Worst Crisis Since '30s, With No End Yet in Sight - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
With China carrying so much U.S. Government debt, the crisis will surely affect the Chinese economy.
In the made in China tool sector, we have seen some items almost double in price within the last 12 month, due to a 60%+ cost of iron ore, higher oil = higher shipping expenses, and the drop in the value of the once almighty U.S. dollar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
With China carrying so much U.S. Government debt, the crisis will surely affect the Chinese economy.
In the made in China tool sector, we have seen some items almost double in price within the last 12 month, due to a 60%+ cost of iron ore, higher oil = higher shipping expenses, and the drop in the value of the once almighty U.S. dollar
On the manufacturing side Asia won't be hurt at all. But on the finanicial market it will affect all of us. Just now all are taking a lead from the American market, but for how much longer?? The almighty U.S dollar just got a kick in the pants

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.

Last edited by eric242340; 09-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
You get the picture I'm sure. But so many (American) financial istitutions falling appart at the same time???? It does not help confidence in the international markets.
Here's an article you really should read...

The Resilience of American Finance - WSJ.com

Don't believe everything you think
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Here's an article you really should read...

The Resilience of American Finance - WSJ.com
Could we get some articles from the original Wall Street Journal, before Rupert Murdoch turned it into the print version of Faux "Newz". They had credibility then.

Now they are cheerleaders and shills for their advertisers.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Could we get some articles from the original Wall Street Journal, before Rupert Murdoch turned it into the print version of Faux "Newz". They had credibility then.

I would agree the quality and consistency have declined , and shown the hand of an outside influence. Some of the articles reflected poor choice of material and the presence of some yet unknown agenda. I can't recall which but sometimes I wonder why in the world would they waste print on those topics when there is so much other more relevant business news.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

Any outlet w/ which you disagree is Faux "Newz" or "cheerleaders and shills for their advertisers." Don't you ever tire of this BearShit? I sure do!

Don't believe everything you think
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes free= stress free
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The economy is fundamentally sound..uh at risk.

I agree with jay 100%. 3% growth in the last quarter a 4% rally today.

I mean look, If we can afford a 3 trillion dollar war and a couple hundred billion in goverment bailouts to overzealous investment banks. Whats to say we cant afford a few hundred billion more, here in america we can do ANYTHING, I say everyone just runs up all their credit cards until they die. Buy a house you can't afford, get that new CLS or S65. borrow money to buy everything even though you have a decent income. Have fun and live life to its fullest cause this is America Yeee Haaaaeeewww The point is....It's working for our government. Right? 9.6 trillion dollars? chump change.

2001 SAAB 9-3 SE w/ H.O.T
2010 Ford Edge SEL... I secretly love it.

Previous whips
2006 CLS500, 1988 300TE, 2003 HD VRSCA, 1995 C220, 1999 SLK230 Sport, 2003 E55 AMG, ,2001 Honda Shadow ACE 1100, 2001 M3 Cabrio, 1999 E55 AMG, 1992 500SL, 1997 E50 AMG W210, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1990 230E W124, 1992 400E W124, 1993 190E 2.6, 1983 380SEC, 1997 325iAC, 1995 M3, 1988 325i Cabrio, 1979 320i E21
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I talk facts! It's the Kookbergers who are talking gobbledygook!!

Our economy is NOT in crisis as the Kookbergers here love to say. Our economy is still growing, at more than 3% in the last quarter. The Kookbergers, and Obambi crowd, desperately want to see people standing in soup lines to further their desperate campaign. The only people I see standing in lines these days are the ones waiting to buy new iPhones!
Maybe you just don't go back to the section of town where the guy with the baton is.

Is this what you are thinking about. And NO, nobody wants to see this. We want to see this shit stopped.

In hard times, tent cities rise across the country
Since foreclosure mess, homeless advocates report rise in encampments

Associated Press
updated 4:36 p.m. ET, Thurs., Sept. 18, 2008
RENO, Nev. - A few tents cropped up hard by the railroad tracks, pitched by men left with nowhere to go once the emergency winter shelter closed for the summer.

Then others appeared — people who had lost their jobs to the ailing economy, or newcomers who had moved to Reno for work and discovered no one was hiring.

Within weeks, more than 150 people were living in tents big and small, barely a foot apart in a patch of dirt slated to be a parking lot for a campus of shelters Reno is building for its homeless population. Like many other cities, Reno has found itself with a "tent city" — an encampment of people who had nowhere else to go.

From Seattle to Athens, Ga., homeless advocacy groups and city agencies are reporting the most visible rise in homeless encampments in a generation.

Nearly 61 percent of local and state homeless coalitions say they've experienced a rise in homelessness since the foreclosure crisis began in 2007, according to a report by the National Coalition for the Homeless. The group says the problem has worsened since the report's release in April, with foreclosures mounting, gas and food prices rising and the job market tightening.

"It's clear that poverty and homelessness have increased," said Michael Stoops, acting executive director of the coalition. "The economy is in chaos, we're in an unofficial recession and Americans are worried, from the homeless to the middle class, about their future."

Caught by surprise
The phenomenon of encampments has caught advocacy groups somewhat by surprise, largely because of how quickly they have sprung up.

"What you're seeing is encampments that I haven't seen since the 80s," said Paul Boden, executive director of the Western Regional Advocacy Project, an umbrella group for homeless advocacy organizations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Calif., Portland, Ore. and Seattle.

The relatively tony city of Santa Barbara has given over a parking lot to people who sleep in cars and vans.

The city of Fresno, Calif., is trying to manage several proliferating tent cities, including an encampment where people have made shelters out of scrap wood.

In Portland, Ore., and Seattle, homeless advocacy groups have paired with nonprofits or faith-based groups to manage tent cities as outdoor shelters.

Other cities where tent cities have either appeared or expanded include include Chattanooga, Tenn., San Diego, and Columbus, Ohio.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development recently reported a 12 percent drop in homelessness nationally in two years, from about 754,000 in January 2005 to 666,000 in January 2007. But the 2007 numbers omitted people who previously had been considered homeless — such as those staying with relatives or friends or living in campgrounds or motel rooms for more than a week.

In addition, the housing and economic crisis began soon after HUD's most recent data was compiled.

"The data predates the housing crisis," said Brian Sullivan, a spokesman for HUD. "From the headlines, it might appear that the report is about yesterday. How is the housing situation affecting homelessness? That's a great question. We're still trying to get to that."

In Seattle, which is experiencing a building boom and an influx of affluent professionals in neighborhoods the working class once owned, homeless encampments have been springing up — in remote places to avoid police sweeps.

Tent cities rise across the country - Life - MSNBC.com

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Any outlet w/ which you disagree is Faux "Newz" or "cheerleaders and shills for their advertisers." Don't you ever tire of this BearShit? I sure do!
I only label Murdoch owned NewsCorp companies as Faux Newz. WSJ fits that criterion.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy380SEC View Post
I agree with jay 100%. 3% growth in the last quarter a 4% rally today.

I mean look, If we can afford a 3 trillion dollar war and a couple hundred billion in goverment bailouts to overzealous investment banks. Whats to say we cant afford a few hundred billion more, here in america we can do ANYTHING, I say everyone just runs up all their credit cards until they die. Buy a house you can't afford, get that new CLS or S65. borrow money to buy everything even though you have a decent income. Have fun and live life to its fullest cause this is America Yeee Haaaaeeewww The point is....It's working for our government. Right? 9.6 trillion dollars? chump change.
See Jay, Zoomies know how to think. We were well trained [except for that misplacing nukes every once in a great while thingie].

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in