Home valuations and the Bush legacy - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Home valuations and the Bush legacy

I've owned four homes in a dozen years, and this is the first time the county sent me a valuation report showing that they're assessing at a reduced market value. The house dropped 4% from their last assessment. This is clearly gonna have a devastating impact on local city and county property tax revenues--yikes! These are bleak times.

On a related note, my ex is selling our old home to a celebrity of sorts. The lady had several songs show up on a soundtrack from a hit movie in 2007. She's paying in cash. I gather that I'm probably the amongst the poorest members of the BWOT community, so I must admit that the concept of forking over $400k in cash boggles my mind. Because it's cash, the whole process from offer to closing may only take little more than a week.
Zeitgeist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
yoseyman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Location: 1313 Mockingbird lane
Posts: 9,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bitch, Bitch, Bitch. pay less property tax... bitch, paymore property tax, bitch. blame bush. christ what do you want?

yoseyman is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
barberhauler's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure I am poorer than you, but what is this "community" you speak of?
barberhauler is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
Location: Rochester,NH USA
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look on the bright side, all those years of paying over inflated taxes will finally start to even out.
livefreeordie is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Look on the bright side, all those years of paying over inflated taxes will finally start to even out.
I paid taxes that were commensurate with rising valuations, which of course meant that I was making a healthy ROI. That's no longer the case. Property taxes are the funding basis for fire, police and schools amongst other vital services. I don't see any bright side to this trend.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I've owned four homes in a dozen years, and this is the first time the county sent me a valuation report showing that they're assessing at a reduced market value. The house dropped 4% from their last assessment. This is clearly gonna have a devastating impact on local city and county property tax revenues--yikes! These are bleak times.

On a related note, my ex is selling our old home to a celebrity of sorts. The lady had several songs show up on a soundtrack from a hit movie in 2007. She's paying in cash. I gather that I'm probably the amongst the poorest members of the BWOT community, so I must admit that the concept of forking over $400k in cash boggles my mind. Because it's cash, the whole process from offer to closing may only take little more than a week.
I used to pay hotel bills that were like that
DP is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Location: Lancaster, Kentucky
Posts: 8,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know whats funny? that ASSHOLE gw is going to be evicted from his home of 8 years. Talk about poetic justice. And a Black man is going to CLASS the place up.
the clk man is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
Location: Rochester,NH USA
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I paid taxes that were commensurate with rising valuations, which of course meant that I was making a healthy ROI. That's no longer the case. Property taxes are the funding basis for fire, police and schools amongst other vital services. I don't see any bright side to this trend.
I'm not going to get into a debate over this but i think the tax rates and the home values are over inflated.
livefreeordie is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Location: Lancaster, Kentucky
Posts: 8,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
I'm not going to get into a debate over this but i think the tax rates and the home values are over inflated.
Agreed sir.
the clk man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Bush Legacy: Part...The books continue mcbear Off-Topic 4 08-05-2008 05:17 AM
    Bush Legacy: part... mcbear Off-Topic 2 08-04-2008 03:41 PM
    The Bush Legacy FeelTheLove Off-Topic 3 07-25-2008 08:00 PM
    The Bush legacy according to Scott McClellan GeeS Off-Topic 109 06-20-2008 03:43 PM
    Bush Legacy?? mcbear Off-Topic 26 11-09-2006 02:34 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome