Why Jayhawk? - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I've seen more stimulating conversations between a crazy homeless person and his toe jam than most of what Jay posts passes for. I don't see the fascination, honestly, unless this is just re-living debate class for some of you guys. The missing component is a position, of any kind, that is genuinely his. We don't need Jayhawk to regurgitate random, controversial crap from the internet - or worse - selecting stuff from the internet that is beating the same dead horse; auto-trolling. There's nothing stimulating about that, because a robot could do the same thing.

The allure of this place is the opportunity to persuade, and to be persuaded, by those who have different experiences and opinions, and to emerge a better person for the effort (better informed, more well-rounded, more considered in your opinions, etc). Or at the very least, to casually meet and talk to people you'd otherwise never run into.

By these measures, our fowl falls terribly short; and spends no small amount of time here, just......I can't figure it out.
Well, I think where it comes in is in the details. While a post by Jay [or me] will start as a Point/Counterpoint debate of left and right philosophies, as other post in, the conversation broadens, the subject matter becomes more textured and the conversation becomes lively, informative and usually entertaining. Do we change minds, NO. Is that the motives, I don't think so on most issues.

While the initial trigger might be the top ten stories from Drudge, from which we pick and choose a couple that work, it does take a catalyst to get the conversation going. If every story came from the RIGHT, and all the members agreed with it, there wouldn't be a BWOT. Same if they sourced from the LEFT or MARS.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
There's only one hole in your theory here, Jay seems nearly incapable of engaging in civil discourse. Once a point is raised that challenges his view, he cannot consider it, cannot counter it, cannot respect that there may be more than one solution to a given puzzle, and usually cannot even bolster his own argument. He just becomes unintelligibly shrill and attempts to shout down anyone within earshot. Kinda like sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling LALALALALALA....... as loud as he can until the source of his disquiet is driven away. mcbear, you are the only person here that even attempts to engage him in any serious fashion most days, and I'm not the only one who is awestruck by your patience.
Part of it is the mental exercise. I seem to require somewhat rapidfire conversations from various sources. It is why, while on here I am also on TotalFark and ZoomieNation plus contribute to a couple of other blogs.

I guess part of the feeling is to just get information out. I have a friend who is a PhD Economist at NYU and he says that part of his inner self is simply driven to push people to think about the things that are important instead of the fluff. And he thinks that I have it worse than him. I can't argue with a guy with two PhDs and a wife who is a former model.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

When a new J'ism [Jay thread] shows up when I am on another screen or computer I oft times look at it and have this Mystery Science 3000 feeling as I start typing. It becomes its own level of entertainment - what will be the next chapter, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Really.

Ha ha ha, that's rich! I've had the same MST3k feeling on BWOT, as well
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Well, I think where it comes in is in the details. While a post by Jay [or me] will start as a Point/Counterpoint debate of left and right philosophies, as other post in, the conversation broadens, the subject matter becomes more textured and the conversation becomes lively, informative and usually entertaining. Do we change minds, NO. Is that the motives, I don't think so on most issues.

While the initial trigger might be the top ten stories from Drudge, from which we pick and choose a couple that work, it does take a catalyst to get the conversation going. If every story came from the RIGHT, and all the members agreed with it, there wouldn't be a BWOT. Same if they sourced from the LEFT or MARS.
I think possibly you skipped over QBN's point in the post copied over again below:


Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
..... The missing component is a position, of any kind, that is genuinely his. We don't need Jayhawk to regurgitate random, controversial crap from the internet - or worse - selecting stuff from the internet that is beating the same dead horse; auto-trolling. There's nothing stimulating about that, because a robot could do the same thing.

The allure of this place is the opportunity to persuade, and to be persuaded, by those who have different experiences and opinions, and to emerge a better person for the effort (better informed, more well-rounded, more considered in your opinions, etc). Or at the very least, to casually meet and talk to people you'd otherwise never run into.

By these measures, our fowl falls terribly short; and spends no small amount of time here, just......I can't figure it out.


Assuming we are past the "Jaybaugh is ruining the BWOT" theme at the beginning of this thread, and you read what QBN wrote above, he nailed exactly what gets under my skin. In fact, I used to have a hard time with VD for the same principle of operation - it was like VD was an Atari 64 virus that managed to be hooked up to the internet and turned the discussion of politics into a kind of Pong! game. Only, as has been pointed out, you could actually engage VD upon occasion and that seems virtually impossible with Jaybaugh as the most you get from him is more off kilter quotes from the far reaches of whatever extreme right wing group he can find, whether it is blatantly racist (only a real pattern since Obama came on the scene), or sexist or directly attacks every paragraph of the Bill of Rights. There is no more to Jaybaugh's posts "from him" than the effort it took to cut and paste or copy some distorted view of the world and post it like it was an honest assessment. Which is what QBN described above in many fewer words but is what bugs me about him most. And, I find it very much a stretch of the truth to attribute anything positive to his efforts.

So, while I consider Jaybaugh an irritating asshole, analogous to crab grass in my lawn, the fix is essentially poisonous - and you won't know what else is lost until it is gone.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I think possibly you skipped over QBN's point in the post copied over again below:




Assuming we are past the "Jaybaugh is ruining the BWOT" theme at the beginning of this thread, and you read what QBN wrote above, he nailed exactly what gets under my skin. In fact, I used to have a hard time with VD for the same principle of operation - it was like VD was an Atari 64 virus that managed to be hooked up to the internet and turned the discussion of politics into a kind of Pong! game. Only, as has been pointed out, you could actually engage VD upon occasion and that seems virtually impossible with Jaybaugh as the most you get from him is more off kilter quotes from the far reaches of whatever extreme right wing group he can find, whether it is blatantly racist (only a real pattern since Obama came on the scene), or sexist or directly attacks every paragraph of the Bill of Rights. There is no more to Jaybaugh's posts "from him" than the effort it took to cut and paste or copy some distorted view of the world and post it like it was an honest assessment. Which is what QBN described above in many fewer words but is what bugs me about him most. And, I find it very much a stretch of the truth to attribute anything positive to his efforts.

So, while I consider Jaybaugh an irritating asshole, analogous to crab grass in my lawn, the fix is essentially poisonous - and you won't know what else is lost until it is gone.

Jim
So the issue distills down to "The missing component is a position, of any kind, that is genuinely his. ". Discounting the shotgun approach of posting up everything that everyone has already read on Drudge and Faux, that further distills it down to his passion for everything Bushie. And not the good kind.

Maybe in the flurry of posts where there are tons of White House Press Briefing dialog or Rushspeak, I glean at least some of that as Jayspeak. Articulated in a cut and paste fashion but Jayspeak nonetheless.

Now the pong concept that you bring up is somewhat less helpful as extracting REAL opinion is difficult.

But maybe that is just part of the "Study of Jay".

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 AM
BenzWorld Elitist
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Location: United States
Posts: 11,333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay takes a tremendous amount of abuse in this forum. This thread is just one example. Has he earned most of it? Sure. But the fact remains that he takes it. And as prolific as he is with his threads, many of which indeed run along a line between spam and trolling, he nearly always strikes chords and gets tons of responses.

Remember how love and hate are two sides of the same coin? The really harsh thing is indifference. Who's indifferent to Jayhawk? Hardly anyone, it seems. Thus, his triumph.
Marsden is offline  
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There really should be three "effs" in indiffferent.
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
There's only one hole in your theory here, Jay seems nearly incapable of engaging in civil discourse. Once a point is raised that challenges his view, he cannot consider it, cannot counter it, cannot respect that there may be more than one solution to a given puzzle, and usually cannot even bolster his own argument. He just becomes unintelligibly shrill and attempts to shout down anyone within earshot. Kinda like sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling LALALALALALA....... as loud as he can until the source of his disquiet is driven away. mcbear, you are the only person here that even attempts to engage him in any serious fashion most days, and I'm not the only one who is awestruck by your patience.
What the fuck did I do to you? On a bit of a tear are we? My feelings are hurt and my ego struck dumb. Sniff, sniff. All I wanted was a few friends to call my own and a place where we could all share ideas and feelings without the usual barriers. I am heart broken and disenchanted and now might possibly need to see a shrink, it is a shrink after all that must be paid exorbitantly in order for them to suffer through our little neurosis of silly suffering notes. Maybe on some better day we can all hold hands around the campfire and snort some smores.
Shane is offline  
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude
 
isthisdave's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Location: InTransition
Posts: 21,645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Boo!! What Your Startle Reflex Says About Your Politics

Political views are often so staunchly held that one wonders whether they aren't hard-wired into a person's genes. Indeed, in the past, twin studies have suggested that DNA may play a role in determining political attitudes. Although no one has yet discovered a gene for, say, supporting the war in Iraq, a small new study by political scientists at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and other institutions reports another association between a person's biology and his politics.
Related



The study, published in the September 19 issue of the journal Science, involved 46 Nebraska residents with strong political convictions. Researchers examined the link between each participant's stated political views and his or her physiological response to a perceived threat in the lab. People with stronger measurable threat responses, the study found, tended to adhere to "socially protective" political policies, or those that suggest more concern for preserving the social unit — for example, supporting the Iraq war and the death penalty, but opposing abortion rights and gay marriage...



Boo!! What Your Startle Reflex Says About Your Politics - TIME
isthisdave is offline  
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
What the fuck did I do to you? On a bit of a tear are we? My feelings are hurt and my ego struck dumb. Sniff, sniff. All I wanted was a few friends to call my own and a place where we could all share ideas and feelings without the usual barriers. I am heart broken and disenchanted and now might possibly need to see a shrink, it is a shrink after all that must be paid exorbitantly in order for them to suffer through our little neurosis of silly suffering notes. Maybe on some better day we can all hold hands around the campfire and snort some smores.
You are damaging my calm. LALALALALALA.......

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Hey Jayhawk mlfun Off-Topic 2 09-04-2008 03:51 PM
    Where's Jayhawk the clk man Off-Topic 6 08-29-2008 12:54 PM
    Bruce R or Jayhawk?? deathrattle Off-Topic 17 08-08-2008 08:16 AM
    Something for Jayhawk deathrattle Off-Topic 4 11-22-2007 09:39 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome