all in the details. Here is the answer from the back of the book.

From statement B, X had no role in Y except for C.
Therefore, X had a role in Y namely C.
As a result of statement A, X through C led to the final result which is the proposition of A.
(Extra exercise is to fill in X,Y,C with the specifics).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Despite the popularity of blaming all the world's ills on "Dubbya", the UN has been a relatively toothless, anti-American entity for roughly the 30+ years. Unless countries are will to give the UN, or whatever may succeed it, some real binding authority, nothing better will really replace it. IMHO, I doubt any country will cede some of its sovereignty to a world governing body.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in