LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OUR LITTLE SARAH

Here is an email I received the other day. All the talking points of the Dems?
Things look bad for her

Palin recently said that the war in Iraq is "God's task." She's even admitted she hasn't thought about the war much—just last year she was quoted saying, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

Palin has actively sought the support of the fringe Alaska Independence Party. Six months ago, Palin told members of the group—who advocate for a vote on secession from the union—to "keep up the good work" and "wished the party luck on what she called its 'inspiring convention.'"

Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.

Palin doesn't believe that humans contribute to global warming. Speaking about climate change, she said, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being manmade."

Palin has close ties to Big Oil. Her inauguration was even sponsored by BP.

Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Palin opposes comprehensive sex-ed in public schools. She's said she will only support abstinence-only approaches. As mayor, Palin tried to ban books from the library. Palin asked the library how she might go about banning books because some had inappropriate language in them—shocking the librarian, Mary Ellen Baker. According to Time, "news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor."

She DID support the Bridge to Nowhere (before she opposed it). Palin claimed that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. But in 2006, Palin supported the project repeatedly, saying that Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."

The plain fact of the matter is that Sarah Palin did a bang-up job delivering a Karl Rove-style political attack speech last night. That makes her a skilled politician but it doesn't make her views any more palatable for voters. Americans don't really want another far-right, anti-science ideologue in the White House.

Please help get the word out about where Sarah Palin really stands on the issues

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
So one may garner from your statement or more precisely lack of one, that you are in the belief
that the talking points in this email are factual?

reserved.
post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I can't vouch for their veracity, but they sound about right for Caribou Barbie's religious zealotry and utter lack of substance
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
So one may garner from your statement or more precisely lack of one, that you are in the belief
that the talking points in this email are factual?
While many of the pieces of information do, indeed appear based on fact, the "talking points" are that she lacks experience in Foreign Policy, Economics and has not been vetted by either a national electorate or a national press.

Most of the points mentioned above are somewhat ancillary to the big ones but still important in making a voting decision.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
While many of the pieces of information do, indeed appear based on fact, the "talking points" are that she lacks experience in Foreign Policy, Economics and has not been vetted by either a national electorate or a national press.

Most of the points mentioned above are somewhat ancillary to the big ones but still important in making a voting decision.

Please don’t confuse Palin for Obama!

reserved.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Is the Democratic Party "protecting" Obama from the big, bad media? Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can support Ms. Palin under that bizarre and embarrassing circumstance.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Our Little Sarah-Truth! & Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
An email titled "Our Little Sarah" containing various points about Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin's policies, decisions, beliefs and platform planks.

The Truth:
We got many of these from subscribers and visitors to TruthorFiction.com We found these points posted in the Daily Kos and various other blog sites so we thought we would try to address them one by one.
Depending on one's perspective, some of these could be good or bad points for a Vice Presidential candidate.

Palin recently said that the war in Iraq is "God's task."- Fiction!

A recent Reuters article led us to the Assemblies of God Church where she addressed a graduating class of students in Wasilla, Alaska. We found the video and the Governor's exact words after she mentioned that her son who just joined the Army and being deployed to Iraq was: "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right, also for this country. That our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out for on a task that is from God. That is what we have to make sure what we are praying for that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan. So, bless them with your prayers, your prayers of protection over our soldiers."

Click here for the video

She's even admitted she hasn't thought about the war much—just last year she was quoted saying, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq." -Truth! - but not the whole truth!

From a MSNBC report dated September 8,2008 we know that Governor Sarah Palin was interviewed by Alaska Business Monthly shortly after she took office in 2007.

Governor Palin was asked about her thoughts about the upcoming surge and told the reporter "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place; I want assurances that we are doing all we can to keep our troops safe. Every life lost is such a tragedy. I am very, very proud of the troops we have in Alaska, those fighting overseas for our freedoms, and the families here who are making so many sacrifices."

The actual Alaska Business Monthly site where this quote is supposed to appear is under reconstruction has not put up any 2007 issues for viewing.

In July of 2007 Governor Palin did fly to Kuwait to visit the soldiers from Alaska.

Click for press release

Palin has actively sought the support of the fringe Alaska Independence Party. Six months ago, Palin told members of the group—who advocate for a vote on secession from the union—to "keep up the good work" and "wished the party luck on what she called its 'inspiring convention.'"- Fiction!

We went to the Alaskan Independent Party web site and found a notice posted regarding Governor Sarah Palin. AIP Chairman Lynnette Clark did mistakenly make a statement that Governor Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party. Clark issued an apology and posted a retraction. We found an ABC news Blog dated September 01, 2008 that looked into the claims that she was going to become an AIP member but stated that McCain Spokesperson, Brian Rogers told ABC News that Governor Palin has been a GOP member since the day she registered to vote. Governor Palin addressed the AIP and the video we found on YouTube shows her clearly using terms like "your party."

Click here for AIP retraction

Click for YouTube Video

Click for ABC news Blog

Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact. -Open for discussion!

Palin told the Anchorage Daily News in an article dated October 27,2006, “I don’t think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn’t have to be part of the curriculum,”

The article mentioned that Governor Palin is the daughter of a science teacher and believes that all views should be discussed in order to gain infomation. When asked for her personal views on evolution, the article quotes Palin, "I believe we have a creator." and went on to say, "I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be."

On September 5th, 2008 Fox news reported that Palin said during her 2006 gubernatorial campaign that she would not push the state Board of Education to add creation-based alternatives to the state’s required curriculum, or look for creationism advocates when she appointed board members. She has kept this pledge, according to the Associated Press.

Click for Anchorage Daily News Story

Click for Fox news top 7 myths story

Palin doesn't believe that humans contribute to global warming. Speaking about climate change, she said, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being manmade." - Missed the point!

On May 21, 2008 The Associated Press reported that the State of Alaska called to reverse a decision that the polar bear was endangered.

According to the article she and other Alaska elected officials feared that the listing would cripple oil and gas development in prime polar bear habitat areas off Alaka's northern and northwestern coasts.

The article goes on to say, "Palin stated that climate models that predict continued loss of sea ice, the main habitat of polar bears, during summers are unreliable. She and other state officials called arbitrary a decision to list a healthy species judging by what they deem uncertain modeling of future climate change and unproven long-term impact of any future climate change on the species."

Governor Palin wasn't speaking aboiut climate change, she was talking about the endangered listing of polar bears.

Click for article

Palin has close ties to Big Oil. Her inauguration was even sponsored by BP. - Unproven!

According to a news report at the NBC affiliate KTUU on August 21, 2007 Todd Palin took a leave of absense from his BP job when his wife Sarah became governor of Alaska. Later that year Todd returned to the company as an oil-field operator, a non management position where he would not be making any decisions for the company.

Governor Palin stated, "If I thought there would be a conflict of interest, where I was going to be doing any favors for one company because my spouse happened to be a union hand, blue-collar for that company, I would be the first to say, 'This isn't right, I don't like it and it's not going to happen.'"

Click for KTUU story

Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest. -Truth!

It is no eRumor that Sarah Palin is Pro-Life and a strong believer in the sanctity of life. She has 5 children and her youngest baby, Trig, was born with Down Syndrome and at her acceptance speech she promised to be a voice in Washington for parents of children with special needs. Her daughter, Bristol, is also expecting a child.

According to Ontheissues.org, a non-partisan information site for voters, she posted this on her 2006 campaign web site "I am pro-life and I believe that marriage should only be between and man and a woman. I am opposed to any expansion of gambling in Alaska." The old link to her 2006 site now redirects clicks to the McCain/Palin 2008 Campaign site. Ontheissues also posted this quote regarding a televised debate: Palin said she would support abortion only if the mother's life was in danger. When it came to her daughter, she said, "I would choose life."

But Governor Palin isn't running for Alaska Governor today, she is running for Vice President on the 2008 Republican platform which is already on the internet which states, "At its core, abortion is a fundamental assault on the sanctity of innocent human life. Women deserve better than abortion. Every effort should be made to work with women considering abortion to enable and empower them to choose life"

Click here for GOP 2008 Platform in Adobe Acrobat PDF format

Palin opposes comprehensive sex-ed in public schools. She's said she will only support abstinence-only approaches. -Fiction!

Although she is against abortion, we found a September 6, 2008 LA Times article stating Governor Sarah Palin, is "pro- contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues," which she said during a debate in Juneau.

Page 45 of the GOP 2008 platform," Abstinence from sexual activity is the only protection that is 100 percent effective against out-of wedlock pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS when transmitted sexually."

As mayor, Palin tried to ban books from the library. -Fiction!

Truthorfiction.com has this posted in on a separate page.

Click here for our findings.

She did support the Bridge to Nowhere (before she opposed it). Palin claimed that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. But in 2006, Palin supported the project repeatedly, saying that Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist." -Truth!

The Gravina Island bridge would provide access to Ketchikan's airport on lightly populated island, opening up new territory for expansion at the same time. Discussion of the the federal funding for this bridge has been on the table for quite some time.

According to a Washington Post article dated September 8, 2008 "Palin appeared before the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce in September 2006 and indicated support for the bridge project. The Washington Post quotes an account in the Ketchikan Daily News. "This link is a commitment to help Ketchikan expand its access, to help this community prosper,"

According a the August 31, 2008 USA TODAY story, Palin supported federal funding for the bridge connecting an island to the mainland while she was campaigning for the office of Alaska's Governor but later changed her mind.

Governor Palin's office issued a press release where she said, “Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer. Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it’s clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island,”

Our Little Sarah - Truth! and Fiction!

reserved.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Please don’t confuse Palin for Obama!
I would see where you would get 18 months of campaigning, countless TV interviews, press conferences, debates and public meeting, 18million votes and being looked at by every Democrat during that time as similar to a three hour call from McCain for "vetting".

And I realize Obama can't see Russia from his house but hey, life's rough.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
No one can take advantage of someone who is qualified and ready to sit in the big chair. If you don't have the answers or you can't take the heat, you simply aren't ready.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in