MCCAIN TO SUSPEND CAMPAIGN AND WANTS DEBATE DELAY; FOCUS ON ECONOMY - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sept. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire Warren Buffett, calling turmoil in the markets an ``economic Pearl Harbor,'' said his $5 billion investment in Goldman Sachs Group Inc. is an endorsement of the Treasury's $700 billion bank rescue plan.

``I am betting on the Congress doing the right thing for the American public and passing this bill,'' Buffett said on cable channel CNBC today. ``I certainly have a vote of confidence in Goldman and vote of confidence in Congress.''

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke are pushing Congress to quickly approve the proposal to remove illiquid assets from the banking system. Buffett is buying a stake in New York-based Goldman after three of the investment bank's biggest competitors collapsed or were forced into emergency sales.

``I think the Treasury will pay back the $700 billion and make a considerable amount of money,'' Buffett said, adding that if he had $700 billion on the government's terms to buy distressed assets, he would. ``Unfortunately, I'm tapped out.''

Goldman rose $4.95, or 4 percent, to $130 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading after Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. agreed yesterday to the investment. It will pay 10 percent interest and give Buffett the right to buy $5 billion in common stock in the next five years at $115 a share. ...

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Is this the same guy - Buffett - that you called some pretty unflattering things? Is this another Jayhawk about-face?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...et#post2664309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I don't know which is worse, the drive-by media outlets or that old fart Buffet...
Quote:
"...knowing something about money" has NOTHING to do w/ being rich! He is an old fart who has a leftwing political agenda. Let him pay our taxes for us.

Then this...(snicker)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...et#post2860639

Quote:
I studiously avoid all Buffet BS! He has a hand full of talented people investing his money for him, but I have found his pronouncements to be singularly w/out merit. Regardless, I am always prepared and will do well no matter what happens w/ the economy.
Took a while to find it, because you can't spell Buffett.

Last edited by Qubes; 09-24-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Is this the same guy - Buffett - that you called some pretty unflattering things? Is this another Jayhawk about-face?
Yes. No.

Don't believe everything you think
post #93 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ah; so then you take Buffett's involvement as a sure sign that the bailout is a bad idea.
post #94 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Ah; so then you take Buffett's involvement as a sure sign that the bailout is a bad idea.
No.

Don't believe everything you think
post #95 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
She's a pistol, isn't she?

She does go off half-cocked..........
post #96 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Neither McCain nor Obambi was trying to "make public policy." But only McCain put his country above his campaign.
Note to Jaybaugh from Senator McCain's Campaign:
With his campaign tanking because the country sees him for the old gas bag he is, Senator McCain thanks you for buying his shit so eagerly. He will strive to make some more to shit to sell you, once he gets his Metamucil supplier refinancing help so he can maintain a suitable inventory.....

Jim
post #97 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
"When you call up, and you call up at the last minute and you cancel the show, Ladies and Gentlemen, that’s starting to smell. This is not the John McCain I know, by God. It makes me believe that something is going haywire with the campaign. I don’t know. Somebody’s gotten to him and somebody said, ‘You know what, blow Letterman off. He’s a lightweight.’

But here’s what you do. Sure there’s an economic crisis, and here’s what you do if you’re running for campaign in the middle of an economic crisis and it’s about to crater. That’s a quote from him. I love that expression. The economy is about to crater. Well, I’d like to see that! Here’s what happens, the economy is about to crater. You’re a senator. You’re a fourth-term senator from Arizona. You go back to Washington. You handle what you need to handle. Don’t suspend your campaign. You let your campaign go on, shouldered by your vice presidential nominee, that’s what you do. You don’t quit….or is that really a good thing to do?

This guy doesn’t have an ounce of quit in him. So all of a sudden, we’re suspending the campaign? Look, if I drop dead right now, my hand to God, Paul’s taking over the show. You say, “I’ve got to get back to Washington to save this country.” Good for you. “And while I’m gone, campaigning in my stead will be my great running mate from the state of Alaska, Sarah Palin.” And she comes out and campaigns. What happened there? What’s the problem? Where is she? Why isn’t she doing that?

So I don’t know. But you heard it here first. This doesn’t smell right. This just doesn’t smell right. This is not the way a tested hero behaves. Somebody’s putting something in his Metamucil." -- David Letterman
ATTENTION McCain Campaign braintrust who decided that three minutes on Katie Couric [most likely for damage control from the Palin interview] was a better choice than the 30 minute shellacking he got from Dave for blowing him off with a LIE. And THAT will be distributed by email everywhere tomorrow [I have already received two]. If you didn't watch it, check it out, unless you are NeoCon. If NeoCon, you might think about ignoring it. With last second sub Keith Olbermann, it wasn't pretty. I think Sarah! came out looking sorta, ummmm...poor.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #98 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
[IMG]MCCAIN: America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis.
what the fuck happened here jay? i thought the economy was sound and shit... are you still buying this shit? bon apetit.

in political asylum
post #99 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes free= stress free
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Down 6-8% points.

Poor John. I like the man, I really do and I think he cares. He's like my dad, only my dad didn't get shot down.

I dont see how he could HELP being in Washington.

I don't see how a hiatus can HELP his campaign. You would think when your down you would roll out the big cannons.

John McCain said he would rather loose a campaign... Well. pulling out of a large nationally televised and moderated debate won't help win. Admirable or Dumb? Well even if he loses hell be a-okay.

2001 SAAB 9-3 SE w/ H.O.T
2010 Ford Edge SEL... I secretly love it.

Previous whips
2006 CLS500, 1988 300TE, 2003 HD VRSCA, 1995 C220, 1999 SLK230 Sport, 2003 E55 AMG, ,2001 Honda Shadow ACE 1100, 2001 M3 Cabrio, 1999 E55 AMG, 1992 500SL, 1997 E50 AMG W210, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1990 230E W124, 1992 400E W124, 1993 190E 2.6, 1983 380SEC, 1997 325iAC, 1995 M3, 1988 325i Cabrio, 1979 320i E21
post #100 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
She does go off half-cocked..........
the alaskan roulette.. one empty chamber.

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in