post #61 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I'll assume you mocked the ridiculous stimulus check idiocy this summer for the same reason.

Or perhaps you didn't...
I am not pumped about this stimulus check thing. While it can work in pure theory, the practical application, while being somewhere between $10 and $13Trillion in Debt with inflation is just not a good mathematical model.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I'll assume you mocked the ridiculous stimulus check idiocy this summer for the same reason.

Or perhaps you didn't...
I really had no opinion or concern about the earlier rebate, despite what appears to me to have had a stronger rationale than just election pandering. And, I haven't yet claimed mine. And you? Did you refuse yours on principle?

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #63 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I was not entitled to a check, nor do I know a single person who received one. In any case, you have clarified your position, it isn't the concept as much as its source.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #64 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Let's remember kiddies, the DOW is a reflection of only 30 Stocks large STOCKS, many of which are INTERNATIONAL and gain value due to the weak dollar. It does not, in any way reflect the condition of the US Economy, simply the condition of the DOW.

Now, let's look at specific components that made that glorious leap.

EXXON up 100% in 5 years, and 250% in the past 10 years.

Chevron up 248% in the past 5 years and 300 in the past 10.

Walmart is up 461% in the past 10 years, much dependent on the $5Trillion trade deficit and trade imbalance with China.

So, when we look at the DOW components we see that several players, and I only looked at these three, may have had big growth but they did so at the expense of 300Million Americans who pay 250% more at the pump than they did when Bushie came into office.
Ahhhhh... It's Mr. Sunshine. What took you so long to show up and try to spoil the party?

I understand the Dow and what it does and doesn't represent. But I believe those very long lines of Americans waiting to buy an expensive and useless status symbol speak volumes about the condition of our US economy! Get over it Sunshine...

YouTube - You are my sunshine

Don't believe everything you think
post #65 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Would predict more than 65% of those in the line are buying the thing as a status symbol and worse yet, are buying it on credit with money they don't have laying in the bank...............

Ordered and on the way..........
Pics of a 2009 VW Touareg V6 TDI Black/Beige
Is that right ? I didn't realise the KrautTouret is so popular in Jerkata.
post #66 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My July Fresno Stimulus check is still folded up in my wallet. I've been trying to figure out the best way to stimulate whatnot--got any ideas?
post #67 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Is that right ? I didn't realise the KrautTouret is so popular in Jerkata.

That Kraut Touret as you call it comes with a Euro II engine specifically built and used here, in Africa and countries where good quality diesel is not so much avaiable. Of course the more advanced you are as a nation the higher the quality of diesel fuel and the higher classification of diesel engine is imported hence Singapore has Euro IV diesels but I was discussing this with a Singapore taxi driver today regarding the diesels there and he said the govt. is currently phasing out Euro IV and only importing Euro V diesel engines now, here the higheset a diesel engine that can be imported is a Euro IV as the higher grade diesel is just not available (we did have a gray market dealer import a Euro VIII car and engine, stopped in it's tracks as soon as the fuel hit the filter). The national fuel distributor, here, Pertamina sells Diesel for IDR 5,500 per liter (about 0.62 cents US) which works out to about 2 USD for every US gallon (of course with this kind of price it is obviously subsidized by the Indonesian govt.).

So make all the jokes you want, Muffin, I will be the one laughing when I fill that 100 liter tank up for a little over 60 USD and getting the same options, power, ride and handling from the Touareg just as I had in my E.............

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 09-21-2008 at 01:00 AM.
post #68 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Ah... the Republik of Singepore. Hanged any hippies lately ?
post #69 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:03 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Ah... the Republik of Singepore. Hanged any hippies lately ?

No but they sure don't like anyone caught with ANY drugs, I believe there is a possibility of an Australian journalist/TV reporter swinging before it is all over. Hee was caught selling speed or heroin just a few months ago, don't know whent he trial but if nothing else he is in jail for a mighty long time.....
post #70 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Back on topic...

The new Census Bureau data on income and poverty reveal that many of the economic trends in this country are a lot more favorable than America's detractors seems to think. In 2007, overall real median family income increased to $50,233, up $600 from 2006. The real median income for intact families -- mother and father in the home -- rose to $78,000, an all-time high.

Although incomes fell sharply in the U.S. after the dot-com bubble burst in 2000 (and still haven't fully recovered), these latest statistics reflect a 25-year trend of upward economic mobility. More important, Barack Obama is wrong when he states on his campaign Web site that the economic policies started by Ronald Reagan have rewarded "wealth not work." Based on this false claim -- that the rich have benefited by economic growth while others have not -- he intends to raise tax rates on high-income individuals.

To be sure, there has been a massive amount of wealth created in America over the last 25 years. But tax rates were cut dramatically across the income spectrum, for rich and poor alike. The results?

When all sources of income are included -- wages, salaries, realized capital gains, dividends, business income and government benefits -- and taxes paid are deducted, households in the lowest income quintile saw a roughly 25% increase in their living standards from 1983 to 2005. (See chart nearby; the data is from the Congressional Budget Office's "Comprehensive Household Income.") This fact alone refutes the notion that the poor are getting poorer. They are not.

Looking at the last two business cycles (first year of recovery to first year of recovery), this low-income group experienced a 10% rise in their inflation-adjusted after-tax incomes from 1983 to 1992 and then another 11% rise from 1992 to 2002). Roughly speaking, the Reagan and Clinton presidencies were equally good for them. Income gains over the last 30 years have been systematically understated due to several factors. These include: ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...Tabs%3Darticle

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in