Republican Politicians backing away from angry McCain/Palin campaign - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Trig & Track agree.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
^ Trig & Track agree.
Calc and Field are not so sure.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixracing View Post
Televsion revolves around liberal propaganda. If you want conservative propaganda you have to go to church.
separation of church and state - the cornerstone of the development of modern western civilization - crumbles yet again as the 'Greatest Nation on Earth' takes yet another backward step following the wake of adherence to imperial system (as opposed to metric) and creationism.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Pure class.

Does this mean you are going to vote Obama/Biden?
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That is the most brutal joke about a politician I've ever seen. Wow.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry, or just plain nuts?

"I'm scared, Bill!"

Cunningham invoked "[s]ix-six-six" and "the beast" in discussing "Barack Hussein Obama"

Media Matters

Summary: Stating that 666,000 new voters have registered in Ohio, Bill Cunningham said on October 10: "Six, six, six. The mark of the beast. The great majority, of course, are registered by ACORN. ... Who conducted ACORN seminars to tell ACORN employees and others how to cheat the system? Barack Hussein Obama. I may declare him to be the beast. Six, six, six. It could be the end of all days." On the October 13 edition of Cunningham's show, a caller said of Obama, "He may be the Antichrist."

In recent days, Cincinnati-based talk radio host Bill Cunningham has repeatedly invoked the biblical prophecy of "the Beast" in reference to Sen. Barack Obama. On the October 10 broadcast of The Big Show with Bill Cunningham, Cunningham said, "[A]round Ohio, the number [of newly registered voters] is 666,000. Six-six-six. The mark of the beast. The great majority, of course, are registered by ACORN. [...] Who conducted ACORN seminars to tell ACORN employees and others how to cheat the system? Barack Hussein Obama. I may declare him to be the beast. Six, six, six. It could be the end of all days." Then, on the October 13 broadcast, Cunningham responded to a caller's assertion that Obama "may be the Antichrist" by asking, "Well, six -- you know how many -- how many new registered voters there are in the state of Ohio?" After the caller answered, "666,000," Cunningham stated: "Six-six-six." Later, Cunningham added: "Six-six-six. And then when people like you and I, Roger, say to [Sen. John] McCain, 'You know what, president' -- I'm sorry -- 'Senator McCain, we're scared,' he says, 'Don't be scared.' " As described in the Bible's Book of Revelation, 666 is the number of "the Beast," or the Antichrist, whose appearance portends the second coming of Christ and Armageddon in the Christian tradition.

According to an October 8 Associated Press report, "Roughly 666,000 new voters have registered in Ohio since the start of 2008," but on its website, ACORN reports that it registered 247,335 new voters -- not a "great majority," as Cunningham claimed.

As Media Matters for America has noted, conservative hosts like Brian Sussman at San Francisco radio station KSFO and Chris Baker of Minneapolis station KTLK have also made references to Obama as the Antichrist.

From the October 10 broadcast of Clear Channel's The Big Show with Bill Cunningham:

CUNNINGHAM: And around Ohio, the number [of newly registered voters] is 666,000. Six-six-six. The mark of the beast. The great majority, of course, are registered by ACORN. The mark of the beast. And who is the beast? Who gave ACORN $800,000 as part of this criminal conspiracy? Who was the lawyer for ACORN? Who conducted ACORN seminars to tell ACORN employees and others how to cheat the system? Barack Hussein Obama. I may declare him to be the beast. Six-six-six. It could be the end of all days.

From the October 13 broadcast of The Big Show with Bill Cunningham:

CALLER: I have gotten phone calls from people that asked -- I debate on the phone with them and argue with them. They have called me. A woman called me from Buffalo, Ohio, and she's going through the phone book picking out names, and she says, "Would you be interested in working a couple hours every night making phone calls?" And I said, "Who for?" And she goes, "Obama."

CUNNINGHAM: Oh, my.

CALLER: And she -- I end up debating with her, and she's acting like he's the next Camelot.

CUNNINGHAM: Well, according to Louis Farrakhan, his buddy, I have the clip in which Minister Louis Farrakhan has declared Obama is the messiah, that Obama is the son of God.

CALLER: And that's the other thing I wanted to say to you. He claims to be a Christian, and anybody who would let those schoolkids say he's gonna change the world and he's the alpha, the omega -- I'm scared.

CUNNINGHAM: I mean, can you imagine if Ronald Reagan had schoolchildren shouting the name of Reagan, that he had ministers declaring that Ronald Reagan is the messiah? How big of a story would that be?

CALLER: He may be the Antichrist.

CUNNINGHAM: Well, six -- you know how many -- how many new registered voters there are in the state of Ohio?

CALLER: 666,000.

CUNNINGHAM: Six-six-six.

CALLER: It's scary, Bill. I'm scared.

CUNNINGHAM: Six-six-six. And then, when people like you and I, Roger, say to McCain, "You know what, president" -- I'm sorry -- "Senator McCain, we're scared." He says, "Don't be scared. He'll do a good job as the president. He's fine, he's a good man."

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
You don't hang around FARK enough.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post

QBN, Maybe this is more your speed..........

Sarah Palin......Vote for me
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Report from Palin rally
Newspaper stories from Palin's rally from myself and Joe Killian.

Charlotte News and Record
"Report from Palin rally" : Capital Beat : Blogs : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

There are certain things that get me really concerned when I hear them from someone I'm working with. Joe Killian (who blogs for the paper here and on his own time here) added a new one to my list:

Joe was working with me on a package for tomorrow's newspaper covering Gov. Sarah Palin's visit to Elon and Greensboro.

"Dude," he says when I called to check on him. "Some guy just kicked me in the back of the leg."

Let me just digress for a second. I sometimes supervise people. Much more often, I work in teams with folks. I'm usually the old fart in the group so I feel responsible for them. The last thing I ever want to hear is that one of my people got hurt on assignment. Usually the worry has to do with covering a traffic accident along a highway or a natural disaster like a flood, where conditions are inherently dangerous.

What I don't expect is for some troglodyte at a campaign rally to decide that the proper way to express his frustration with Democrats, Barack Obama or the "left-wing liberal media" is to commit assault on a colleague.

Here's the back-story:

I walked in sensing the crowd had a more positive vibe than the McCain rally.

That changed when I heard a ruckus behind me. A couple folks there for the rally called campaign staff over, complaining about people several rows back chanting "Obama" when the rest of the crowd cheered at Palin's applause lines. Obnoxious? Yes. But I dig me some First Amendment.

The campaign staff dutifully fetched a couple of police officers who dutifully threw the handful of individuals out. I watched just to make sure ruckus didn't develop into something more. That apparently gave other McCain-Palin supporters license to yell at me.

"Hey! Hey you! The story's up there," yelled one point at the stage. "You don't need to worry about that. The story is up there."

The presence of a barricade, the more pressing need of gathering a story and, well, that whole First Amendment thing just led me to ignore them. They can pop off if they like.

Joe was near a second group of protestors who got tossed. And he got some push back for investigating as well. After the rally wound down, he went to find some Obama folks and see if he could talk to who got put out.

That's when at least one guy from the crowd decided he needed to interject his opinion into the conversation. As Joe tells it:

I sidled up to one of the Obama supporters and asked why they were there, what they were trying to accomplish.
As he was telling me a large, bearded man in full McCain-Palin campaign regalia got in his face to yell at him.

"Hey, hey, " I said. "I'm trying to interview him. Just a minute, okay? "

The man began to say something about how of course I was interviewing the Obama people when suddenly, from behind us, the sound of a pro-Obama rap song came blaring out of the windows of a dorm building. We all turned our heads to see Obama signs in the windows.

This was met with curses, screams and chants of "U.S.A" by McCain-Palin folks who crowded under the windows trying to drown it out and yell at the person playing the stereo.

It was a moment of levity in an otherwise very tense situation and so I let out a gentle chuckle and shook my head.

"Oh, you think that 's funny?! " the large bearded man said. His face was turning red. "Yeah, that 's real funny…" he said.

And then he kicked the back of leg, buckling my right knee and sending me sprawling onto the ground.

There was no cop or security officer around to report this lugnut to, and Joe resisted the temptation to smack the guy back, which I commend. But let me say this: the guy who attacked Joe is a criminal, no better that the lunk-head who steals your car stereo or snatches a purse.

Do I hold the McCain campaign responsible? Not entirely. No one on their staff said, "Hey, after the event, go smack around a reporter."

Although, I will say that complaints about "the media," "mainstream media," "Eastern media elite," etc... have become a pervasive in Republican talking points, increasingly so as we get closer to the election. I've heard the complaints from folks like U.S. Sen. Richard Burr and certainly both Palin and McCain have used those phrases in their speeches. Then, there are the opening lines of Hank Williams Jr.'s campaign theme song for McCain-Palin: "The leftwing liberal media have always been a real close-knit family, but most of the American people, don't believe them anyway you see."

Fair enough. We're big boys and girls who put ourselves out there and part of the job is tacking flak from both sides. Certainly I have heard complaints from Democrats about "the media" and have been accused of being too conservative. But I have never had the sense that a Democrat was going to get physical in that kind of way. Even though McCain and Palin have taken a kinder gentler tone in their speeches, there was still a real undercurrent of anger at the rallies I covered this week.

After today I'm wondering - and this is just wondering at this point - whether Republicans aren't in some respect giving their supporters license for this sort of crap. If the story you peddle is that your guys are the good guys and all those who stand against them are the bad guys, and the "liberal media" is in that second column, might there be a message there – even if it is one that is misconstrued and carried to a stupid extreme in some cases?

Full disclosure: I'm not real happy with the McCain campaign today. After the Elon event Palin did a fundraiser and I was told the local pool would be able to cover that. It's a major reason I took the pool assignment. I was told mid-way through my day that the fundraiser would be closed. And I just found out that the campaign tossed a one-on-one to an out-of-town competitor rather than to the paper that staffed their pool today.

But that's peanuts, mere whining, an issue of protocol. This other thing with Joe reflects something far more troubling. I just hope it's not a trend.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2005 SL 55 "k" 26K 1967 250 SL ?K 1984 500 SEC 242K http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercebman/
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
In our area it is hard to find an Obama/Biden sign left. No one wants MC scratched on their car or their house spray painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in