post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Maybe, but not for that kind of money. The pot would have to be a lot sweeter for me to be traipsing around in a war zone. I know of more than one individual, second hand, who went to the middle east as citizens to do work and get rich quick; never came back.
The money is nice, the adventure is nice, but locale is everything. Once you have kids, you no longer have the right to endanger your life recklessly. If it's Iraq, I think you have to stay home, if it's someplace considerably less volatile, it may be worth thinking about.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Take it from a globe trotter DO NOT DO IT. If you care for your kids and wife then stay where you are.

The night before I was to take a job in the Far East, my best friend told me DO NOT DO IT and I laughed (after all I've been travelling the globe for years). I said it's only a job and I'll be back in 12 months

He said, if you make this trip you will end up divorced and loose your kids and again I laughed. I have two girls and two boys (now grown up and living their own lives).

To cut along story short, I did end up divorced and have not seen my children in 14 years.

I do talk to them over the internet but its not the same and my youngest daughter now has a child

Money is not everything, but family is

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Take it from a globe trotter DO NOT DO IT. If you care for your kids and wife then stay where you are.

The night before I was to take a job in the Far East, my best friend told me DO NOT DO IT and I laughed (after all I've been travelling the globe for years). I said it's only a job and I'll be back in 12 months

He said, if you make this trip you will end up divorced and loose your kids and again I laughed. I have two girls and two boys (now grown up and living their own lives).

To cut along story short, I did end up divorced and have not seen my children in 14 years.

I do talk to them over the internet but its not the same and my youngest daughter now has a child

Money is not everything, but family is

Take makes you a grandpa! you old fart
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Take makes you a grandpa! you old fart
YUP

PS; I am the geeko behind the painting, still looking for the wisdom bit

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
YUP

PS; I am the geeko behind the painting, still looking for the wisdom bit
I can say that because of my two beautiful G babies.

I think you have plenty of wisdom
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
(Thread Starter)
The way it looks right now it will definitely be Iraq. Best case scenario would be Kuwait border. Still a tough decision. I am former Military. I have gone through the training required to defend myself. It is not like I would be on the front lines, but in a war with cowards using IED's and hail mary motors the front line is more like a front page.
Getting kidnapped and held hostage is not even on the radar. If I do go I will have a nice personal defense weapon. At this time I know 5 soldiers serving in country right now, 3 more deploying in Feb. It should not be difficult to obtain a weapon. Hopefully a mp5 or something similar. I will go down shooting if it would come to that.
When my wife and I were dating for about 2 years I was in Texas, Colorado, and Delaware. Granted we did not have children at the time but I am not worried about getting divorced. My wife knows the true meaning of "Till death do us part".
My children growing up without me being here would be difficult, but the money will benefit their education and help secure there future. Managing the business will be difficult for my partner because he will have to take on my 70% of the business, customers he has never met, Projects he was never on ect... I will not be deciding this in the next week or so but I will keep you posted on my decision.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
my father worked all over the world, one of his defining criteria was that the family could go with him, if not - no posting....

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
The way it looks right now it will definitely be Iraq. Best case scenario would be Kuwait border. Still a tough decision. I am former Military. I have gone through the training required to defend myself. It is not like I would be on the front lines, but in a war with cowards using IED's and hail mary motors the front line is more like a front page.
Getting kidnapped and held hostage is not even on the radar. If I do go I will have a nice personal defense weapon. At this time I know 5 soldiers serving in country right now, 3 more deploying in Feb. It should not be difficult to obtain a weapon. Hopefully a mp5 or something similar. I will go down shooting if it would come to that.
When my wife and I were dating for about 2 years I was in Texas, Colorado, and Delaware. Granted we did not have children at the time but I am not worried about getting divorced. My wife knows the true meaning of "Till death do us part".
My children growing up without me being here would be difficult, but the money will benefit their education and help secure there future. Managing the business will be difficult for my partner because he will have to take on my 70% of the business, customers he has never met, Projects he was never on ect... I will not be deciding this in the next week or so but I will keep you posted on my decision.

Not enough money to go to Iraq or even the Kuwaiti border, nego more or stay home.......
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
I remember here in San Diego they were offering something similar to civilian workers. The start salary was $100,000 for common jobs outside the greens zone. I don't have a family out here and decided it would not be worth the money. You seem to be doing a lot better then others, so aggressive financial planning would put you up the difference in 3 years with your current pay.

Plus imagine what the view would look like on a sunny day with your kids playing, breakfast on the table and your stress levels are below average. You live for your family now, so in a sense your putting them at risk. That is a 50/50 chance that doesn't seem to be good odds in my book. Also no matter what money they would receive if you (GOD FORBID) would pass in your 12 month term, that money would dissipate fast. Remember our current financial market.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.

Last edited by slybydesign; 10-05-2008 at 03:33 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Quote:
..My children growing up without me being here would be difficult, but the money will benefit their education and help secure there future...
Such a nice dad you are...sacrificing for others is such a noble act indeed..

Quote:
...I will not be deciding this in the next week or so but I will keep you posted on my decision.
Whatever it is, I hope it will be the right one...good luck

2010 B200, Polar Silver, Premium Pkg
2008 ML350, Obsidian Black, Premium Pkg
2008 C300, Calcite White
2007 C230, 040 Black, Premium Pkg (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in