post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Well they still argue it's about copyright rather than promoting science and the arts.
That's not the line I was thinking about.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
And by the way, read the tenth amendment. If it isn't in the Constitution it goes to the State.
Actually it goes to the State, OR TO THE PEOPLE.

And of course the PEOPLE elect their Representatives to make laws for THEIR benefit and General Welfare. Interesting conundrum there.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Post Number 15

There is your answer.
There were THREE bolded sentences. You ASSUME you knew of which I was speaking. You were wrong.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
There were THREE bolded sentences. You ASSUME you knew of which I was speaking. You were wrong.
We've been through this before . . . the other bolded statement does not give free reign to do anything the fed wants. There are other governments within our boundaries.

And, ultimately, the fed promotes art and science through copyrights and patents according to the COTUS. But, I guess all those agencies cited are "good" unconstitutional programs and there's no other way to get them done. Maybe we should send more money to DC for the lobbyists, er, government to control.

post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
We've been through this before . . . the other bolded statement does not give free reign to do anything the fed wants. There are other governments within our boundaries.

And, ultimately, the fed promotes art and science through copyrights and patents according to the COTUS. But, I guess all those agencies cited are "good" unconstitutional programs and there's no other way to get them done. Maybe we should send more money to DC for the lobbyists, er, government to control.
Or we could realize that as a Democratic Republic [not a Constitutional Democracy] we have grown up since 1776 and matured as a Nation. And as a Democratic Republic we, the people have given our government representatives the right to make laws on our behalf [I think that is the reason we have that Congress thing]. And those Congressmen and Senators have, for some 230 years been doing just that. Some very good, some very bad, some braindead, some brilliant. But ALL have been scrutinized by the Executive Branch and subject to the Judiciary for review.

As I have said before, the Constitution is a great starting point for a Nation, is serves us well in that role. It is not, however a point by point roadmap, some of the points did not exist in 1776. It is simply an outline. The rest of the tools provided by that same group of guys are responsible for the stack of laws we have now - both good and bad.

Do I like them all, not even remotely. Many are wasteful. But in this time of the US losing patent wars with other countries and the US dropping in academic testing worldwide and the US losing in trade wars and the US falling behind in so many categories, the last thing we need to do is shortchange things like advanced sciences. Corporations are stripping R&D budgets to the bone or offshoring them. We need to push this country to be great again and we will do so with technological advances. MOST not mentioned in the Constitution.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #46 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^^
Or do it Bush's way, pretend that it doesn't exist
post #47 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I have and I am a big fan of his actually. I just wish he had a chance!
Thought maybe so. You and he are very divergent, however, on your views of the military action in Iraq.

So, you wanna help me round up these assholes who have taken over our party and kick their ass to the curb?
post #48 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Imperialist libertarian = Jumbo shrimp <-- (insert favorite oxymoron here)

Not buyin'.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #49 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Or we could realize that as a Democratic Republic [not a Constitutional Democracy] we have grown up since 1776 and matured as a Nation. And as a Democratic Republic we, the people have given our government representatives the right to make laws on our behalf [I think that is the reason we have that Congress thing]. And those Congressmen and Senators have, for some 230 years been doing just that. Some very good, some very bad, some braindead, some brilliant. But ALL have been scrutinized by the Executive Branch and subject to the Judiciary for review.

As I have said before, the Constitution is a great starting point for a Nation, is serves us well in that role. It is not, however a point by point roadmap, some of the points did not exist in 1776. It is simply an outline. The rest of the tools provided by that same group of guys are responsible for the stack of laws we have now - both good and bad.

Do I like them all, not even remotely. Many are wasteful. But in this time of the US losing patent wars with other countries and the US dropping in academic testing worldwide and the US losing in trade wars and the US falling behind in so many categories, the last thing we need to do is shortchange things like advanced sciences. Corporations are stripping R&D budgets to the bone or offshoring them. We need to push this country to be great again and we will do so with technological advances. MOST not mentioned in the Constitution.
Right . . . the COTUS is just a starting point, a list of helpful suggestions, and is no longer valid. Gotcha.
Guess those instructions on how to change it were just fluff as well.
Let me email the SCOTUS and tell them they're on their own.

post #50 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Imperialist libertarian = Jumbo shrimp <-- (insert favorite oxymoron here)

Not buyin'.
I don't think he's read all the course work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in