Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
John McCain - Modern Day Benedict Arnold

Interesting reading, even if it is just out of the blogosphere. Lots of links to follow in the original.

NYC Consigliere's Corner

Politics First at a time of National Crisis

John McCain like Benedict Arnold started out as an American Patriot. The legend of Benedict Arnold is one of a man who valiantly protected his countrymen against the British during that glorious cause of American Independence called the American Revolution before entering into a scheme for personal enrichment to turn over West Point to the British. Thomas Sowell in referring to McCain's Straight Lies stated:

"Let's talk sense. Benedict Arnold was a war hero but that did not exempt him from condemnation for his later betrayal..... Being a war hero is not a lifetime get-out-of-jail-free card. And becoming President of the United States is not a matter of rewarding an individual for past services.....The passing years and a friendly media have allowed Senator McCain's shortcomings in the character and integrity department to fade into the background."

McCain's credentials as a bona fide pathological liar have been well established in this election cycle, so much so that even mainstream media voices have ridiculed him for the campaign's lack of sincerity, deceptiveness and attempted manipulation of the electorate. But it is McCain's political opportunism combined with his pathological lying, at a time of national crisis, with many American institutions and individuals facing perilous and uncertain times, that is the essence of what takes McCain from a mere political pinocchio to making him a traitor to his country. John McCain uses his military credentials and his carefully crafted reputation as a war hero to shield his true agenda, advance his personal ambition, even when it is to the detriment of his countrymen. One gets the sense that the angry warrior and his kin feel a sense of entitlement to the Presidency, perhaps as a just reward for his service. As stated by McCain Bimbette: "No one knows what war is like other than my family, period." With all due respect Meghan McCain, there are some things far more important than putting a 72 year old man with a history of erractic behavior, cancer, physical and mental illness into the White House. He should be at home in Sedona under your family's supervision.

In America, Democracy and our democratic process comes first. Politicians are mere role players in that process. Last week on the eve of The First Presidential Debate, McCain's poll numbers were sliding largely because of his erractic behavior and continued misstatements about the economy. It appeared perhaps that McCain's fundamental misunderstanding of economic policy had been noticed and picked up on by nervous Americans in many battleground states. So, what does McCain do? On the eve of a deal being brokered by serious, earnest leaders in DC on a Bailout Plan for our nation's financial system, McCain, after stating at the beginning of the week that the economy was fundamentally sound, "suspended" his campaign, even while continuing to campaign, unilaterally attempted to cancel the debate, and descended on DC for a photo op at the White House at the center of the financial crisis. McCain who had not been involved to date in the entire process, and who has looked like a deer in the headlights when speaking about the economy, was a disruptive and destabilizing force, injecting Presidential politics, and making himself an unnecessary distraction, in an complex process at the latest hour, in effect killing the deal. McCain with the assistance of House Republicans is using our nation's financial crisis as a means to re-position his campaign and the fortunes of his party in the coming election. His efforts were appropriately ridiculed by many on both sides of the aisle, including Barney Frank who stated: "McCain is Andy Kaufman in his Mighty Mouse costume - 'Here I Come to Save the Day'"

As stated by John Kerry on Fox News:

"Barack Obama was in constant touch with Secretary Paulson almost every single day, sometimes several times a day for the last two weeks. Barack Obama was the first person to speak and lay out at that meeting at the White House for about seven or eight minutes the entire parameters of what we had resolved. John McCain, when offered the opportunity to speak, passed, didn't speak until the very end, and when he spoke, did not offer a solution and did not say what he would support. The fact is that on a Monday of about a week ago, John McCain said the fundamentals of our economy are strong. Within a few days, John McCain was suspending his campaign because of the greatest crisis since World War II. He suspended his campaign and it took him 22 hours to get from New York to Washington, a one-hour flight, had time to go do Katie Couric in an interview, had time to give a speech to the Clinton millennium, and when he got here, he wound up -- I mean, he said he was going to interrupt his campaign to come down and save the negotiations. Most people believe what he did was interrupt the negotiations to come down and save his campaign."

As stated by Paul Krugman in an Op-Ed in the New York Times:

"Remember, his chief mentor on economics is Phil Gramm, the arch-deregulator, who took special care in his Senate days to prevent oversight of financial derivatives — the very instruments that sank Lehman and A.I.G., and brought the credit markets to the edge of collapse. Mr. Gramm hasn’t had an official role in the McCain campaign since he pronounced America a “nation of whiners,” but he’s still considered a likely choice as Treasury secretary....The real revelation of the last few weeks, however, has been just how erratic Mr. McCain’s views on economics are. At any given moment, he seems to have very strong opinions — but a few days later, he goes off in a completely different direction........Thus on Sept. 15 he declared — for at least the 18th time this year — that “the fundamentals of our economy are strong.” This was the day after Lehman failed and Merrill Lynch was taken over, and the financial crisis entered a new, even more dangerous stage."

John McCain, through backroom maneuvering with certain rank and file congressional republicans, saw an opportunity to put Politics First, Not Country First, Not the American People First, Not the Democratic Process First. In the ultimate act of brinksmanship, McCain injected Presidential Politics into the process at the last hour and destabilized negotiations for the sake of saving candidate McCain's Presidential Campaign. If one more bank should go under, one more American lose their job, one more community crumble the finger should be pointed directly and squarely on AMERICA'S NEW BENEDICT ARNOLD: JOHN MCCAIN. Let me be clear, John McCain destabilized fragile bipartisan negotiations on the economic crisis, in our nation's capitol approximately 43 days out from the election because to do so might save his presidential campaign. This was McCain's September Surprise. According to Sam Stein at the Huffington Post, Republican strategist, Ed Rollins conceded, that John McCain handled his role in the bailout process poorly and would ultimately be hurt politically by the failure of the House of Representatives to pass the measure. Quoting Mr. Rollins: "I think the reality is, he made a big show coming in and at the end of the day it really wasn't realistic for him."

John McCain is a Benedict Arnold for double crossing the American people, attempting to undermine the stability of the nation's economy for the sake of preserving and elevating his own political fortunes. This is not an act of courage. It is act of cowardice, treason and conduct unbecoming an American Citizen, much less the leader of the free world. It is the most UN-Presidential, UN-Statesman like of acts. McCain should have stood down, stepped aside and for the sake of his country allowed the serious people who were involved with this process all along, complete their work.

I wish that could say, John McCain just does not get it. But he does and the Neoconservative machine behind his campaign knows precisely what they are doing. Americans should expect more dirty tricks at every step between now and November 4th.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Lots of questions on his running mate, too:

Alaskan Independence Party: The Last Refuge of a Scoundrel
By Robert F. Kennedy, jr.
Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

2004, America's malleable mainstream media allowed itself to be manipulated by artful Republican operatives into devoting weeks of broadcast attention and drums of ink to unfairly desecrating John Kerry's genuine Vietnam heroics while obligingly muzzling serious discussion of George W. Bush's shameful wartime record of evasion and cowardice.

Last week found the American media once again boarding Republican swift boats against this season's Democratic candidate armed with unfair and hypocritical attacks artfully designed by GOP strategists to distract attention from the cataclysmic outcomes of Republican governance. Vice Presidential hopeful Sarah Palin has taken to faulting Senator Barack Obama for his casual acquaintance with a respected Illinois educator Bill Ayers, who forty years ago was a member of the Weathermen, a movement active when Obama was eight and which he has denounced as "detestable." Palin argues that the relationship proves that Obama sees "America as being so imperfect that he is palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

The Times dedicated a page one article to Obama's relations with Ayers and CNN's Anderson Cooper obliged Palin by rewarding her reckless accusations about Obama's patriotism with a major investigative report. Fox, meanwhile, is still riveting its audience with wall to wall coverage of this pressing irrelevancy.

But if McCarthy-era guilt-by-association is once again a valid political consideration, Palin, it would seem, has more to lose than Obama. Palin, it could be argued, following her own logic, thinks so little of America's perfection that she continues to "pal around" with a man--her husband, actually--who only recently terminated his seven-year membership in the Alaskan Independence Party. Putting plunder above patriotism, the members of this treasonous cabal aim to break our country into pieces and walk away with Alaska's rich federal oil fields and one-fifth of America's land base--an area three-fourths the size of the Civil War Confederacy.

AIP's charter commits the party "to the ultimate independence of Alaska," from the United States which it refers to as "the colonial bureaucracy in Washington." It proclaims Alaska's 1959 induction as a state "as illegal and in violation of the United Nations charter and international law."

AIP's creation was inspired by the rabidly violent anti-Americanism of its founding father Joe Vogler, "I'm an Alaskan, not an American," reads a favorite Vogler quote on AIP's current website, "I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." According to Vogler AIP's central purpose was to drive Alaska's secession from the United States. Alaska, says current Chairwoman Lynette Clark, "should be an independent nation."

Vogler was murdered in 1993 during an illegal sale of plastic explosives that went bad. The prior year, he had renounced his allegiance to the United States explaining that, "The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government." He cursed the stars and stripes, promising, "I won't be buried under their damned flag...when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home." Palin has never denounced Vogler or his detestable anti-Americanism.

Palin's husband Todd remained an AIP party member from 1995 to 2002. Sarah can be described in McCarthy-era palaver as a "fellow traveler." While retaining her Republican registration, she attended the AIP's 1994 convention where the party called for a draft constitution to secede from the United States and create an independent nation of Alaska. The McCain Campaign has reluctantly acknowledged that she also attended AIP's 2000 Convention. She apparently found the experience so inspiring that she agreed to give a keynote address at the AIP's 2006 convention and she recorded a video greeting for this year's 2008 convention. In other words, this is not something that happened when she was eight!

So when Palin accuses Barack of "not seeing the same America as you and me," maybe she is referring to an America without Alaska. In any case, isn't it time the media start giving equal time to Palin's buddy list of anti-American bombers and other radical associates?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The Lord God Almighty could not make this decision any easier for people.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Here, guys...this is God talking to us, making your decision easier.

If there’s anyone else left out there who doesn’t believe that Sarah Palin can look you in the eye and tell you black is white, I have a present for you. Here is the transcript of a five minute conference call with Sarah Palin, Meg Stapleton, the Anchorage Daily News, and local TV stations KTVA, and KTUU. The journalists got one question each with no follow up.

I’ve been struggling to find the right terminology for this. She has jumped the shark. She has landed on Fantasy Island. She has slipped through the looking glass. She’s Queen of Denial. She has become the Head of Orwell’s Ministry of Truth… choose whichever metaphor works for you.

Here is the transcript of Palin’s interview by these journalists, after the Branchflower Report on the Troopergate investigation was released, stating that she had abused her power as governor. As a matter of fact, let’s review Finding Number One as it is written:
“For the reasons explained in section IV of the report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.11(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

“The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.”
The second thing we should review before joining Sarah Through the Looking Glass, is that the Legislative Council, made up of TEN Republicans and FOUR Democrats voted unanimously to begin the investigation, and unanimously to release the results of the investigation. Ten Republicans, four democrats. Remember that, because it comes up later.

Alright. So here is the transcript. The emphasis is mine, and used on those passages that defy reality, and/or leave me speechless.
Palin: Hey, thank you so, Meg. Thank you so much. Thank you also to our local reporters up there in Alaska. Even hearing your names make me feel like I’m right there with you at home. It’s good to get to speak with you. Let me talk a little bit about the Tasergate issue if you guys would let me and, Meg, you want me to just jump right on in there?

Stapleton: Sure governor, go ahead.

Palin: OK cool.

Well, I’m very very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing … any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that. Todd did what anyone would have done given this state trooper’s very, very troubling behavior and his dangerous threats against our family. Todd did what I think any Alaskan would do.

And he, Todd did what the state’s Department of Law Web site tells anyone to do if they have a concern about a state trooper. And that’s you go to the commissioner and you express your concern. And Todd did what our personal detail asked him to do. Bob Cockrell early on as I was elected and was asked are there any threats against ya, and Todd brought the concern as I did to Commissioner Monegan about the state trooper’s threats. He did what any – I think — any rational person would do so again, nothing to apologize there with Todd’s actions and again very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing.

(Stapleton invites the first question).

ADN: Governor, finding No.1 on the report was that you abused your power by violating state law. Do you think you did anything wrong at all in this Troopergate case?

Palin: Not at all and I’ll tell you, it, I think that you’re always going to ruffle feathers as you do what you believe is in the best interest of the people whom you are serving. In this case I knew that I had to have the right people in the right position at the right time in this cabinet to best serve Alaskans, and Walt Monegan was not the right person at the right time to meet the goals that we had set out in our administration. So no, not having done anything wrong, and again very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all.

ADN: Have you read the whole report? (No response; Stapleton invites question from KTVA reporter).

KTVA-Channel 11: … The report that came out yesterday, do you think that the end result is partisan?

Palin: Yeah, I did think it did turn into a partisan circus to tell you the truth. Yes I did. You know from Day One it’s been the Personnel Board that clearly laid out in state statute there — Personnel Board deals with any issue of question regarding a governor, a lieutenant governor or an attorney general in the state of Alaska. What this legislative investigation — quote unquote — turned into was a political circus.

KTUU-Channel 2: Governor, so good to hear from you. Do you approve of the way that your campaign has handled themselves here in Alaska? We’ve had a lot of people voice concerns about what they call attacks of good people in our state while you are away.

Palin: Well I haven’t heard of any attacks on good people in Alaska from our campaign. If you have specifics there, maybe I could answer specifically. But no, in John McCain’s mission here, in taking the high road, as you’re going to see too with a lot of unfair shots he has taken in this campaign with some of his opponents’ supporters, McCain and I taking the high road, being positive. I wouldn’t support nor would I condone taking shots at any good Alaskans.

KTUU-Channel 2: Let me answer your question since you asked for specifics.

Palin: Sure.

KTUU-Channel 2: Walt Monegan was called “rogue.” How do you feel about that?

Palin: Rogue isn’t a negative term when you consider that in a cabinet you need a team effort going forward with a governor’s agenda. And our agenda has been to find efficiencies in every department and make sure that we are serving the people of Alaska to the best of our ability given the resources that we have. And remember I fought very hard to increase funding for state troopers so that we could fill positions there and goals not being met that included not being able to recruit and retain all the state troopers that I wanted to best serve Alaska. That could be characterized I think as a cabinet member who – it’s not a negative term I think — being rogue in terms of not meeting those goals.
Just for fun, let’s check out the definition of “rogue.” *clears throat*

Rogue. Adjective.

Vicious and solitary. Used of an animal, especially an elephant.
Large, destructive, and anomalous or unpredictable: a rogue wave; a rogue tornado.
Operating outside normal or desirable controls: “How could a single rogue trader bring down an otherwise profitable and well-regarded institution?”
He’s a vicious, solitary elephant who doesn’t meet his goals…in a GOOD way.

So let’s recap. The report states she has abused her power as governor, and she’s really glad she’s done nothing wrong. Todd did what any “Alaskan” would do. She thinks the mostly Republican legislative council has turned into a partisan circus, but she hasn’t heard anything about attacks on anyone in Alaska from her campaign. The McCain campaign is taking the high road and being positive. And being a rogue cop isn’t a bad thing. Any questions?

If you want to read Lisa Demer’s full account, and hear the interview in the Governor’s own voice: CLICK HERE. That way you can just, you know, hear her talkin’ to the people, and bein’ what she is, also, and gettin’ her statement out there and rufflin’ feathers so as to serve the people of Alaska there also.

This must be the sound it makes when a house of cards collapses.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: