APYAHOO: One-third of white Democrats harbor negative views toward blacks... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
APYAHOO: One-third of white Democrats harbor negative views toward blacks...

WASHINGTON (AP) - Deep-seated racial misgivings could cost Barack Obama the White House if the election is close, according to an AP-Yahoo News poll that found one-third of white Democrats harbor negative views toward blacks—many calling them "lazy," "violent" or responsible for their own troubles.
The poll, conducted with Stanford University, suggests that the percentage of voters who may turn away from Obama because of his race could easily be larger than the final difference between the candidates in 2004—about 2.5 percentage points.

Certainly, Republican John McCain has his own obstacles: He's an ally of an unpopular president and would be the nation's oldest first-term president. But Obama faces this: 40 percent of all white Americans hold at least a partly negative view toward blacks, and that includes many Democrats and independents.

More than a third of all white Democrats and independents—voters Obama can't win the White House without—agreed with at least one negative adjective about blacks, according to the survey, and they are significantly less likely to vote for Obama than those who don't have such views.

Such numbers are a harsh dose of reality in a campaign for the history books. Obama, the first black candidate with a serious shot at the presidency, accepted the Democratic nomination on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, a seminal moment for a nation that enshrined slavery in its Constitution.

"There are a lot fewer bigots than there were 50 years ago, but that doesn't mean there's only a few bigots," said Stanford political scientist Paul Sniderman who helped analyze the exhaustive survey.

The pollsters set out to determine why Obama is locked in a close race with McCain even as the political landscape seems to favor Democrats. President Bush's unpopularity, the Iraq war and a national sense of economic hard times cut against GOP candidates, as does that fact that Democratic voters outnumber Republicans.

The findings suggest that Obama's problem is close to home—among his fellow Democrats, particularly non-Hispanic white voters. Just seven in 10 people who call themselves Democrats support Obama, compared to the 85 percent of self-identified Republicans who back McCain.

The survey also focused on the racial attitudes of independent voters because they are likely to decide the election.

Lots of Republicans harbor prejudices, too, but the survey found they weren't voting against Obama because of his race. Most Republicans wouldn't vote for any Democrat for president—white, black or brown.

Not all whites are prejudiced. Indeed, more whites say good things about blacks than say bad things, the poll shows. And many whites who see blacks in a negative light are still willing or even eager to vote for Obama.

On the other side of the racial question, the Illinois Democrat is drawing almost unanimous support from blacks, the poll shows, though that probably wouldn't be enough to counter the negative effect of some whites' views.

Race is not the biggest factor driving Democrats and independents away from Obama. Doubts about his competency loom even larger, the poll indicates. More than a quarter of all Democrats expressed doubt that Obama can bring about the change they want, and they are likely to vote against him because of that.

Three in 10 of those Democrats who don't trust Obama's change-making credentials say they plan to vote for McCain.

Still, the effects of whites' racial views are apparent in the polling.

Statistical models derived from the poll suggest that Obama's support would be as much as 6 percentage points higher if there were no white racial prejudice.

But in an election without precedent, it's hard to know if such models take into account all the possible factors at play. ...

Poll: Racial misgivings of whites an Obama issue

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes free= stress free
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, but... Its not like were putting one of the Ying-Yang Twins in da House G.

If 1/3 of democratic whites are racist then 2/3 to all GOP whites are racist.

You just aren't making valid points for yourself. Are you trying to say that the friendly happy shiny GOP loves everyone and that the dems are the real racists? Or are you trying to say that all white people feel a bit racist?

Why do people feel they can't make original threads in OT?

2001 SAAB 9-3 SE w/ H.O.T
2010 Ford Edge SEL... I secretly love it.

Previous whips
2006 CLS500, 1988 300TE, 2003 HD VRSCA, 1995 C220, 1999 SLK230 Sport, 2003 E55 AMG, ,2001 Honda Shadow ACE 1100, 2001 M3 Cabrio, 1999 E55 AMG, 1992 500SL, 1997 E50 AMG W210, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1990 230E W124, 1992 400E W124, 1993 190E 2.6, 1983 380SEC, 1997 325iAC, 1995 M3, 1988 325i Cabrio, 1979 320i E21
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I'm just sayin'... that Bark Obambi had better not be takin' democRAT votes for granted...

Get it now Skippy?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
YouTube - Pavarotti & Barry White - My first, my last, my everything

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Thank you!

My two favorite singers performing my favorite song!! Wow!

I'd never seen that before. Just wish they were still alive...

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
YouTube - Queen - All Dead, All Dead (high Quality)

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:04 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I'm just sayin'... that Bark Obambi had better not be takin' democRAT votes for granted...

The lemming is fapping.......
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

Get it now Skippy?
But the survey does not ASSUME that they will turn to McCain.

It also doesn't address folks who don't trust women to run things or the elderly. So there are several variables at play here that the surveys simply don't address and conclusions can't be drawn from just one variable.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I wish him well because he's not a Prussian Gypsy. I fuckin' hate Prussian Gypsies!!!!!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Why do people feel they can't make original threads in OT?
Because they’re incapable of original thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in