Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
While it is not easy, it is the right thing to do. You will fall off the wagon many times, and have to pull yourself back up. After a while it may give you cause to question why you come here. Letting noise drive you away is a sign of getting old, and no one wants to get old.

Jim
I ask for everyone's patience and forgiveness in advance.

Anyone wanna see the note from my doctor regarding the Tourette's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
No, I believe you have this a bit backwards, that because you are viewing the situation through an inappropriately ubiquitous eye. As I alluded to earlier, Carlson was a 30 yo lightweight with little experience and no clout when he landed the position on Crossfire, as such it is doubtful that he wielded any substantial influence over editorial content of the fixed format show.

Later, on MSNBC, he was given some free rein to do his own thing, and presented a very different character than the one he portrayed on Crossfire. His failure on MSNBC was, IMHO, the result of even-handed non-partisanship, and a rather flat, generic personality. All reason, no treason makes for a dull boy.

Whether Carlson was a libertarian playing a republican while doing Crossfire, or his political bent evolved as he aged is difficult to ascertain, though there is some evidence to suggest the former.

And yes, Robin Williams and Jon Stewart are both more talented by far, than Tucker Carlson. I actually prefer Colbert to Stewart, but that's just me.
Ok, I guess I think if you are correct he should have been let go a long time ago, before anyone actually got to know his name and felt compelled to waste time writing about his lack of skills to do what he was doing. Jim
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I ask for everyone's patience and forgiveness in advance.

Anyone wanna see the note from my doctor regarding the Tourette's?
Have Post #35 made into a refrigerator magnet.

And Jim is right, I've fallen off that very wagon many times since I took VD (VirginaDude from another forum) off ignore 5 - 6 years ago, but I never had a problem with VD again.

Now for the bad news, VD was a far more likable and personable fellow than the bane of your existence, IMO. Sorry.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I don't believe by any of those measures that *I* could be called "partisan". To say nothing of the fact that I've called for the abolition of the party political system in the United States on more than one occasion. But maybe those questions weren't really directed at me specifically.
You're clearly not. And they weren't aimed at you or anyone in particular, just food for thought. I've had my time with a couple of them, but my rose colored glasses busted during the last 8 years or so . . .

post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
This is what EVERYONE needs to have on their wall in front of their desk. See it every day. Read it every day and understand what it means.

Party should have nothing to do with the analysis.

My only suggestion is go to TWO years. Hold Congressmen's feet to the fire firmer and closer than that of the President. You can get access to your Congressman and if everyone does it, that impact is more significant.
Did you see the part about him wanting a return to gridlock?

post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Have Post #35 made into a refrigerator magnet.

And Jim is right, I've fallen off that very wagon many times since I took VD (VirginaDude from another forum) off ignore 5 - 6 years ago, but I never had a problem with VD again.

Now for the bad news, VD was a far more likable and personable fellow than the bane of your existence, IMO. Sorry.
I've considered something along those lines....that's good stuff.
post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Jay's approach isn't likely to influence anyone here, but I do believe he knows exactly what he's doing when pushing buttons on here.
I am not sure that he pushes buttons all the time as much as brings up points that get counterpoints. Buttonpushing? Yes and no but many times triggers for really good conversation with 10-15 participants.

When a new J'ism [Jay thread] shows up when I am on another screen or computer I oft times look at it and have this Mystery Science 3000 feeling as I start typing. It becomes its own level of entertainment - what will be the next chapter, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Really.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
I expect to re-evaluate these positions in 4 years time, and vote based on the strategy I think will best serve the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBear
This is what EVERYONE needs to have on their wall in front of their desk. See it every day. Read it every day and understand what it means.

Party should have nothing to do with the analysis.

My only suggestion is go to TWO years. Hold Congressmen's feet to the fire firmer and closer than that of the President. You can get access to your Congressman and if everyone does it, that impact is more significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Did you see the part about him wanting a return to gridlock?
I saw that. And as I have posted prior, I am a firm believer in Checks and Balances. A fully loaded Democratic Government can be as dangerous as a fully loaded Republican [or NeoCon] Government has proven to be.

What I strongly URGE is that "hold your congressman's feet to the fire" part. OR, better yet, establish a viable third party slate of congressional candidates that provide that very important "swing" to gain majority. It does not have to be that many to wield power. THEN we have true Checks and Balances and the beginning of a foundation for a viable Third Party.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
When a new J'ism [Jay thread] shows up when I am on another screen or computer I oft times look at it and have this Mystery Science 3000 feeling as I start typing. It becomes its own level of entertainment - what will be the next chapter, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Really.
I've seen more stimulating conversations between a crazy homeless person and his toe jam than most of what Jay posts passes for. I don't see the fascination, honestly, unless this is just re-living debate class for some of you guys. The missing component is a position, of any kind, that is genuinely his. We don't need Jayhawk to regurgitate random, controversial crap from the internet - or worse - selecting stuff from the internet that is beating the same dead horse; auto-trolling. There's nothing stimulating about that, because a robot could do the same thing.

The allure of this place is the opportunity to persuade, and to be persuaded, by those who have different experiences and opinions, and to emerge a better person for the effort (better informed, more well-rounded, more considered in your opinions, etc). Or at the very least, to casually meet and talk to people you'd otherwise never run into.

By these measures, our fowl falls terribly short; and spends no small amount of time here, just......I can't figure it out.
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I am not sure that he pushes buttons all the time as much as brings up points that get counterpoints. Buttonpushing? Yes and no but many times triggers for really good conversation with 10-15 participants.

There's only one hole in your theory here, Jay seems nearly incapable of engaging in civil discourse. Once a point is raised that challenges his view, he cannot consider it, cannot counter it, cannot respect that there may be more than one solution to a given puzzle, and usually cannot even bolster his own argument. He just becomes unintelligibly shrill and attempts to shout down anyone within earshot. Kinda like sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling LALALALALALA....... as loud as he can until the source of his disquiet is driven away. mcbear, you are the only person here that even attempts to engage him in any serious fashion most days, and I'm not the only one who is awestruck by your patience.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in