MCCAIN TO SUSPEND CAMPAIGN AND WANTS DEBATE DELAY; FOCUS ON ECONOMY - Page 20 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozette View Post
The repubs are gonna get out of the bailout in numbers just short of causing it to not pass. Why? Because the general public does not understand it, and is against it in large majority. The repubs want it to pass, because anybody who knows what's going on knows that to not pass it means disaster, but they want to appear to agree with the public to get the votes.
If the ploy works, they keep the white house, and the plan causes the economy to recover on their watch, and the rabble continues to be clueless.
It is amazing that the Bush whitehouse is reduced to partnering with the Dems to effect some sort of rescue of the economy, and the repubs are reduced to a scam to make McCain seem the White Knight.

The blame game is here in these articles, but predictably the dems blame McCain, and the repubs say they had a plan all along. I am too biased to be neutral, but it seems like McCain is trying to deflect the news away from his sagging campaign, and his absurd V.P. choice.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...posal-fizzles/

Bailout Negotiations in Disarray - WSJ.com

So, at any cost............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Not arguing that. And any pillow is good.

Today I had lunch with a group of folks with the express intent of discussing "what job opportunities do we jump if this goes south?". Since lots of the current work will just stop [I am already seeing contracts halted or spread over longer time frames], what will be the new sweet spot. Or is it time to just retire [which seems mindnumbingly wrong]. I would not know what to do.
The public sector here in Cascadia is currently in lock-down mode, with a hiring and contracting freeze. I work in the transportation field, and it's now embroiled in a perfect storm of sorts. Lots of folks are stranded out in the burbs, and need to commute long distances into urban centers where most of the remaining jobs reside, so transportation has now become a much much larger percentage of their overall monthly expenditures. Demand for transportation alternatives, such as transit, rail, vanpool, bike/ped infrastructure, etc. is at an all-time high, yet the funds to effectively meet the need are contracting at an even faster rate (think gas tax). The Big-Three have scaled back their production lines for 7,10, 12 and 15 passenger vehicles, so vanpool operators can't secure enough stock to meet their massive waiting lists. crazy times, indeed
post #193 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
The public sector here in Cascadia is currently in lock-down mode, with a hiring and contracting freeze. I work in the transportation field, and it's now embroiled in a perfect storm of sorts. Lots of folks are stranded out in the burbs, and need to commute long distances into urban centers where most of the remaining jobs reside, so transportation has now become a much much larger percentage of their overall monthly expenditures. Demand for transportation alternatives, such as transit, rail, vanpool, bike/ped infrastructure, etc. is at an all-time high, yet the funds to effectively meet the need are contracting at an even faster rate (think gas tax). The Big-Three have scaled back their production lines for 7,10, 12 and 15 passenger vehicles, so vanpool operators can't secure enough stock to meet their massive waiting lists. crazy times, indeed

I am sure you can handle the overall Z but can't they import the Vans for the transport? Jesus there are so many makers now in Asia and even India?
post #194 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
I am sure you can handle the overall Z but can't they import the Vans for the transport? Jesus there are so many makers now in Asia and even India?
Federal Buy-America requirements currently preclude transits from purchasing foreign owned/made vehicles, including Sprinters, Siennas, Odysseys, etc.
post #195 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Federal Buy-America requirements currently preclude transits from purchasing foreign owned/made vehicles, including Sprinters, Siennas, Odysseys, etc.

Well can't argue with that, it's their money, well the taxpayers money under their rules.......maybe McCain can help you out in a few months he believes all cars are American.........
post #196 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qA3cpYiz5k

He speaks of a "private" money bailout with a gov't backstop, but there is no way the private money is gonna come in here, it's too risky.
I am wondering how the folks with retirement accts are gonna feel when the market tanks monday if the plan goes down and they lose another 10% in their 401k's.
I also get a bit of a kick out of republicans getting uppity about giving Paulson and the executive branch unlimited powers when they have been happy to give it to them on so many other issues. The only one who has any credibility on the issue is Mr. Paul who at least has been consistent throughout the last few years. I am the last person to buy into anything this administration says, I think they are reprehensible on many levels and am on the record as saying so, but this is an arena I live in every day, and the plan must go forward or we face disaster. The market tends to get things right, as monetary interest trumps politics in virtually all cases, and the market rallied on the plan, and falls on the current nonsense. If we had taken the libertarian approach from day one this would never have happened, but we didn't and it has, we need a fix. In 1929 Mr. Hoover said the economy is strong and we as a nation will survive and come out stronger, I am not sure if we did or not, but we had 10 years of hard times, bread lines, unemployment, and misery to do it.
Mr Bernanke is an expert on the depression era and he is for the plan, I think that holds some weight. Mr. Paulson, Mr. Frank, and many on both sides of the aisle support this, I think that holds weight. Neither candidate has any credibility on this, and neither sits on any of the relevant committees. They cannot be counted on to do anything but political posturing.
Mr. McCain suspending his campaign is a joke, they campaigned during the civil war for goodness sake, surely he can maintain his campaign during this.

When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest, at first with heavenly shows - Othello
post #197 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozette View Post
YouTube - McCotter: Republicans Oppose the Paulson Splurge

He speaks of a "private" money bailout with a gov't backstop, but there is no way the private money is gonna come in here, it's too risky.
I am wondering how the folks with retirement accts are gonna feel when the market tanks monday if the plan goes down and they lose another 10% in their 401k's.
I also get a bit of a kick out of republicans getting uppity about giving Paulson and the executive branch unlimited powers when they have been happy to give it to them on so many other issues. The only one who has any credibility on the issue is Mr. Paul who at least has been consistent throughout the last few years. I am the last person to buy into anything this administration says, I think they are reprehensible on many levels and am on the record as saying so, but this is an arena I live in every day, and the plan must go forward or we face disaster. The market tends to get things right, as monetary interest trumps politics in virtually all cases, and the market rallied on the plan, and falls on the current nonsense. If we had taken the libertarian approach from day one this would never have happened, but we didn't and it has, we need a fix. In 1929 Mr. Hoover said the economy is strong and we as a nation will survive and come out stronger, I am not sure if we did or not, but we had 10 years of hard times, bread lines, unemployment, and misery to do it.
Mr Bernanke is an expert on the depression era and he is for the plan, I think that holds some weight. Mr. Paulson, Mr. Frank, and many on both sides of the aisle support this, I think that holds weight. Neither candidate has any credibility on this, and neither sits on any of the relevant committees. They cannot be counted on to do anything but political posturing.
Mr. McCain suspending his campaign is a joke, they campaigned during the civil war for goodness sake, surely he can maintain his campaign during this.
That is exactly the reason the Bush administration and the Barney Frank crew wants to do it themselves; that's also exactly the reason we have NO BUSINESS signing up taxpayers to handle the bailout.
post #198 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
McCain will debate!

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) announces: "The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

The text of a statement from his camapign at about 11:20 a.m. Eastern:

John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress — especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday, where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

McCain will go to debate - Politico Staff - Politico.com

Don't believe everything you think
post #199 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
That is exactly the reason the Bush administration and the Barney Frank crew wants to do it themselves; that's also exactly the reason we have NO BUSINESS signing up taxpayers to handle the bailout.
History repeats itself. I don't think the private sector bailed America out of the last one of these and I don't think it is going to do it this time. If you have cash and everything continues to crash, why would you not wait until it was all in gutter and then pick and choose what nuggets you want to buy for $0.00001 on the dollar?

If we are going to avoid a disaster there is going to have to be a taxpayer funded bailout. Once the ship is afloat again we can argue how to unload the government's ownership of these assets. Until then I see us headed to a society of a century of indentured servants and a small group of royalty running things. Much smaller and much wealthier than we have today. Jim
post #200 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) announces: "The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

The text of a statement from his camapign at about 11:20 a.m. Eastern:

John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress — especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday, where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

McCain will go to debate - Politico Staff - Politico.com
The campaign will resume?? They never stopped. Ads were running, they were responding to questions from reporters...give me a break.

It's good to know, at least, that McCain and his vast army of sycophants is capable of focusing on more than one important thing at a time. Can't wait to see him get shellacked by Obama. Wonder if the ol' war hero will play the victim card somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in