LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What was it that caused the mortgage crisis again?

YouTube - Burning Down The House: What Caused Our Economic Crisis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You're still singing that loans to black people was a bad thing
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
This American Life
"Alex Blumberg: To help explain out what happened, here's my partner for this hour, Adam Davidson, the international business reporter for NPR. Hey Adam.
Adam Davidson: Hey Alex.
Alex Blumberg: So, I guess the first thing we have to talk about is the global pool of money, right?
Adam Davidson: Right. The global pool of money. That's where our story begins. Most people don’t think about it but there’s this huge pool of money out there, which is basically all the money the world is saving now. Insurance companies saving for a catastrophe, pension funds saving money for retirement, the central bank of England saving for whatever central banks save for. All the world’s savings.

Ceyla Pazarbasioglu: It's a lot of money. It's about 70 trillion.

Adam Davidson: That is the head of capital market research at the International Monetary Fund, the place to go if you want know how much money is in the world.
Adam Davidson: How do we pronounce your name?
Ceyla Pazarbasioglu: That will take two minutes at least. It's Pazarbasioglu.
Adam Davidson: Pazarbasioglu.
Ceyla Pazarbasioglu. I'm very impressed.

Adam Davidson: And, by the way, before you finance enthusiasts start writing any letters, we do know that 70 trillion technically refers to that subset of global savings called fixed-income securities. Everyone else can just ignore what I just said. Let’s put 70 trillion dollars in perspective. Do this. Think about all the money that people spend everywhere in the world. Everything you bought in the last year, all of it. Then add everything Bill Gates bought. And all the rice sold in China and that fleet of planes Boeing just sold to South Korea. All the money spent and earned in every country on earth in a year: that is LESS than 70 trillion, less than this global pool of money.
Alex Blumberg: Wow, that is a lot of money.
Adam Davidson: It is a lot of money. And that money comes with an army of very nervous men and women watching over the pool of money: investment managers. This army is nervous because they don't want to lose any of that money and they also want to make it grow bigger. But to make it grow, they have to find something to invest in. So, for most of modern history, they bought really, really safe, really boring investments: things called treasuries and municipal bonds. Boring things. But then, right before our story starts, something changed, something happened to that global pool of money.

Ceyla Pazarbasioglu: This number doubled since 2000. In 2000 this was
about 36 trillion dollars.
Adam Davidson: So, it took several hundred years for the world to get to 36 trillion. Then, in six years, to get another 36 trillion.
Ceyla Pazarbasioglu: Yeah. There has been a very sharp increase.

Adam Davidson: How's the world get twice as much money to invest? Lots of things happened, but the main headline is all sorts of poor countries became kind of rich making TVs and selling us oil: China, India, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia. Made a lot of money and banked it. China, for example, has over a trillion dollars in its central bank, and there are office buildings in Beijing filled with math geniuses-real math
geniuses-looking for a place to invest it. And the world was not ready for all this money. There's twice as much money looking for investments, but there are not twice as many good investments. So, that global army of investment managers was hungrier and twitchier than ever before. They all wanted the same thing: a nice low-risk investment that paid some return. But then something happened to make matters worse, at this precise moment, one guy took one of that army's favorite investments and made it a lot less attractive.

Alex Blumberg: So, this is where we have to talk about Alan Greenspan, right?
Adam Davidson: We have to.
Alex Blumberg: Alright. But I'm going to promise the people here that this is the last time you're going to hear Alan Greenspan in this story. So bear with us.
Adam Davidson: Here is one of his speeches that really drove that army of investment managers crazy.

Alan Greenspan: The FOMC stands prepared to maintain a highly
accommodative stance of policy for as long as needed to promote satisfactory economic performance.

Adam Davidson: You might not believe me, but that little statement: that is Central Banker speak for “Hey, global pool of money - screw you.”
Alex Blumberg: Come on, that’s not what he said
Adam Davidson: It is! I speak central banker and that’s what he’s saying. What he’s technically saying is he’s going to keep the Fed Funds rate at the absurdly low level of one percent. It tells every investor in the world: you are not going to make any money at all on US treasury bonds for a very long time. Go somewhere else. We can’t help you. And so the global pool of money looked around for some low-risk, high-return investment. And among the many things they put their money into, there was one thing they fell in love with. To get it, they called Wall Street - a guy like this:

Mike Francis: My name is Mike Francis. During the beginning of the mortgage implosion, I was an executive director at Morgan Stanley on the residential mortgage trading desk.

Adam Davidson: Mike was one link in a chain that connected the global pool of money to its new favorite investment, these residential mortgages, the US housing market, and guys like Clarence Nathan.
Think how attractive a mortgage loan is to that 70 trillion dollar pool of money. Remember, they're desperate to get any kind of interest return. They want to beat that miserable 1 percent interest Greenspan is offering them. And here are these homeowners, they're paying 5, 7, 9 percent to borrow money from some bank. So what if the global pool could get in on that action? ..."

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton

Last edited by A264172; 09-26-2008 at 04:56 PM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Can't we all just agree that baby-boomers represent the most pathetic miscreant-riddled generation of piss-ant pork jello losers who have ever graced our great nation, and just move on?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
You're still singing that loans to black people was a bad thing
No, that's you and your assumption of racism. I'm saying that forcing our banks to loan money to people who could not afford the loans caused this. I'd like to think you're smarter than trying that racism bullshit, but I could be wrong.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Can't we all just agree that baby-boomers represent the most pathetic miscreant-riddled generation of piss-ant pork jello losers who have ever graced our great nation, and just move on?
Dude, you and I are at the tail of it They will eat up whatever resources are left for a descent retirement for the rest of us.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
No, that's you and your assumption of racism. I'm saying that forcing our banks to loan money to people who could not afford the loans caused this. I'd like to think you're smarter than trying that racism bullshit, but I could be wrong.
Couldn't you have picked something that put the blame on ALL of us for allowing stupidity? Those laws that were enacted to help the poor are not the source of the problem. The problem was greed!
Assholes like lenders are to blame for dropping trou as well as the educational system that never taught responsible accounting or at least simple math for the hordes that think that walking into a dealership based on a monthly payment in mind is the way to buy a car or a large screen TV and for God sake a mortgage. We are a nation of ignorant, that's not a label that should only be targeted on minorities that are easy pray for the lenders and brokers.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Couldn't you have picked something that put the blame on ALL of us for allowing stupidity? Those laws that were enacted to help the poor are not the source of the problem. The problem was greed!
Assholes like lenders are to blame for dropping trou as well as the educational system that never taught responsible accounting or at least simple math for the hordes that think that walking into a dealership based on a monthly payment in mind is the way to buy a car or a large screen TV and for God sake a mortgage. We are a nation of ignorant, that's not a label that should only be targeted on minorities that are easy pray for the lenders and brokers.
Those laws are exactly where the problem started. It was a dumbass way to help the poor. Everything in the video can be verified. I don't put all the blame on Democrats nor Obama, but I have a hard time swallowing all the bullshit posted in BWOT that blames NO ONE but G.B. and the republican party. By admitting that EVERYONE involved for the last 10-15 years has had a hand in this, you've earned your gold star for the day. Congratulations dear graduate.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Oh come on GB is part of this shit... we have future financial nitwits in the making as we speak: Have you hear of the No Child Left Behind?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Of course he is. He's a baby boomer.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in