Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The Case For Gridlock

Remember that term? For you kids, most recently, you heard it brandied about during the Clinton years. Nobody could agree on anything (meaning congress and the President). It was derided, it seems, in the news media and by talking sphincters like Rush Limbaugh who has built his business on divisiveness.

But is gridlock actually a bad thing? I had been wondering for quite a while, and if you just look at the last period of gridlock years, the economy as a whole did remarkably well when that tension existed. In short, as I've said elsewhere, only that which EVERYONE agreed must be done actually got signed and funded.

Well, I finally asked Google the right question, and found this gem.

CFA: Gridlock's Gone, Now What?

In short, "harmony" (the opposite of gridlock) is found to result in the following conditions:

* Unfavorable inflation/interest rate developments
* More beneficial to small-cap companies; very unfavorable to T-bills and bonds.

Here's some math so simple even Jayhawk can understand.

Increased legislative action = more government spending as a percentage of GDP = bad for the economy.

Remember the year that was 2006? Not our government's finest hour as it applies to finance.

2006 Fiscal Policy Year in Review: Process Failures, Budgetary Gridlock - Federal Budget - OMB Watch
2006 was a busy year in federal fiscal policy. As in 2005, the regular budget process broke down almost entirely, increasingly urgent issues were neglected, and much time and attention were devoted to consideration of items and priorities seen by many as insignificant and misguided.

As a result, the nation continues to see its overall debt grow at an alarming rate, to the point where interest expense payments on it are the fastest-growing area of spending. Despite this, the President and Congress remained as focused as ever on enacting still more tax cuts, almost all of which strongly favor the wealthy, provide only marginal broader economic benefits, and dig the country into an ever-deeper deficit hole.
So obviously the democrats have no real fiscal conservatives; they gotta go. Obama/Biden, then straight-Republican for congress.

Intentional gridlock fever. Catch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
So obviously the democrats have no real fiscal conservatives; they gotta go. Obama/Biden, then straight-Republican for congress.

Intentional gridlock fever. Catch it.
Where did that conclusion come from re: Dems and fiscal conservatives? It was during the Clinton years that we moved from a deficit spending to balanced to surplus budget. That is pretty fiscally conservative.

Is what you are really looking for the traditional Checks and Balances that came into play in 2007 when the Dems took over both houses of Congress? That seems to me to be more productive than Gridlock, where NOTHING seems to get done. And while "nothing" can be a good thing, it also has proven to be a bad thing as we have become more and more politically polarized.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
gridlock is anti change so it can be comfy. i sure was praying, lol, for gridlock with both the gov and the mayor and it's not happening.. so, screwed we are. the mayor is a total novice and is pulling some idiotic stuff but the council is now repo too and they just rubber stamp everything, so far. fucking idiots.

the gov is the 'oops i forgot a few zeros' Mitch Daniels

in political asylum
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Where did that conclusion come from re: Dems and fiscal conservatives? It was during the Clinton years that we moved from a deficit spending to balanced to surplus budget. That is pretty fiscally conservative.

Is what you are really looking for the traditional Checks and Balances that came into play in 2007 when the Dems took over both houses of Congress? That seems to me to be more productive than Gridlock, where NOTHING seems to get done. And while "nothing" can be a good thing, it also has proven to be a bad thing as we have become more and more politically polarized.
Democrats have no fiscal conservatives now, or at least none anyone listens to, because the 2006 congress continued, unabated, down the course set by the "harmonious" government we had from 2001 on.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Q, I liked your old avatar better. Somehow it made you seem smarter.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Democrats have no fiscal conservatives now, or at least none anyone listens to, because the 2006 congress continued, unabated, down the course set by the "harmonious" government we had from 2001 on.
The review you provided was for the 2006 Congress which was Republican led in both House and Senate. The 2007 Congress is the one that had Democratic leadership. And in 2007 we did trim the deficit spending by 30% for that year. It came back up in 2008 and will continue up due to all this banking stuff. It is not, however due to any "liberal" spending policies or laws that were enacted.

The earmark bill helped cut some of the excess by requiring names to be attached to them. Checks and Balances helped even more.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Proportional Representation: Democracy For Everyone

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
The review you provided was for the 2006 Congress which was Republican led in both House and Senate. The 2007 Congress is the one that had Democratic leadership. And in 2007 we did trim the deficit spending by 30% for that year. It came back up in 2008 and will continue up due to all this banking stuff. It is not, however due to any "liberal" spending policies or laws that were enacted.

The earmark bill helped cut some of the excess by requiring names to be attached to them. Checks and Balances helped even more.
That's what I get for posting at a late hour.

I actually feel better knowing I was wrong. But still think we could use at least 4 years of gridlock to let things simmer down now.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
Hey Q, I liked your old avatar better. Somehow it made you seem smarter.
Well, I'm not.

I mean smart. I'm not smart, Robert. So this is much more comfortable. You know, I can be "me" with this avatar. I don't have to worry about high expectations, anymore. It says, "Look - this is me...don't get your hopes up."

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know what you mean Q, my avatar says the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in