VP DEBATE MODERATOR RELEASING 'AGE OF OBAMA' BOOK ON INAUGURATION DAY - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Should someone w/ an obvious "horse in the race" be allowed to moderate the forum?
NO! 13 72.22%
YES! 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From the scary new thread...

My thoughts on the first question for the VP debate.

"Governor, do you agree that the Office of the President should start spending a Trillion taxpayers dollars without oversight from Congress while Congress is working on a bailout plan that specifically addresses the complex issues?"

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #93 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Did you vote yet?

Who won the VP debate?
No. I have no idea who will "win." Depending on what time the debate is I may not even be able to watch it. Debates are a lot like polls at this point. I don't think they mean much. Until mid- to late-October the truly undecideds aren't even paying attention. At this point its mostly grist for the blogs.

Don't believe everything you think
post #94 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
No. I have no idea who will "win." Depending on what time the debate is I may not even be able to watch it. Debates are a lot like polls at this point. I don't think they mean much. Until mid- to late-October the truly undecideds aren't even paying attention. At this point its mostly grist for the blogs.
Dude, you are up past midnight every night. It won't be past your bedtime.

Though I can see why you might want to miss it.

I most likely will be the designated driver for the Debate Drinking Game.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #95 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You should care, because all this Jayhawk swiftboat chatter is designed to encourage Ms. Ifill to take it easy on poor little Sarah. I do hope they find an alternate moderator.
I wouldn't be surprised to wake up tomorrow (today) and learn that she is out. I'm guessing she's taking a lot of heat this evening from many people to drop out, and if she doesn't of her own volition, the Commission may just do it for her.

post #96 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Dude, you are up past midnight every night. It won't be past your bedtime.

Though I can see why you might want to miss it.

I most likely will be the designated driver for the Debate Drinking Game.
I will be having a great steak at the Jayhawker tomorrow evening between 7 and 9 pm. It's a sportsbar, so they probably won't even know about the debate. I may Tivo it... If I remember.

post #97 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimizingLemming
...Debates are a lot like polls at this point. I don't think they mean much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoilHatLemming
Unless my candidate 'wins' a debate according to Drudge or the poll supports my view for that day or maybe even what I thought last June or what the radio beams tell me I should believe next week.....

post #98 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I will be having a great steak at the Jayhawker tomorrow evening between 7 and 9 pm. It's a sportsbar, so they probably won't even know about the debate. I may Tivo it... If I remember.
Should there be a drinking game started at the bar, tomorrow I will post up the rules. I found SIX versions and they need cleaned up prior to posting.

It's too late tonight.

Enjoy the steak

McBear,
Kentucky

post #99 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S420 Midnight Blue 113,000
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Biden-Palin

Biden Secret Service Code Name: 'Assassination Insurance'
by Ann Coulter (more by this author)
Posted 10/01/2008 ET
Updated 10/01/2008 ET

While Gov. Sarah Palin is being grilled on her position on mark-to-market accounting rules, the press can't bother to ask Joe Biden if he could give us a ballpark estimate on when Franklin D. Roosevelt was president -- or maybe take a stab at guessing the decade when televisions were first available to the public.

Being interviewed by Katie Couric on the "CBS Evening News," Biden said: "When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

For those of you who aren't hard-core history buffs, Biden not only named the wrong president during the 1929 stock market crash, he also claimed a president who wasn't president during the stock market crash went on TV before Americans had TVs.

Other than that, the statement holds up pretty well. At least Biden managed to avoid mentioning any "clean" Negroes he had met.

Couric was nearly moved to tears by the brilliance of Biden's brain-damaged remark. She was especially intrigued by Biden's claim that FDR had said the new iPhone was the bomb!

Here is Couric's full response to Biden's bizarre outburst about FDR (a) being president and (b) going on TV in 1929: "Relating to the fears of the average American is one of Biden's strong suits."

But when our beauteous Sarah said that John McCain was a better leader on the economy than Barack Obama, Couric relentlessly badgered her for evidence. "Why do you say that?" Couric demanded. "Why are they waiting for John McCain and not Barack Obama? ... Can you give us any more examples of his leading the charge for more oversight?"

The beauteous Sarah had cited McCain's prescient warnings about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. But Couric, the crackerjack journalist who didn't know FDR wasn't president in 1929, demanded more examples from Palin.

We are currently in the middle of a massive financial crisis brought on by Fannie Mae. McCain was right on Fannie Mae; Obama was wrong. That's not enough?

Not for the affable Eva Braun of evening TV! "I'm just going to ask you one more time," Couric snipped, "not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?"

This would be like responding to someone who predicted the 9/11 attacks by saying: OK, you got one thing right. Not to belabor the point, but what else?

Obama was not merely wrong on Fannie Mae: He is owned by Fannie Mae. Somehow Obama managed to become the second biggest all-time recipient of Fannie Mae political money after only three years in the Senate. The biggest beneficiary, Democratic Sen. Chris Dodd, had a 30-year head start on receiving loot from Fannie Mae -- the government-backed institution behind our current crisis.

How does the Democratic ticket stack up on other major issues facing the nation, say, gas prices?

Shockingly, Sen. Joe Biden was one of only five senators to vote against the first Alaskan pipeline bill in 1973. This is like having been a Nazi sympathizer during World War II. If Sarah Palin does nothing else, she has got to tie that idiotic pipeline vote around Biden's neck.

The Senate passed the 1973 Alaskan pipeline bill by an overwhelming 80-5 vote. Only five senators voted against the pipeline on final passage. Sen. Biden is the only one who is still in the Senate -- the other four having been confined to mental institutions long ago.

The stakes were clear: This was in the midst of the first Arab oil embargo. Liberal Democrats, such as senators Robert Byrd, Mike Mansfield, Frank Church and Hubert Humphrey, all voted for the pipeline.

But Biden cast one of only five votes against the pipeline that has produced more than 15 billion barrels of oil, supplied nearly 20 percent of this nation's oil, created tens of thousands of jobs, added hundreds of billions of dollars to the U.S. economy and reduced money transfers to the nation's enemies by about the same amount.

The only argument against the pipeline was that it would harm the caribou, an argument that was both trivial and wrong. The caribou population near the pipeline increased from 5,000 in the 1970s to 32,000 by 2002.

It would have been bad enough to vote against the pipeline bill even if it had hurt the caribou. A sane person would still say: Our enemies have us in a vice grip. Sorry, caribou, you've got to take one for the team. But when the pipeline goes through and the caribou population sextuples in the next 20 years, you really look like a moron.

We couldn't possibly expect Couric to ask Biden about a vote that is the equivalent of voting against the invention of the wheel. But couldn't she have come up with just one follow-up question for Biden on FDR's magnificent handling of the 1929 stock market crash?

Or here's a question the public is dying to know: "If Obama wanted a historically delusional vice president, why not Lyndon LaRouche?" At least LaRouche didn't vote against the Alaskan pipeline.

Be responsible
post #100 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coulter is so very clever; she hits it out of the ballpark. What I'd like to see is her debate Obama.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in