AARP's 'best workplaces' focus on employees' health, careers
Not arguing that. And any pillow is good.
Today I had lunch with a group of folks with the express intent of discussing "what job opportunities do we jump if this goes south?". Since lots of the current work will just stop [I am already seeing contracts halted or spread over longer time frames], what will be the new sweet spot. Or is it time to just retire [which seems mindnumbingly wrong]. I would not know what to do.
AARP's top firms for those 50+ emphasize workers' health, career development
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- For many U.S. workers, their job may seem more a barrier to improving their health than an aid in that effort. Not so for the employees at firms on AARP's list of the 50 "best workplaces" for those 50 and older.
Top 50 employers for workers over 50
Companies interested in being considered for AARP's list fill out an application, including a detailed questionnaire. Their answers are scored, and then a panel of independent judges reviews the results. Before a final decision is made, each finalist is vetted by AARP representatives. About 173 companies applied for this year's list.
The following are the top 50 employers for workers over age 50, according to AARP.
1. Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
2. Scripps Health, San Diego
3. S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc., Racine, Wis.
4. The YMCA of Greater Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
5. Lee Memorial Health System, Fort Myers, Fla.
6. Securian, St. Paul, Minn.
7. First Horizon National Corp., Memphis, Tenn.
8. Stanley Consultants, Muscatine, Iowa
9. Bon Secours Richmond Health System, Richmond, Va.
10. Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Chicago
11. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
12. Central Florida Health Alliance, Leesburg, Fla.
13. Brevard Public Schools, Viera, Fla.
14. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
15. Atlantic Health, Morristown, N.J.
16. TriHealth, Inc., Cincinnati
17. Mercy Health System, Janesville, Wis.
18. Adecco Group North America, Melville, N.Y.
19. Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak, Mich.
20. L.L.Bean, Inc., Freeport, Maine
21. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
22. Jennings Center for Older Adults, Garfield Heights, Ohio
23. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham, N.C.
24. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
25. Pinnacol Assurance, Denver
26. Saint Vincent Health System, Erie, Pa.
27. National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Arlington, Va.
28. Centegra Health System, Crystal Lake, Ill.
29. Frankford Candy & Chocolate Co., Philadelphia
30. Nashoba Valley Medical Center, Ayer, Mass.
31. George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
32. Wells Fargo & Co., San Francisco
33. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, Newark, N.J.
34. Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
35. Northern California Presbyterian Homes & Services, San Francisco
36. Manheim, Atlanta
37. Acuity, Sheboygan, Wis.
38. DentaQuest, Charlestown, Mass.
39. The Aerospace Corp., El Segundo, Calif.
40. Express Personnel Services, Oklahoma City
41. Nevada Federal Credit Union, Las Vegas
42. Pepco Holdings Inc., Washington
43. Michelin North America, Greenville, S.C.
44. Intuitive Research and Technology Corp., Huntsville, Ala.
45. Pearson, Upper Saddle River, N.J.
46. CTTransit, Hartford, Conn.
47. Vanguard, Valley Forge, Pa.
48. Centers for New Horizons, Chicago
49. Hanson Professional Services, Inc., Springfield, Ill.
50. Finra, Washington
AARP's 'best workplaces' focus on employees' health, careers: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance